Fly Me!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, I have owned two. Your head has to move real fast just to keep up when using an A10. I still have the 90's livery Sparrow, but I think it's buried in my repair box. IIRC, I don't believe there was any flight damage. A cat had mistaken the NC for dinner. When ever I get around to fixing it, I'm likely going to replace the die-cut fiber fins with balsa ones. I'm at the point now where I really hate those fiber fins because they de-laminate over time.

As far as how long it was produced, it first appeared in Estes catalogs in 1986. I bought my first Sparrow in '88, the second rocket kit I had ever bought. The last catalog I can find it in is 1996. However, I did buy my second Sparrow in 2001 as a discontinued item.

Yup, I have owned two. Your head has to move real fast just to keep up when using an A10. I still have the 90's livery Sparrow, but I think it's buried in my repair box. IIRC, I don't believe there was any flight damage. A cat had mistaken the NC for dinner. When ever I get around to fixing it, I'm likely going to replace the die-cut fiber fins with balsa ones. I'm at the point now where I really hate those fiber fins because they de-laminate over time.

As far as how long it was produced, it first appeared in Estes catalogs in 1986. I bought my first Sparrow in '88, the second rocket kit I had ever bought. The last catalog I can find it in is 1996. However, I did buy my second Sparrow in 2001 as a discontinued item.

The picture below is from the 1986 Estes catalog, found at www.ninfinger.org/rockets/rockets.html scroll down the page a bit to find the '86 catalog.

The Sparrow cost $2.49 1n 1986.

86est14.jpg

Expand picture to see the shrooming.

To expand the picture without loseing the detail, place the cursor on the picture and L/H click on it. This can be done several times until picture fills the screen, WITHOUT lose of detail.

Last edited:
What 'cha planning on? Re-build, re-make or upscale? Something else?

The fins have been busted off a few times.

Over all, my Sparrow is just plain old & tired looking.

It may not look like much at first, but after eighteen years of looking at it I think it's a cool design, like the Screamer.

Sparrow 110.jpg

est0872@.gif

Last edited:
Last edited:
A Sparrow was my very first attempt at Night flying using Glow-in-the-Dark paints and reflective vinyls. Not very successful after burn out but alway got it back on A3-4T's and A10-3Ts. A fine little cardboard & cardstock model.

24 mm BP AP motors will do the trick for this one.

Last edited:
You'd think there would be at least one build thread on this rocket, but noooo..... I can't find one.

Guess it's up to me. :cool:

Plan A:

May as well start with the nose cone. If you don't feel like making your own upscaled nose cone, you need to find one. If you won't make the nose and can't find one, why continue with the project?

It's good to know what you need before you go looking for it. Not absolutly nessesery, but still... a good thing. One less thing to worry about.

Need to find the nose cone shown on page 2 of of the Sparrows plan, Estes kit #0872. Go to www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/est0872.htm

Yep, not a lot to see, read or work with there.

est0872b.gif

Last edited:
Plan B needs to be reviewed, then put into place.

Plan B:

Go to www.rocketshoppe.com

Click on 'Building Tips', it's in the colum on the left hand side of the page.

Scroll down new page and select 'Estes Nose Cone Reference List v10.1 (Original Full-size)'. Remember to thank John R. Brohm for this.

It's already known that the BT size of the Sparrow is BT-5. Scroll thru the list of BT-5 based rockets. Keep your eye peeled for kit #0872.

On page 4 you'll find the Sparrow listed under PNC-5A

Last edited:
My go to place for nose cones is www.semroc.com

On Semrocs home page, in the right hand colum you will find the "Master Cross Reference", select it.

At the top of the page a blue tab labled 'Classics' is for Estes cones, select it.

Scroll down the page to the title 'Plastic Nose Cones' and find PNC-5A. Next to the PNC-5A you'll find Semrocs part #, BNC-5A and a 'LOOK' button. When the 'LOOK' button is selected a list comes up that shows the kits Semroc has available with that nose cone.

The Sparrow isn't on that list. :cool:

Last edited:
Now I need a Plan C:

Time to pull out a ruler.

The picture below was printed out and measured. The body tube is 14 mm wide and the Ogive nose cone is 54 mm long.

54 divided by 14 = 3.857

A 3.857:1 ratio for the Ogive nose cone, also the PNC-5A has a slightly blunted tip.

If the tip of the nose cone was pointed, it could easily be a 4:1 ratio or slightly more.

Attachments

Last edited:
The Sparrow is going to be upscaled to BT-60.

A BT-60 has an O.D. of 1.637"

1.637" times 4 = 6.548"

A 4:1 ratio

Last edited:
Went to Semrocs BNC-60 Nose Cone page looking for a 6.548" Ogive cone.

Found the BNC-60G4.

A 6.6" Ogive cone.

Gotta love it when a plan comes together!

bnc-60g4.jpg

sh051.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:
Back