Actual MicroMaxx launch picture!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hcmbanjo

Reaction score
Roger Smith (www.rocketreviews.com and www.jonrocket.com) caught my MicroMaxx Zoom Broom today at today's Orlando R.O.C.K. launch.
This is the Greg Poehlein carded downscale.

Roger is the best at getting these little rockets right after ignition and before they reach the top of the launch rod.

Just wanted to share a rare picture and send a tip of the hat to Roger!

Launch 12.2.11 F_WEB.jpg

Last edited:
Neat! It is the rarest of all lift-off shots, because the subject is so small, and all MicroMaxx rockets teleport off the pad. The ability to get one of these shots is the mark of a true pro. The draggy profile of the Zoom Broom probably helped by slowing the lift-off down by a couple of Warp Factors.

Nice downscale, by the way.

Last edited:
Wow! Great shot, a lot better than I could ever do.

Really good shot Chris! kudo's to Roger. Any Idea what f stop and ISP he's using? Might help the rest of us in our attempts to catch these little critters on film.
Most of my liftoff shots are on the blurry side, Hopefully as I learn to use my new camera we'll start getting better shots. Yours is an EXCELLENT shot.

As mark stated most of the minimum diameter micros more or less teleport off the pad. Best luck catching Micro powered liftoffs is on the larger body diameter, heavier models.

I love it when someone gets a liftoff shot of a Micro, they are so elusive & rare.

Great looking rocket.

Even greater pic.

Winter is almost here. Looks like time to get some building done.

Awesome photo!!! What size body tube is that rocket? It's always fun to have good photos of your own rocket. Usually it's tough to hold a launch controller and a camera at the same time. Or if someone else does capture a photo, it's tough to know they did or get it sent to you. I have tons of great rocket photos from SSS (Superstition Spacemodeling Society) launches, but no clue who's rockets they are...

Awesome photo!!! What size body tube is that rocket? It's always fun to have good photos of your own rocket. Usually it's tough to hold a launch controller and a camera at the same time. Or if someone else does capture a photo, it's tough to know they did or get it sent to you. I have tons of great rocket photos from SSS (Superstition Spacemodeling Society) launches, but no clue who's rockets they are...

Hi Josh,
I wanted to post it on the Micro Association forum but didn't see how to download the picture.
That's the Greg Poehlein Zoom Broom downscale. It's BT-5 based and the first downscale Goony downscale I made.
Here's the TRF archive link, go down to post #200 for the PDF:
https://www.rocketryforumarchive.co...&highlight=downscale+of+some+classics&page=10
Both Greg and Bob Harrington have done great downscales and inspired me to do a few.

I've downscaled all the other five GoonyBirds and they are available to print build and fly (FREE!)
The PDFs are hosted on Wayne Hill's Rocketry Blog:
https://rocketry.wordpress.com/ultimate-paper-rocket-guide/paper-rocket-partial-builds/

Click on my name and it'll take you down to the Gooney PDF links.

Gooney Family 008_WEB.jpg

Last edited:
I have yet to set up a member gallery on the MRA site. I could do it, but I'm thinking about doing it differently. To save on excessive disk space, and keep it for those who are serious, I've placed my offer regarding personalized sub sites within the MRA site. Users would have disk space and there would be no limit, but it would not include the ability for anyone to just load up photos any old time. You could still link to them and post them in the forums for discussions, but it would require them being on your sub site first. I know this will strike people as an inconvenience, but how many photos do you have loaded on the NAR or Tripoli site? Some people will get this, some will not. For example and info, visit www.microrocketry.com/jcms

Last edited:
Back