Opening Openrocket - can't seem to get it done

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifleshooter

Reaction score
Team, I've downloaded Openrocket and have attempted to open it - with no luck.

I've gone through every step of uninstalling Java, re-installing Java, re-downloading Openrocket...

I'm at my wit's end here. When I double-click or "open with" I get a flash of a terminal screen, which disappears.

Any ideas?

Hi,

You've tried it by right-clicking and selecting Run with -> Java?

You could try running it from the command line to get any possible error messages. Save the JAR file to the C:\ root folder. Then from the startup menu type in "cmd" (or select Run command -> cmd in WinXP). In the terminal screen type in "cd \" and "java -jar OpenRocket-1.1.9.jar". This should allow you to see what's going wrong.

Regards,
Sampo N.

Well, I've tried everything. Still get a flash of the command screen, then nothing. I've uninstalled everything, reinstalled everything AGAIN, tried using the cmd prompt which got me nowhere, and still can't get it to open.

BTW, I'm running Windows 7. Tried downloading 32-bit Java which is what's on the machine now. I've tried looking at permissions. Nothing. Should I try the 64 bit Java? I think that's what was automatically downloading from Oracle last time.

Well, kids, it's working from Sampo's suggestion. I'm not sure why, or how, or what I did this time to get it to work (I did change some access permissions through Windows Firewall that seemed to indicate a duplicated Java permissions issue; one of the instances was deselected) but I hope I can get it to work again.

Sampo should know....he wrote OpenRocket! Glad you got it going.

FWIW I'm setting up a new Windoze 7 Home Premium machine I just received (an Acer AO722) and OR ran first time out of the box, so to speak, when I tried it earlier today.

Hi,

No idea what's going wrong without getting some error info. My guess is that some error message is flashing in the terminal, in which case without the message it's pretty impossible to dig deeper. An alternative is that it's being started with some different application than Java - though that should be ruled out by Run with -> Java. Overall sounds like some problem (possibly a bug) with the Java installation.

Regards,
Sampo N.

Back