OpenRocket guided tours

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sampo

Reaction score
Hi,

Based on the ideas on the hints thread and some prototype work by Luca Barone, I've been working on creating a "guided tour" functionality for OpenRocket. It's shaping up quite nicely, but there's still the job of creating the actual tours. :)

The idea is to have a set of "slides" for various topics, where there's a screenshot and a few lines of descriptive text. This is pretty similar to what Jeff already did in the previous thread: https://comp.uark.edu/~jpummil/OR-Start.pdf

Rather than having a single long tour, I think it would be better to have many short ones (5-20 slides each). The tours can link to one another, so at the end of a tour it can link to further ones of interest. Some ideas for tours could be:
  • Introduction (quick description of what OR is for and a look at the UI)
  • Constructing a simple rocket
  • Defining motor configurations
  • Simulating flight
  • Design analysis
  • Rocket optimization
Would someone be interested in helping write some of these? I can provide more details on how to create them if people are interested.

Cheers,
Sampo N.

1. the link doesn't work
2. how about starting the tours with a simple how-to of how to enter a nose cone, how to enter a body tube, how to enter a motor mount, etc.

How about a guided tour of installing OpenRocket on an Intel Macbook running OSX 10.5.8?

I have gone round and round, and still no joy. The about my computer thing says I have java 5 and java 1.4?

I have downloaded a couple of java update things from Apple. Still no java 6.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

Haz...

If you've downloaded Open Rocket and it is still a .jar file...try the following:

Open a terminal on your Mac and type java -jar <full name of OR file you downloaded> and hit enter.

It should launch. If not, post the error(s)

Hazmat54;

Java 1.4 is no longer supported and is disabled by default.

What version of OS-X are you using and do you remember what update version you have for Java?

Hazmat54;

Java 1.4 is no longer supported and is disabled by default.

What version of OS-X are you using and do you remember what update version you have for Java?

I am using OSX 10.5.8

Java 5 is what it says I am using in the Java preferences. From what I have read elsewhere, I need Java 6 to run OpenRocket. Can'tfind out how to get Java 6.

I am using OSX 10.5.8

Java 5 is what it says I am using in the Java preferences. From what I have read elsewhere, I need Java 6 to run OpenRocket. Can'tfind out how to get Java 6.

Okay, you're using the same OS as me on a 21" intel iMac.

The latest and greatest for Java is Update 10. I have that installed and OR is working fine.

Just in case you are running a older Update version, here is the link I have for you, just in case.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1359

Back