Adding copious amouts of weight to move CG forward?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I don't believe what people say, but honestly, "MARKEDLY" I thought was going to be a bit of a stretch on this rocket. The simulation of the "effective forward fin area" when on a pivot was "MARKED." It's definitely going into the design.

To clarify graphically, although I do understand the written, here's a simple picture I drew up. I made a "second" rocket with the "effective forward fin" when on a pivot, last night. Now the model will have more realistic (movable) forward guidance fins.

Good tip. Not sure if the nosecone is going to be poly, balsa or heavy paper mache glassed.

Thanks guys

Yes, exactly right (your diagram). Good luck!

OL JR :)

PS. "markedly" is a word... LOL:)

If you don't want to go with lead, you can go cheap. Most car repair shops that do brake repair work have a brake lathe. They are usually willing to give away the turnings from the lathe; cast iron powder. Mix w/epoxy or polyurathane glue and put in nose.

For every inch you extend the overall rocket length, the less weight you need. If at all possible, make the body or cone longer.

BTW, where the heck is the CP on this thing???? That's gonna present a challenge when determning how much weigh you need. Best of luck!

In any case, why not just fill a baggie with some sand and wrap it in duct tape??? Or fill your nose cone with dry cement, then add some water to harden it? Cheap easy fixes

In any case, why not just fill a baggie with some sand and wrap it in duct tape??? Or fill your nose cone with dry cement, then add some water to harden it? Cheap easy fixes

Don`t think the dried cement would stick to a plastic nosecone, if he indeed is using one.

The sand idea would work, just add a good amout of Gorilla Glue to the damp sand and you just might have something there.

Paul T

Don`t think the dried cement would stick to a plastic nosecone, if he indeed is using one.

The sand idea would work, just add a good amout of Gorilla Glue to the damp sand and you just might have something there.

Paul T

I was thinking of filling the remaining empty space with cotton:

Reminds me of the video of the N10000 that cato'ed that had loose shot added for weight, everyone looking up while lead pellets rained down on them.

Tom

Reminds me of the video of the N10000 that cato'ed that had loose shot added for weight, everyone looking up while lead pellets rained down on them.

Tom

That's why I'm not a fan of massive amounts of noseweight... though sometimes it is necessary on certain projects...

There was a big discussion on that incident as I recall... either here or on other fora...

Later! OL JR :)

There was a rocket flown at Rt that had a 300, yes three hundred pound nose weight in it.

Tom

One more way to move weight forward is adding a light weight spacer to push your recovery gear as far forward as it will go and keep it there. I did this on my L3 rocket and ended up not needing any extra weight.

One more way to move weight forward is adding a light weight spacer to push your recovery gear as far forward as it will go and keep it there. I did this on my L3 rocket and ended up not needing any extra weight.

Actually a great and simple idea--push the needed payload as far forward as possible--deminish the dead weight as much as possible-weight=altitude= acceleration. That whole kiss rule makes sense

Back