Which Altimeter?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davdue

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am trying to decide what altimeter to buy. I want to convert my L1 rocket to DD and also use the same electronics for a DD L2 rocket (Laser-X upscale). I was planning on using the PerfectFlite Stratologger. It seems to have the most bang for the buck and relatively cheap. But after doing more research I'm not sure. A little more background. I don't have any near term plans for L3, if ever, My main use will be for DD but I would like to have the ability to download data for flight characteristics. I want to fly KNSB sugar motors once I have my L2. So with all that said what does everyone suggest. I know that this could be like Ford and Chevy so please give me some reasons you like your particular choice.

Thanks,

Three brands come immediately to mind...

Featherweight Altimeters
Telemetrum
MARSA Systems

Why? Because all three companies are very active in supporting their products, and you'll get great support from all of them.

Which one is best depends on what works best for you, and what you forsee yourself flying in the near future.

-Kevin

ADEPT22, @ 39.00:eyepop:, No data downloads, But at that price?

info from his site:
-----------------------------------------------------
The ADEPT22 Altimeter with Dual Deployment™ is a maximum altitude altimeter that precisely measures, saves, and reports the maximum above-ground altitude value obtained during a rocket's flight. The ADEPT22 also has two altitude controlled deployment current switches that are used to fire deployment charges, based on altitude. The first charge fires when the rocket reaches its maximum altitude (apogee), and the second charge fires when the rocket descends to 1800, 1200, 900, 600, or 300 feet above ground, or six seconds after apogee, or at 150 feet below apogee (7 choices, user selectable).
-----------------------------------------------------
I now have 5 of these and Love them, accurate , small and Cheap! use for at least 20 launches with Great results.

if ya need to Log, then the Perfect Flight StratoLogger Altimeter @ 80.00, also one great price

Last edited:
Davdue-I would look into the Featherweight stuff. Why? Adrian's almost always available and posting here AND has new cool stuff coming out. The DD alts you're looking for seem pretty bullet-proof and I'm sure most others will back me up on that. You don't have to re-invent fire and the wheel as he also has sleds for same. Good guy, good stuff, good prices.
>the preceding message was brought to you by an unpaid actor<

dlb- +1 on the Adept 22!

(See Adrian? I like your stuff too! Just don't ever tell Tommy!)

Last edited:
I was planning on using the PerfectFlite Stratologger.

Although I don't own one, I have had other Perfectflite altimeters and know friends that have the new Stratalogger--they love it and Perfectflite puts out quality products. You have recording and accuracy up to 100K feet, I say its a good choice (especially for the money).

Although I don't own one, I have had other Perfectflite altimeters and know friends that have the new Stratalogger--they love it and Perfectflite puts out quality products. You have recording and accuracy up to 100K feet, I say its a good choice (especially for the money).

I'm probably going to order a pair of these today. And at $64 each, the capability seems great for the price.

My recommendation would be the following combo:

Adept Rocketry Adept 22 (https://www.adeptrocketry.com/ADEPT22go.htm)
Featherweight Raven 2 (https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/The_Raven.php)

At $39, the Adept 22 is so affordable you could permanently install one in each rocket you intend to use it in. That would simplify your prep immensely.

The Raven 2 has outstanding capabilities since it has four outputs and a USB hook up for data output and programming.

Come to think of it, there really isn't an altimeter that I would recommend you stay away from. I had a ton of trouble with an AltAcc back in the day, but they are no longer produced.

ADEPT22, @ 39.00:eyepop:, No data downloads, But at that price?

if ya need to Log, then the Perfect Flight StratoLogger Altimeter @ 80.00, also one great price

+2 on these recommendations--simple, relatively cheap, and reliable. I did my L2 with the Perfectflite Stratologger predecessor, the MAWD--still using that little gem. The Adept22 requires a bit more wiring finese, but works like a charm, and the price cannot be beat. Both are Mach immune, which is great peace of mind--one less thing to forget to set.

For a little more $$$, I think the FW Raven is awesome too, especially if used in conjunction with one of the FW 38/29/24mm av-bays. I've got two of them and only plan to add to that fleet.

Three brands come immediately to mind...

Featherweight Altimeters
Telemetrum
MARSA Systems

Why? Because all three companies are very active in supporting their products, and you'll get great support from all of them.

-Kevin

Davdue-I would look into the Featherweight stuff. Why? Adrian's almost always available and posting here AND has new cool stuff coming out. The DD alts you're looking for seem pretty bullet-proof and I'm sure most others will back me up on that. You don't have to re-invent fire and the wheel as he also has sleds for same. Good guy, good stuff, good prices.
>the preceding message was brought to you by an unpaid actor<

(See Adrian? I like your stuff too! Just don't ever tell Tommy!)

My recommendation would be the following combo:

Adept Rocketry Adept 22 (https://www.adeptrocketry.com/ADEPT22go.htm)
Featherweight Raven 2 (https://www.featherweightaltimeters.com/The_Raven.php)

The Raven 2 has outstanding capabilities since it has four outputs and a USB hook up for data output and programming.

For a little more $$$, I think the FW Raven is awesome too, especially if used in conjunction with one of the FW 38/29/24mm av-bays. I've got two of them and only plan to add to that fleet.

Thanks, guys. It's always nice to hear from happy customers. The sales price covers my time and costs for producing them, and feedback like this is what motivates me to design and improve new and better products.

BTW, I want to be fair... Although I commented positively on the Stratalogger and I feel it would be a good choice, I have:
  1. Two Raven2's
  2. Two RRC-mini's
  3. A G-Wiz HCX
  4. An ARTS2
In addition, within the past year or two I have sold a Parrot2, an ADEPT22, and a MAWD, a Transolve P6K (and maybe a couple others). I use / have used all of them and have had great success with them and superb support from each of the manufacturer's. In my mind, we're blessed as a small niche market to have such great vendors to work with.

Last edited:
How about the Entacore ?

Paul T

I like the AIM USB from Entacore. I noticed a rep from Entacore recently signed up here, an added bonus. Though it is a bit spendy, it's really cool. Just plug it in to your computer to set your flight settings, then plug it in after to download your flight data. Very user friendly, with lots of cool features. Apogee carries it here in the states, I don't know who else does. I bought mine direct right when it came out. Nice unit.

https://entacore.com/electronics/aimusb

https://www.apogeerockets.com/entacore_aim_usb.asp

A Raven would be my first choice if I were to go back and start over. I own a Marsa 54, LCX, Entacore AIM usb, Parrot, How High, a raven 70g and a raven 250g arriving today. Not that the other altimeters are bad but once I started using my raven, all of my new rockets have been designed around it because I like it so much especially it's small size and the FIP. Then when you throw in the av bays and the new perch that's coming out you really cant ask for more. I really don't have any bad things to say about the other altimeters that I've listed they are all cool in there own way like the Marsa's screen and joystick, or the simplicity of the LCX and AIM usb plug, fly, pop, pop, report. That's just my opinion.

How about the Entacore ?

Paul T

I have several flights on mine and it has worked perfectly every time.

I agree that there are a lot of good choices out there, I have a really old Transolve P2 that I sent back in to John recently to be checked out and it hadn't even drifted. Two P6K's, two Stratologgers, one Entacore, one R2CC mini and a TeleMetrum. I would not hesitate to use any of these in any rocket I own.

I presently have owned or am using the following:
1.G-Wiz HCX 56g-5 flights(lost on 6th flight)-great flight data, 4 outputs, uses SD card so massive storage, accel & baro sensors
2.Ozark Aerospace ARTS2-3 flights-great data, motor analysis, 2 outputs, user programable 2nd configuration selected by onboard switch, decent memory 2 banks, accel & baro sensors
3.Jolly Logic Altimeter One-4 flights(lost on 5th flight)-max altitude, easy to use, small size
4.Jolly Logic Altimeter One-2 flights
5.G-Wiz HCX 56g-2 flights
6.G-Wiz HCX 56g-1 flight
7.Entacore Electrionics AIM USB 2.0-2 flights good data, 2 outputs, easy to use, decent memory, baro only
8.Entacore Electrionics AIM USB 2.0- 0 flights
9.G-Wiz LCX-56G-3 flights good data, 3 outputs
10.Perfectflight Stratologger SL100-0 flights, 2 outputs, good memory, baro only
11.Perfectflight Stratologger SL100-0 flights
12.Adept Rocketry Adept 22-0 flights, 2 outputs, no memory, baro only
All I have used worked well. My choice for data analysis is the ARTS2 just wish the storage was a little larger. There are other altimeters which I have not had the pleasure of using yet, and I am sure have their + & -. My next purchase will be a Raven 2 due to the fuctionabilty and size.
[Edit]Of course as with any product the buyer should do as much research as possible to make sure it will be the best selection for their needs.

Last edited:
Without reading any of the other replies, my opinion is 'whatever your budget will allow'..Now, if you want down loadable data the Stratologger by PerfectFlite is the cheapest, or you could get the Raven by Featherweight..I also overheard a conversation that Tommy from Adept(the originator of Dual Deploy;)) is thinking of bringing out an altimeter early next year with data logging that you can then download..

I am trying to decide what altimeter to buy. I want to convert my L1 rocket to DD and also use the same electronics for a DD L2 rocket (Laser-X upscale). I was planning on using the PerfectFlite Stratologger. It seems to have the most bang for the buck and relatively cheap. But after doing more research I'm not sure. A little more background. I don't have any near term plans for L3, if ever, My main use will be for DD but I would like to have the ability to download data for flight characteristics. I want to fly KNSB sugar motors once I have my L2. So with all that said what does everyone suggest. I know that this could be like Ford and Chevy so please give me some reasons you like your particular choice.

Thanks,

Also:

The new Adept,little brother of the Adept 22 will only be 29.00
Does DD but no beep out for altitude. Designed to be the back up unit for the 22.

2 units doing dual de-ploy in one rocket for a total of 68.00, with one reading the altitude.

The one Jon spoke of will be around 60-80 & will be completely contained with battery box on unit. Will do a complete history of flights, with numerous graphs, down loadable to your computer or laptop. powered by a small 12v battery.

There are also a couple of new units coming out after the new year from other well known companies that will astound folks with their data capabilities & the low price points. [under 100 bucks] all downloadable & able to piggyback numerous other electronics to them such as GPS, tracking,live telemetry. In beta testing now.
Sorry I cannot reveal what they are, gonna be a great year for altimeters!

Just got my Raven 2 - pure heroin! Had to go out and get some LED's to run it through the test, fun stuff... and so small...

Just got my Raven 2 - pure heroin! Had to go out and get some LED's to run it through the test, fun stuff... and so small...

Thanks, Jcowles3, ...I think...:confused2::rolleyes:

Old Christmas tree lightbulbs work great for test loads, too. I stopped bothering to pull out the bulbs, and now I just cut up the string of lights and strip the ends.

Old Christmas tree lightbulbs work great for test loads, too. I stopped bothering to pull out the bulbs, and now I just cut up the string of lights and strip the ends.

I do the same -- I have a sacrificial string that's used just for that purpose.

-Kevin

I can't say much about the other brands, I haven't used them. I do have a Stratologger and I think it's great.

The cons: You have to buy the DT3U USB data transfer kit, $25.46 form the Perfecflite website, to download the data. This does work for all of their altimeters and I have an older DT2U that also works for the Stratologger.

The pros: It has some cool features besides the price is very good for a recording dd altimeter.
  • It beeps out the altitude and max speed as part of post flight.
  • There is a serial output that can be used to send the data to a transmitter for real time data collection.
  • There is a warble sound as part of the post flight output and that audio can be output to an external speaker to make finding the rocket easier.

Shopping Altimeters now and have a quick question concerning min diameter av bay.

Does anyone know what size threaded rods and nuts are with the 38mm , 29mm and 24 mm Featherweight Av-Bays - mocking up and want to be accurate with the sizes /weights .

Kenny

Shopping Altimeters now and have a quick question concerning min diameter av bay.

Does anyone know what size threaded rods and nuts are with the 38mm , 29mm and 24 mm Featherweight Av-Bays - mocking up and want to be accurate with the sizes /weights .

Kenny

The 24mm have 3 2-56 steel rods, 3" long. The 29mm and 38mm rods are 4-40 aluminum, three for the 29mm and 4 for the 38mm. Altogether with battery and altimeter I think I remember the mass total is about 26 grams.

I'm going to recommend the Entacore Aim USB. Or perhaps their new GPS, if you've got a flexible budget. For me, its everything I needed to successfully perform dual deployments, even under some crazy situations:

https://rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=34230

I use them exclusively in all of my projects now, with complete confidence.

Best of luck with your choice!

Patrick

The 24mm have 3 2-56 steel rods, 3" long. The 29mm and 38mm rods are 4-40 aluminum, three for the 29mm and 4 for the 38mm. Altogether with battery and altimeter I think I remember the mass total is about 26 grams.

Thanks !

Any R3 news ?

Thanks !

Any R3 news ?

I have sold out of the 70G/35G Raven2s, but my dealers should still have some stock. Some 250G Raven2s are still available, but I'm considering postponing further sales until the Raven3s are available, so that there will be some left for people who need the extra accelerometer range. I don't currently have any more 250G altimeters in the production pipeline, but I'll include more in the next run.

The Raven3 is an incremental update to the design, and a production run is currently at a surface mount assembly house getting parts soldered on. I'll have more details later in a separate thread.

Adrian A said:
I have sold out of the 70G/35G Raven2s, but my dealers should still have some stock. Some 250G Raven2s are still available, but I'm considering postponing further sales until the Raven3s are available, so that there will be some left for people who need the extra accelerometer range. I don't currently have any more 250G altimeters in the production pipeline, but I'll include more in the next run.

The Raven3 is an incremental update to the design, and a production run is currently at a surface mount assembly house getting parts soldered on. I'll have more details later in a separate thread.

Well crap. Just when I thought I was past all rocketry purchases...

I recently picked up a PerfectFlite Stratologger - will be assembling the AVbay for my first DD rocket soon.

I was won over by the features for the price, and I also liked the option to connect it to the computer for downloading all the data. The DT3U is required for this.

I connected it to the computer for the first time a few nights ago to check it out. Really easy, someone could fly it right out of the box with the mains set at 700ft. I will leave it at this setting.

The Raven2 was a close contender as far as choices go, I really like the accelerometer. If I build a minimum diameter DD kit with Mach+ potential, I'll definitely give this one a try.

This was certainly an informative thread, everybody has some great points regarding the various models out there. I'm certainly eager to get mine up in the air......

Back