How to make homemade igniters.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naahh....

Never drank coffee,don't drink coffee. Prefer my caffeine cold, as in Coke or Dew.

But in my defense this is where I learned about using one & did so AFTER reading the safety guide 101 outlined, which I recommend to anyone making motors.
https://www.skylighter.com/fireworks/basic-safety-101.asp

Note the highlighted in RED letters.

Surviving many incidents has taught me 1 thing. If there is the slightest chance of something going wrong, it will. [Murphy's Law]

So eliminate or avoid dangerous elements at all cost. That's why I pitched it, even though I had no problems.

Picture 2.png

best way to go about it is to go to Quickburst.net and buy his mixture. You can also buy igniter kits from him that contain shooter wire (the yellow wire) and nichrome (the small wire that gets hot and ignites the pyrogen). Safer and more reliable than making your own pyrogen :)

We can just drive to him :grin:

Dave's a great guy and makes quality products, definitely don't skip on him!

Braden

To all concerned, I would like to state that I am the person that GByrum referred to that taught him to make ignitors. I would like to clear up a few points...#1 - the only propellant used in the ignitor base I taught him is Pyrodex there is NO black powder in this recipe. I chose Pyrodex because it is a propellant and burns slower than BP and is safer to work with. #2 - the nitrocellulose laquer that was created by dissolving ping pong balls in acetone is used as a glue and sealant and is not meant to be part of the pyrogen. I also used Al powder to assist in creating the heat necessary to ignite composite motors. This is a BASE pyrogen and is NOT the complete recipe, I NEVER give out the full recipe.

Unlike gbyrum, I do not and will NEVER use a coffee grinder for anything related to rocketry or related chemicals. When I grind down Pyrodex it is done covered in acetone while I am outside away from all dwellings. Please understand when I found out that gbyrum used a coffee grinder to grind Pyrodex my teachings on ignitors ceased immediately. I no longer associate with gbyrum for many reasons! As a side note I have never charged any amount of money for the ignitors others got from me. I found that the cost to make these was so minimal that I have them freely. I do not create any product for rocketry or any other chemical based hobby without following the strictest of safety precautions.thank you for the opportunity to clear this up. I apologize for any inconveniences or unsafe methods that were wrongfully given.
THANK YOU, DARKRIDER

just gonna say...you put saltpeter in your coffee grinder before or after your morning coffee?:eyepop:

From Wikipedia:
Health concerns
Sodium nitrate forms nitrosamines – human carcinogens known to cause DNA damage and increased cellular degeneration. Studies have shown a link between increased levels of nitrates and increased deaths from certain diseases including Alzheimer's, diabetes mellitus and Parkinson's, possibly through the damaging effect of nitrosamines on DNA.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_nitrate#Health_concerns

Just pointing out the hazards.

Back