Fly Me!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, enough of this.

Brady, you are an excellent craftsman. And this is not the first time I have said this.

The *ONLY* criticism I have ever made was that the build thread was going on too long. If you go back and look, you can find many other examples of people saying the same thing. Yet, you seem to have focused on me, and villified me for doing what others have also done. Most recently, Sodmeister made a comment about how long the build thread took. Inexplicably, you made no response to that, but instead turned it into a comparison between our two radically different build threads.

How could you not figure out Sodmeister was lighty mocking your much courser approach.

I said to GuitarRockets "never try to teach a pig to sing" -- It is a common metaphor for saying "It is a waste of time to try to talk to somebody who is not listening." I never called you a pig.

The saying is "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It's a waste of your time and only piss's the pig off".
Seems you have alot of time to waste and enjoy piss'n off the pig.

I challenge you to go back and really read the comments I made earlier in this thread. You will see that *NONE* of my comments attacked your character, nor the model you were building.

Why would I want to get upset again? While my character and model are intact, you did go on the attack. Had your buddies join in to.

The beauty of this forum is the diversity of people and projects. I have learned new techniques from so many people (including you) and some of the projects themselves were initially of no interest to me. One does not have to like the project to gain something from it. Who knows? If you can put rancor aside, some day you might possibly learn something from one of my projects!

Don't fool yourself into thinking I am not aware of who the individuals responsable for trashing the threads rating are.

I think it is time for us to both move on and try to build some mutual respect.

I am willing to draw a line in the sand, walk away from it and work on tolorence. Mutual repect will be off the table for a long time.

I know this is a little off-topic, but as someone who struggles with photography, I just have to ask... Any tips on the photos you post? Always well-lit, with perfect focus and great depth of field, even in extreme close-ups. I never seem to get all three of those to line up. Just wondering what combination of lens / camera / f-stop / shutter speed you shoot, and if you use any macro attachments. Thanks.

attached are representative samples of your photos (first) and mine (second).

one of mine.jpeg

Last edited:
Read up on MACRO mode.
Light the area instead of a flash. Most flashes on small cameras will be off center for close in topics.
If you have a manual focus mode use it.
If you can use aperture priority (Av mode), see if you can, then set the f/ number higher (more depth of field)
Get further away and use the zoom to get closer.
Don't wait for the time you need to take a picture. Go experiment. It's free. :) Well except for the electrons. Practice.

Thanks, Jeff. Depth of field is really the issue I have. When I use the flash in "Program" mode, my camera (Canon digital SLR) automatically sets an arbitrary shutter speed, which in turn determines the aperture. The end result is a very limited depth of field. Lighting up the area artificially would be the obvious solution, but if you notice in the picture I attached above (up the inside of a fincan), I'm basically looking up a tunnel, and the lens blocks the only area the lighting would fit in to light all the way up to the forward end. Any offset between a light source and the lens introduces shadow problems. Hauling it outside (natural lighting) would help, but not always an easy option with bigger projects. I will try using the Av mode with the aperture closed down, good suggestion there. A longer exposures (tripod mount) is also a possibility.

My post here is just fishing for tips from someone who obviously has it down to a science. Notice there is almost NO flash reflection in either the gloss white paint or the decal. But you can tell where the flash IS, close and almost centered on the image. That photo took some setup and skill to shoot.

Last edited:
If you have the dSLR go to Tv mode. If need be bump up the ISO to get a shutter speed high enough to eliminate shakes. Rex is right. A tripod helps a lot cause then you can set the f stop to what you need, use the 2 or 3 second delay timer, and not shake anything.

Read up on MACRO mode.
Light the area instead of a flash. Most flashes on small cameras will be off center for close in topics.
If you have a manual focus mode use it.
If you can use aperture priority (Av mode), see if you can, then set the f/ number higher (more depth of field)
Get further away and use the zoom to get closer.
Don't wait for the time you need to take a picture. Go experiment. It's free. :) Well except for the electrons. Practice.

I really appreciate your taking the time to answer that question. :tongue:

Last edited:
Quickly, you are aware that you just bumped a thread that was over 15 months old?

:)

Back