Quantcast
How to make homemade igniters.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

How to make homemade igniters.

I was at a local launch and someone flying had some homemade igniters.

he said he striped wires, dipped them into a chemical mixed with epoxy.

what are the chemicals that he used?

Any help on making my own igniters woud be great.

Thanks all.

best way to go about it is to go to Quickburst.net and buy his mixture. You can also buy igniter kits from him that contain shooter wire (the yellow wire) and nichrome (the small wire that gets hot and ignites the pyrogen). Safer and more reliable than making your own pyrogen
    TRA #13945
    Level 1: 06/10/11 Level 2: 10/08/11 Level 3: 11/9/13
    Mega Squat 11.5" Squat

Quote Originally Posted by edwinshap1 View Post
    best way to go about it is to go to Quickburst.net and buy his mixture. You can also buy igniter kits from him that contain shooter wire (the yellow wire) and nichrome (the small wire that gets hot and ignites the pyrogen). Safer and more reliable than making your own pyrogen
    You're right. It's not safe to make your own. If you have some decent experience with handling explosive mixtures, then making your own really isn't that hard. I've done it but I have a lot of experience behind me. Pyrogen recipes aren't too hard to find.

If you have some decent experience with handling explosive mixtures
    Igniter pyrogen is NOT an explosive.

Quote Originally Posted by DeeRoc29 View Post
    Igniter pyrogen is NOT an explosive.
    Mishandling the gunpowder it's made with can be though.

I've tried and had limited success and failure with others, but I've always had good success, products, and service from Rocketfile
    Jeff Gortatowsky
    Redondo Beach, CA. NAR 70988 Level 2
    2014 Stats: Flights: 40
    Approximate Total Impulse: 5,776.Ns (Equivalent to a 13% M motor.)
    Approx. Average Cost per flight: $14.23USD
    Approx. Total RETAIL Cost: $569USD (Not what I paid)

Link will take you to: About me, Flights, and Fleet

--------------------
    "One does not believe in science. Science is a set of methods for inquiry of that which is real, not a belief system. -- Doctor Steven Novella

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Byrum View Post
    Mishandling the gunpowder it's made with can be though.
    They dont use gunpowder either.
    Christopher Short
    TRA #10247 L3 TAP
    NAR #83000 L3CC
    Prefect #38
    www.csrocketry.com
    850-554-6531

Start with a kit

Start with a kit. making your own pyrogens should be avoided unless you have experience.
    -----------------------
    Chuck Haislip
    NAR/Tripoli Level 3 Prefect ICBM - TRA #60

Level 1 - LOC Minie Magg; Level 2 - PR Broken Arrow;
    Level 3 - 10 inch Nike Smoke
    Ns for Year: 2250 but back in the USA. Builds starting today!!!!
    My rockets usually fly naked. If they survive, they earn their paint.

Come fly with ROSCO or ICBM in Orangeburg SC => http://rocketrysouthcarolina.com/ind...erid=$1-ChuckH

Quote Originally Posted by tbonerocketeer View Post
    They dont use gunpowder either.
    Just because "THEY" don't use gunpowder doesn't mean there aren't other reliable options. Guys, let's not get into a pissing match here. There a 1001 recipes for baking a cake. I'm sure there are a great many ways to make a pyrogen. Not everybody uses the same recipe. I'm sure that mine requires the need for caution when making it. but it's reliable.

Just because "THEY" don't use gunpowder doesn't mean there aren't other reliable options. Guys, let's not get into a pissing match here. There a 1001 recipes for baking a cake. I'm sure there are a great many ways to make a pyrogen. Not everybody uses the same recipe. I'm sure that mine requires the need for caution when making it. but it's reliable.
    I'm not. I was just pointing out to you that gunpowder isn't used in pyrogen. Making igniters is the same as making propellant. Find someone who does it, watch them, learn and then do it yourself. If you handle the ingredients with the respect they deserve, you will be ok.
    Christopher Short
    TRA #10247 L3 TAP
    NAR #83000 L3CC
    Prefect #38
    www.csrocketry.com
    850-554-6531

I'm not. I was just pointing out to you that gunpowder isn't used in pyrogen. Making igniters is the same as making propellant. Find someone who does it, watch them, learn and then do it yourself. If you handle the ingredients with the respect they deserve, you will be ok.
    tbone, I'm not going to argue with you about this. Gunpowder may not be used in some cases but people that make their own igniters can and will. I can even make my own propellants. I've been doing it for longer than you have been alive. So please, don't preach to the choir.

tbone, I'm not going to argue with you about this. Gunpowder may not be used in some cases but people that make their own igniters can and will. I can even make my own propellants. I've been doing it for longer than you have been alive. So please, don't preach to the choir.

What are you talking about? You stated that it was not safe to make igniters as they use explosive mixtures. Then that gunpowder was in them and it is dangerous. I just simply said that igniters don't have to have gunpowder in them, and that it is safe if you choose to take the proper care. I compared it to making propellant, which i also do. It doesn't matter that you claim to have been making motors longer than i have been alive. You talk like you don't really know much about it. Later
    Christopher Short
    TRA #10247 L3 TAP
    NAR #83000 L3CC
    Prefect #38
    www.csrocketry.com
    850-554-6531

Igniters

Most igniters I have seen do not contain blackpowder. I have seen a couple recipes, but I avoid them. Magnesium based igniters burn hotter.
    -----------------------
    Chuck Haislip

Come fly with ROSCO or ICBM in Orangeburg SC => http://rocketrysouthcarolina.com/ind...erid=$1-ChuckH

I started with a dip kit - Magnalite from Rocketflite. Others are out there too, but I never tried them. Other posters recommended some of them.

I then followed some recipes I found online, then tried modifications (changing the binder for example), and still trying to get it just right. Learning from a local is the best method. IMO.

Like making propellant, I wouldn't do this to 'save money.' I burned quite a few testing. I've thrown out entire batches, etc. Balancing effectiveness, reliability, not having the crumble, not having the 'pop' instead of light, etc are all issues.

Make sure to cover the nichrome wire completely. Any crack after drying that exposes the nichrome will make a failure very likely. The nichrome often burns through here with nothing to light.

The other fun part is making them small enough to fit in the smaller nozzles.

I will add that formulae have different degrees of sensitivity. Learn the proper methods of handling. Heat, static, shock, etc can ignite the stuff (depends on the formula).

Mix small batches - don't try to save it. Don't use it if it dries out completely. Avoid glass containers (shrapnel). Don't mix dry chemicals.

I make my own and have for years. I read an artical in High Power Mag about enhancing the igniters used in HP rocketry. The author used Thermalite crushed and glued using thickened airplane dope. His photos show burning bits of Thermalite shooting out of the flameball.

When it started to get hard to obtain Thermalite I looked for a substitute. I found a bunch of old wire-cored 4th of July sparklers. Started dipping igniters in crushed sparkler. Just a small amount would make a glowing orb of whatever color sparkler I used with blue seemingly the hottest, not that it mattered. I then came up with an even cheaper igniter. When yardsaleing one weekend I found a spool of Army surplus field phone wire. Got some 36 gauge NiChrome wire off of eBay and stripping 3/8ths of an inch of wire then put 6 winds of wire on. Super Glue the wire then dipped in sparkler. Mostly just 1 dip, sometimes two. As solder doesn't stick to the wire I can't solder the NiChrome but that doesn't seem to matter. I check the continuity after I'm done with a batch and have never had a failure.

I'll have to shoot some photos later to show what I have.
    TRA #2967 SAM #0512

"Isn't gravity a funny thing?" - Todd Rundgren

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT7fK...324A43291EDD47

Black Powder / Gunpowder are basically the same. 2 variations in the chemical mixture are, Potassium Nitrate, charcoal/carbon and sulfur. The 2nd variation is without the sulfur.

Estes C Class rocket engines are made with Potassium Nitrate, Charcoal, Sulfur & Dextrin (the binder)

Estes igniter pyrogen is made with Potassium Nitrate, Carbon, Corn Starch & Hide Glue. The reference for the igniter info can be found here
    http://www.drra.nl/documenten/estes/...%20Igniter.pdf

Both are of a black powder/gunpowder nature.

Now granted, not all pyrogens are created the same but Estes industries does use black powder/gunpowder. My recipe is a bit complicated as I melt ping pong balls in acetone for a polymer. Pyrodex gunpowder and aluminum powder are incorporated until I have the consistency of Elmer's glue. This particular recipe is designed for high power motors but could be used in smaller motors. Class Dismissed.

Why do you need to make your own? I only see making you own igniters if you make own engines.........
    I don't always fly rockets,... But when I do, I get them back. (The most interesting man in the world TV commercial voice)

Fleet...35
    Estes...6
    scratch-build...29
    Lost...2
    Crashed...5
    Splash-Downs...1
    Most prized...Saturn V
    Total-launched...125(+- 10 or so)
    -My-Rockets-Thread-

Quote Originally Posted by [POW]Eagle159 View Post
    Why do you need to make your own? I only see making you own igniters if you make own engines.........
    I would suppose Inerax might be on a quest for knowledge or just curious. The only reason I learned to make them was a friend who made his did it for a reason and showed me. Having witnessed so many commercial igniter failures for high powered motors at the big launches, he learned to make them with a higher % rate of working properly. They were the bridge wire type. People often relied on him at these launches to have some on hand and he sold them for 1 dollar apiece. I have a whole bag that he made and nary a one of them has failed so far. Apparently there are a lot of the commercial igniters that aren't very reliable. The only reason I wanted to learn was because I dabbled in sugar motors for a good while.

Quote Originally Posted by [POW]Eagle159 View Post
    Why do you need to make your own?
    Well I have a couple of old Econojets but no igniters, and our local club no longer has a vendor that comes to our launches to sell motors and igniters, so I would probably have to make my own igniters in order to use these motors.

Quote Originally Posted by bjphoenix View Post
    Well I have a couple of old Econojets but no igniters, and our local club no longer has a vendor that comes to our launches to sell motors and igniters, so I would probably have to make my own igniters in order to use these motors.
    You could check these out. The little 'uns will probably work for you:

http://www.wildmanrocketry.com/ShowP...ss=846&Sub=847

I used one of the little 'uns to light an F40 AT reload after the copperhead failed, worked like a charm.
    Last edited by gldknght; 18th December 2011 at 11:09 PM.
    Never fly a small rocket on a big motor from the wrong launch pad in high wind.

Patriotism belongs to the men and women who are the conscience of a nation.

Here is the price of freedom: Your Every drop of Courage, Every ounce of Pain, and Every pint of Blood, paid in Advance.

Jim Hendricksen
    L-3 Tripoli 9693
    ICBM, Orangeburg SC - QCRS ,Princeton ILL - MDRA , Price Maryland - Woosh, Bong Wisconsin- ROCC, Charlotte NC
    "Made" member of Chicago & Carolina Rocket Mafia
    Rocketry...........an exact science.......but not exactly !!!

Be careful...

Source: Link

NAR#: 92467
    TRA#: 13714

Another one

Here is what I do if I am not using a dip:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/20282932/I...How-to-Make-It
    -----------------------
    Chuck Haislip

Quote Originally Posted by gdjsky01 View Post
    I've tried and had limited success and failure with others, but I've always had good success, products, and service from Rocketfile
    Agreed, my first igniter kit came from Rocketflite... my 2nd came from PML.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster, and if you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

http://www.dragonworksrocketry.com/

NAR - 73740 L3
    TRA - 08705 L3
    HARA - NAR #403 / TRA #80
    PMW - NAR #682 / TRA #81

Don't Count me Out Just Yet... There is a Method to my Madness, And I'm Still Here!

Quote Originally Posted by decyple View Post
    Be careful...

Source: Link

This is WRONG! Electric matches are regulated. Also, your picture shows an estes igniter. I attached an electric match close up. Your other picture is an electric match as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Christopher Short
    TRA #10247 L3 TAP
    NAR #83000 L3CC
    Prefect #38
    www.csrocketry.com
    850-554-6531

Kit

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON64 View Post
    Agreed, my first igniter kit came from Rocketflite... my 2nd came from PML.

This is one I used to learn abotu dipping pyrogen.
    -----------------------
    Chuck Haislip

This is WRONG! Electric matches are regulated. Also, your picture shows an estes igniter. I attached an electric match close up. Your other picture is an electric match as well.
    Click the link he linked to. The link links to a post that shows that the source was an ATF agent. So in a way, your post sort of makes the point about what is and what isn't and how wonderful government agencies are.

N
    Last edited by Wingarcher; 19th December 2011 at 09:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingarcher View Post
    Click the link he linked to. The link links to a post that shows that the source was an ATF agent. So in a way, your post sort of makes the point about what is and what isn't and how wonderful government agencies are.

N
    Yeah, i saw that after I posted. Kind of dumb aren't they. My agent wasn't much smarter.
    Christopher Short
    TRA #10247 L3 TAP
    NAR #83000 L3CC
    Prefect #38
    www.csrocketry.com
    850-554-6531

hmm

Yeah, i saw that after I posted. Kind of dumb aren't they. My agent wasn't much smarter.
    Well, it is not the first time the ATF has been wrong!
    -----------------------
    Chuck Haislip