Raven Power Perch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adrian A

TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is tentatively called the Raven Extender, but I'm open to other suggestions: (Update: I'm going with the Power Perch, unless someone can change my mind tomorrow morning)
IMG_3154.jpg

Everything you need on your av-bay sled is sitting next to the quarter. No more av-bay wiring; just mount on a sled and fly it! There's a battery and magnetic switch built-in, so when your rocket is on the pad, just wave the included magnet next to the av-bay, and the Raven will power up with its normal beeps. Each of the 4 Raven outputs has its own pair of wire terminals to make it easy to wire an ematch straight to the extender without terminal blocks.

The two mounting holes accept 4-40 screws, and they even double as another pair of terminals you can use to provide switched power to another low-powered, single-lipo device like a Beeline tracker or Telemini, via the same arm switch.

The parts that will be included that aren't shown are the mounting screws, the activation magnet, and a battery restraint that will probably be a laser-cut, L-shaped piece of lite-ply to go around the sides of the battery.

I'll need to get quotes on the boards and assembly before I can accurately predict the price, but an early guess is $39. I'm hoping to be able to sell it for somewhat less than that.

Last edited:
When you decide on price and get them in stock, I'll be ordering a Raven and two Raven Extenders! Just starting my first DD rocket.

Thanks!

Raven Docking Station?

Looks great! This will make wiring the Raven much easier.
smile.gif

Thanks, guys. I'll see if I can place an order for the PCBs of the first production run tonight. It will probably be about 3 weeks before they're shipping.

-Adrian

The "Raven Maven"

Maven:
those who are intense gatherers of information , and so are often the first to pick up on new or nascent trends.

also suggests that mavens may act most effectively when in collaboration with connectors

............... BINGO! seems to hit the nail on the head & it even rhymes!

The "Raven Maven"

Maven:
those who are intense gatherers of information , and so are often the first to pick up on new or nascent trends.

also suggests that mavens may act most effectively when in collaboration with connectors

............... BINGO! seems to hit the nail on the head & it even rhymes!

Power Perch Sounds Fishy!
I still want one though!
You could call it an electron flow transference device and I still want one!

Eric

This is a great product, and one that I will have to get once rocketry funds become available again.

I was just saying to another rocketeer the other day that I couldn't envision using the Raven outside of the 38mm av-bay due to the small terminals, and that I would have to find a way to work the av-bay into my existing rockets. This will allow me to utilize the av-bay on smaller rockets, and hook it up to this for larger rockets to help with wiring.

Very cool!!!

Just to continue on my thought process, this is going to be a great addition for rocketeers that purchase the Raven new along with this peripheral. Essentially, all they need to do is create a G10 sled with the same footprint and mounting hole pattern as their current altimeter. This would be a direct sub in for any other unit.

For example, I just sold my MAWD. I could mount this set up on a MAWD sized board and wouldn't even have to drill new holes on my existing altimeter bay sleds.

Have you considered having CNC machined G10 boards made so that this unit could be instantly adapted?

Just to continue on my thought process, this is going to be a great addition for rocketeers that purchase the Raven new along with this peripheral. Essentially, all they need to do is create a G10 sled with the same footprint and mounting hole pattern as their current altimeter. This would be a direct sub in for any other unit.

What!? There are other altimeters?

For example, I just sold my MAWD.
Now you're talking! ;)
Have you considered having CNC machined G10 boards made so that this unit could be instantly adapted?
I hadn't. Interesting thought, though. I know there have been people intersted in a replacement for the AltAcc among others.
Dammit Adrian- now I gotta sell one of the kids...sheesh!

Thanks, guys.

In order to keep the cost down, I'm stretching out the surface mount assembly delivery a bit, so now it looks like they'll be shipping mid January. The price will be $35.

I hadn't. Interesting thought, though. I know there have been people intersted in a replacement for the AltAcc among others.

That would be really easy. The AltAcc mounts to the side of a tube via two screws, positioning it very close to the outside tube. This would allow the magnet switch to be effective.

Looks good.
PLEASE make them available without the terminal blocks.
These should be cheap enough to solder into the wiring harness of the rocket.
No need to terminal blocks connecting to terminal blocks.
Hardwired is my preference.
I've even taken the terminal blocks off of one of my Ravens to hardwire it.
Please make this optional.
FredA

Looks good.
PLEASE make them available without the terminal blocks.
These should be cheap enough to solder into the wiring harness of the rocket.
No need to terminal blocks connecting to terminal blocks.
Hardwired is my preference.
I've even taken the terminal blocks off of one of my Ravens to hardwire it.
Please make this optional.
FredA

Good idea; they are difficult to remove if you don't want them. One of the best ways for me to leave some of them un-populated is just to leave the assembly company short some parts. Ironically, Digikey was short 22 of those parts, so I had to make another order from Mouser to cover it. But all the parts are now on their way, so I'll ask if they mind leaving the terminal block off on some of them.

The next question is how many. Anyone else out there who would prefer to just have solder pads rather than a terminal block?

I'd rather have terminal blocks.

That said, I'm seriously considering just permanently putting a Perch on sleds of various sizes, and leaving them there. The Raven can then be easily moved between the sleds and I don't have to worry about remembering what wire goes where. :)

-Kevin

I'd rather have terminal blocks.

That said, I'm seriously considering just permanently putting a Perch on sleds of various sizes, and leaving them there. The Raven can then be easily moved between the sleds and I don't have to worry about remembering what wire goes where. :)

-Kevin

Kevin,

That sounds like a great idea.

I'm with the 'plug and play ' group. The least amount of time I have to screw around setting up the bird to fly leaves me more time to fly higher and thus walk longer for recovery. Look at it like an execise video. Buy this and lose wieght!

I am definitely in for one when they become available. My 54mm rocket has a "dense" altimeter bay that will be simplified considerably by this.

Adrian - Do you have a source for a female connector with leads to the li-po batteries you use so I could utilize the same batteries in other altimeters? Huge weight saver, and rechargeable to boot.

Adrian - Do you have a source for a female connector with leads to the li-po batteries you use so I could utilize the same batteries in other altimeters? Huge weight saver, and rechargeable to boot.

Dan, I picked up 8 or 10 of these male connectors with pigtails at a local computer surplus store. They were fairly cheap and readily available.

Power Perch sounds a bit odd, until you start to think about it...

Perch your Raven in your rocket

Give your Raven a new Perch and simplify connections

Considering the naming is birds, Perch or Power Perch fits.

-Kevin

Back