Scratch Build- Need some help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xenoneb

Reaction score
I've always found rockets and science fun, but I picked up Red October again after 3+ years from first reading it, and I found out that I could design and build my own! So I did some research, and decided on four or five things.
1. The size will be 2 1/2 by 12 inches.
2. The fuel (of at least one stage) will be a composite propellant, made of Magnesium, Perchloric acid and Ammonia.
3. It will be three stages, with a nose cone with extra space for various things.
4. It will be made complete of metal.
Any suggestions you have, and any help with producing the composite fuel would help.

12" and three stages? Completely made of metal? Think we'll be seeing him on the news?

I've always found rockets and science fun, but I picked up Red October again after 3+ years from first reading it, and I found out that I could design and build my own! So I did some research, and decided on four or five things.
1. The size will be 2 1/2 by 12 inches.
2. The fuel (of at least one stage) will be a composite propellant, made of Magnesium, Perchloric acid and Ammonia.
3. It will be three stages, with a nose cone with extra space for various things.
4. It will be made complete of metal.
Any suggestions you have, and any help with producing the composite fuel would help.

1. The size will be 2.6 by 42 inches.
2. The fuel (of at least ALL stages) will be a Black Power propellant, made FROM Estes
3. It will be three stages,D12-0 to a C6-0 to a B6-6 with a nose cone with extra space for various things.
4. It will be made completely of cardboard.
Any suggestions you have, and any help with my rocket would help.

Thats better.....Try again! :eyeroll: :horse:

[POW]Eagle159;271769 said:
I've always found rockets and science fun, but I picked up Red October again after 3+ years from first reading it...
Why would you read a book when there's a movie about it to desensitize yourself with?

Why would you read a book when there's a movie about it to desensitize yourself with?

I actually saw the movie in school! It was fun because there was NO work to go with it! OOoooo the joys of school!!!:D

And no I never read the book, just restating the trolls post.

Shouldn't that be "October Skies", not "Red October"? I mean, Red October did have missiles, but they never launched any.

"Mister Ryan. Certain things in here do not react well with bullets."

Shouldn't that be "October Skies", not "Red October"? I mean, Red October did have missiles, but they never launched any.

"Mister Ryan. Certain things in here do not react well with bullets."

AAAAAhhhhAHHhhh, I'm reading that book right now!!!!!

It's a very interesting book, with the Russian missile sub defecting to the Us!

I just named a rocket Red October that too!

[POW]Eagle159;271800 said:
I actually saw the movie in school! It was fun because there was NO work to go with it! OOoooo the joys of school!!!:D
Yeah. When our teacher would choose a day to continue watching "School Ties", she'd always forget where on the tape (if you're under 20 google "VHS") our class was, and people would tell her to keep rewinding with "we haven't seen that part yet" until she was getting close to the first scene we had seen the previous time. We spent a lot of time watching repeated scenes of the movie and very little time learning grammar.

Shouldn't that be "October Skies", not "Red October"?
Well, if you want to get specific, the movie is titled "October Sky" while the book it's based on is called "Rocket Boys". I'm showing the film to my rocketry class right now while hoping the donorschoose.org project gets funded by the new year, or I'll have 4 more weeks of class with no more rockets to build, and after showing Apollo XIII and October Sky, it's going to start digressing to "Space Camp" and "Spaceballs".

hoping the donorschoose.org project gets funded by the new year, or I'll have 4 more weeks of class with no more rockets to build, and after showing Apollo XIII and October Sky, it's going to start digressing to "Space Camp" and "Spaceballs".

What about "The Right Stuff", or even "The Astronaut Farmer"? At least you're not going to show them reruns of Salvage One.

(if you're under 20 google "VHS")

What is this VHS thing you speak of? When I was in school we somehow magically jumped from Film Strip + Records (beep), to Beta, and then to "Laser Disks" that may as well have been records. Somehow my educational experience completely missed VHS and DVDs.

For the OP, perhaps what he is really thinking of is Red Dawn and he is preparing a defense system.

What is this VHS thing you speak of? When I was in school we somehow magically jumped from Film Strip + Records (beep), to Beta, and then to "Laser Disks" that may as well have been records. Somehow my educational experience completely missed VHS and DVDs.

For the OP, perhaps what he is really thinking of is Red Dawn and he is preparing a defense system.

''When we were in school we listened to Morse code...'' :D

May this thread like on!!! ( just like our friend king's thread on liquid rocket engines)

What about mimeograph machines?

What about mimeograph machines?

We didn't have mimeograph machines, we had "Ditto" Machines. I think I was in 5th grade before I realized that "Ditto" wasn't just another name for worksheet as we would always be handed out our "Dittos" to be completed for homework. I fondly remember spending more than one recess being subjected to sitting in the classroom turning the handle on the ditto machine until my arm was about to fall off (I likely deserved it).

DG-'Dittos' rock! :cheers:+1! Only 'special' students got to do that! :rofl:
I'm starting to miss Xenoneb too.....but this is all good!!

Latest posts

Back