Places to launch in Southeast PA

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jam378

Reaction score
Anyone know of a good place to launch low powered model rockets in the Southeast Pennsylvania area? I am in Yardley, PA 19067 and have tried Macclesfield Park along the river and was looking for a larger open area.

Thanks!

I could give you a great site if you were closer to the Susquehanna. We have a nice public field (old landfill) that we use in southern York County. As a quick note though, if you want to do some club flying and/or check out some HPR stuff, consider attending a Maryland/Delaware launch https://www.mdrocketry.org. They launch about 2 hours south of you.

Thanks, I'll check that site out. I am in the Maryland area every once and a while. I also found this site https://www.para520.org (Philadelphia Area Rocketry Association). I am hoping someone on this forum might be familiar? It is about 30 minutes from where I am.

Thanks again. Much appreciated.

Thanks, I'll check that site out. I am in the Maryland area every once and a while. I also found this site https://www.para520.org (Philadelphia Area Rocketry Association). I am hoping someone on this forum might be familiar? It is about 30 minutes from where I am.

It's worth checking out PARA.

MDRA is worth a drive, it's a huge field.

Para is a great bunch of people and probably the closest to you. About 2 hours to the west is my club - Southern Pennsylvania Area Association of Rocketry www.spaar.org ( our site seems to be down right now we will work on that tomorrow) Based in Lancaster we have 3 sites, Manor Middle School which is model rockets only, Ft Halifax and Ft Indiantown Gap which allow HPR.

I could give you a great site if you were closer to the Susquehanna. We have a nice public field (old landfill) that we use in southern York County. As a quick note though, if you want to do some club flying and/or check out some HPR stuff, consider attending a Maryland/Delaware launch https://www.mdrocketry.org. They launch about 2 hours south of you.

Something in York County?

Hrrm... details, please...

Later!

--Coop

Anyone know of a good place to launch low powered model rockets in the Southeast Pennsylvania area? I am in Yardley, PA 19067 and have tried Macclesfield Park along the river and was looking for a larger open area.

Thanks!

I live in Bensalem, PA (19020), and am about to buy my kids some model rockets and a launch pad for Chrisitmas. If you find a good place to fly in Bucks County that is not too far away from where we live, let me know.

If you don't mind traveling to south NJ, you might like to check out SoJARS, NAR section 593. We're easily accessible off the Altantic City Parkway/Route 55 in Glassboro. Our next launch is Jan 1st. Please see my sig for the link to our web site.

If you don't mind traveling to south NJ, you might like to check out SoJARS, NAR section 593. We're easily accessible off the Altantic City Parkway/Route 55 in Glassboro. Our next launch is Jan 1st. Please see my sig for the link to our web site.

My wife's family all lives in the Gloucester City and Deptford areas. Checking a SoJARS launch would be very cool!

I'm taking my Cub Scout pack over to PARA for a launch after I work out all the details. Perhaps after that, it'll be time for a field trip to SoJARS.

My wife's family all lives in the Gloucester City and Deptford areas. Checking a SoJARS launch would be very cool!

I'm taking my Cub Scout pack over to PARA for a launch after I work out all the details. Perhaps after that, it'll be time for a field trip to SoJARS.

Next SoJARS launch is 4/21 and 22. In addition to sport flying, we'll be hosting a number of contest events. More information at:

https://www.sojars.org/

Yeah flying fields are hard to find here, I know of some decent but small ones in the Riddley Park area (95 and 476). And I've been to SoJars a few times. Gotta get back out there at some point.

Your 90 minutes (via 76) from where SPAAR flies. www.spaar.org. Only problem for me is their launches are always on Sunday and for 4 hours. Might be something worth looking into for you.

Last edited:
I'm in Delaware County, very interested in any fields good for low power launches.. wide open, minimal trees, minimal interest from the neighbors..
Doesn't have to be in Delco.. as long as its within an hour's drive..

METRA. We fly out of pine island, ny
Every launch is a tripoli ex and we support LPR/MPR

Hi.. thanks to those that replied. What I'm really looking for is a (somewhat) nearby open field which we can causally use whenever
we get that itch to fly. I'm not really looking for organized club events, just want a place to fly where the local authorities don't seem bothered by it.

I am just getting back into this hobby.. I made dozens of Estes models as a kid in the 70's, we had a playground across the street from the house.
Whenever we felt like a launch, we'd just go across the street! If it wasn't occupied, we'd just fire away! Surely there must be places like this still around??

I have all my surviving rockets in a recently opened box and I am rehabbing them as well as starting a few new ones. I'm also planning to finish the Estes Saturn-V I started 40 years ago! It'd be nice to fly these babies again!!

Hi.. thanks to those that replied. What I'm really looking for is a (somewhat) nearby open field which we can causally use whenever
we get that itch to fly. I'm not really looking for organized club events, just want a place to fly where the local authorities don't seem bothered by it.

I am just getting back into this hobby.. I made dozens of Estes models as a kid in the 70's, we had a playground across the street from the house.
Whenever we felt like a launch, we'd just go across the street! If it wasn't occupied, we'd just fire away! Surely there must be places like this still around??

I have all my surviving rockets in a recently opened box and I am rehabbing them as well as starting a few new ones. I'm also planning to finish the Estes Saturn-V I started 40 years ago! It'd be nice to fly these babies again!!

Ha Ha it's not the 70's any more! just about any where you go someone will be upset. There's no such thing as causally playing now a days, try pointing a finger gun at someone.
I think that's why there is an up-tick in organized clubs lately. My daughter and I tried to launch at a local county park early on Saturday mornings, before any ball games started and were told we need to get a permit to use the field. when we tried to get a "permit" they said that at that time of the day the fields are open to the public no "permit needed" but we can't use it for rockets!??
Even after we showed them our NAR insurance. We went to commissioner and she said if we organized a club she would "consider" it.
What we ended up doing is we joined a few clubs and now just about every weekend we can go to a launch some where. Its a PITA having to drive a long way sometimes, but having a bunch of other people to fly with it makes up for it.
Rocket people ARE the BEST!!
I've seen four guys at a launch come together and help a kid "spectator" (first launch ever) gather up enough stuff for this kid to fly a rocket right there on the spot. All these guys needed was to hear the kid say to his mom "can I try". I might add that kid went home with his OWN rocket that day.
Joining a few clubs is well worth the money.

I'm in Delaware County, very interested in any fields good for low power launches.. wide open, minimal trees, minimal interest from the neighbors..
Doesn't have to be in Delco.. as long as its within an hour's drive..

If you find such a field in eastern or central PA let us know! But you are welcome to visit us a SPAAR - we fly in Lancaster, Halifax and Grantville
www.spaar.org

If you are doing LPR I go to Washington crossing park off of Trenton harborton road in the soccer fields just have to see if there are games going on check the web site

IJEEPIN
Paul Sandyck
Membership Officer
/|_|,[______],
I--I--L--OIIIIIIIO-
( )_) ( )_)--o--)_)

Bazooka: so SPAAR does HPR only a couple times a year, is that correct?

(I happened across one of the Halifax launches one day, I seem to remember it being all LPR)..

Later!

--Coop

SPAAR has 3 waivered launches a year all at Fort Indiantown Gap - the Lancaster and Halifax sites are too small for HPR.
This Saturday May 2nd we are flying model rockets Halifax in conjunction with the annual Fort Halifax fair. There will be plenty of attractions and food - the fair is 10am-6 pm and we will be flying from about 10 - 4.

We will have our first HPR launch at Indiantown Gap Saturday May 23 - 6,000 ft waiver but it is a small field so dual recovery is recommended

Dale Greene
SPAAR
Lame Duck President

Unfortunately, I'm working this weekend, but perhaps the 23rd... will check with the boss when she gets home...

Later!

--Coop

Does anyone have any experience/information about launching rockets (mostly low, but some low-mid power) at PPL Soccer Complex (Conewago Creek Recreation Area) in York/Mount Wolf, PA? My daughter had a soccer tourney there this weekend and it is a vast area that looks ideal for rocket launching.

Most soccer complexes prohibit non-soccer activities. It's a waste of grass if you ask me...

In fact the one near me (where both of my boys play soccer) has a big sign specifically forbidding any non-related activities. And guys in golf carts drive around and harass you if you so much as walk on the fields except during sanctioned play. Even PRACTICE by members of the club is forbidden on those fields... they have to go use the public parks and schoolgrounds for practice.

Marc

I have never been there but a friend of mine says he has flown with his nephews there and it is OK for smaller rockets. As Marc says do not run afoul of soccer people - they can be vicious.

Next Saturday May 23 SPAAR is flying at Fort Indiantown Gap about 40 miles from Mt Wolf - bit of a hike but drop in on us if you can https://spaar.org/includes/Launches.html

Does anyone have any experience/information about launching rockets (mostly low, but some low-mid power) at PPL Soccer Complex (Conewago Creek Recreation Area) in York/Mount Wolf, PA? My daughter had a soccer tourney there this weekend and it is a vast area that looks ideal for rocket launching.

Most soccer complexes prohibit non-soccer activities. It's a waste of grass if you ask me...

In fact the one near me (where both of my boys play soccer) has a big sign specifically forbidding any non-related activities. And guys in golf carts drive around and harass you if you so much as walk on the fields except during sanctioned play. Even PRACTICE by members of the club is forbidden on those fields... they have to go use the public parks and schoolgrounds for practice.

Marc

Bazookadale - been investigating/watching SPAAR and NARHAMS, but haven't gone to any of the launches (other than a launch at Goddard). I'll keep watching and may join/go to one of the launches this summer.

A while back I shot off some LPRs at STUMP Park in York, PA (which are soccer/lacrosse fields). During non game/practice times it is pretty much, if not completely, empty. I'm thinking about going back there, but they due have a park rules sign that says "Use of explosives, fireworks, guns, rifles, airguns, bows, singleshots or similar items is prohibited". Wondering if "similar items" includes model rockets :(

PA is a NFPA state, right? If so, I believe that unless specifically called out, model rockets (non-HPR) are legally distinct from explosives, fireworks, and so forth, and are not really any more regulated than flying a kite. They certainly could add model rockets to the list of prohibited items, but unless they do, they are legal, to the best of my non-lawyer understanding.

Hello. Im also from the Yardley area and have used Pennwood Middle School field for small rockets and Pennsbury High School for larger ones.

Back