Next Kit Advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darrena

Reaction score
Hi,

I am just getting back in to model rocket building after previously flying a few low power rockets a number of years back.
I am currently building a LOC Viper IV which will fly on a cluster of 4 D12-5 Estes motors.

For my next model I would like to build something a little more powerful (not a cluster and moving away fom Estes engines) while not too exspensive and was looking for some advice.
Whats the best engine size to gor for 29mm or 38mm?

I live in the UK so not all kits / engines will be availble

Thanks in advance

Regards
Darren

I'd go with a 29mm. It's a big jump from 24mm to 38mm. Since you obviously can get LOC kits, they do have several nice 29mm kits. Maybe an Onyx or a Weasel?

I'd go with a 29mm. It's a big jump from 24mm to 38mm.
Thats true. Id suggest either a LOC kit (iv built one) or an Aerotech kit (iv built one) if you can get them. Personally, though, id rather go with an Aerotech kit for a first MPR kit, because they are durable kits that will last and last if built correctly, and also because they ALL come with 29mm motor mounts. I could say the same thing about LOC, but i havent built any of their MPR kits, just one HPR. Both teach you the skills you need, though.

LOC does produce great kits, but we would be happy to sell you any of our mid-power kits. The only drawback is that international shipping costs may run $50 or more.
:mad:

Initial thoughts would include the Wildman Darkstar Mini, Darkstar Lite, Wildchild to give you a step up to fiberglass and keep you in the mid-power range with the option to go high-power.

Another "ok" mid-power kit in my book that should be very widely available is the Quest High-Q. It lacks through the wall fins and they are balsa not plywood but it flies nicely and comes with a 29mm motor mount and a 24/29 adapter.

Thanks guys, the aeroteck kits are a little harder to get hold of an a lot more expensive but I will have a look around and see what I can find.

I have my eye on the LOC Athena-3 as per the following link https://shop.locprecision.com/produ...9348.qscstrfrnt01?productId=359&categoryId=14
But a normal in the UK it looks like I may struggle to get hold of it!

The LOC Athena-3 is a marginal MPR rocket. It's much more of a HPR. Its weight is listed at 44 oz, and you can figure with most builds and paint, it will come in closer to 48-54 oz. This can be flown low and slow on G motors, but really needs and H to get a good flight.

For a first MPR I would recommend a 24mm that weighs 8 - 18 oz, or a 29mm at 18 - 30 oz. At those weights, the composite motors will work quite well without being too over or under powered.

Get the Aerotech 24/40 and 29/40-120 cases. They will give you the biggest range of reload sizes per case. The 24/40 can be used in place of the Estes D motors so any rockets you have that use that motor, can really go on an E or F load in that case.

If you can get it, try the LOC Vulcanite. It has a 38mm motor mount, but it will fly on many 29mm loads with an adapter. Remember, you can always adapt down, but you cannot adapt up. However, you will need a least a full "F" motor for a safe flight.

The LOC Onyx is a great rocket that many have in their collection. If you are interested in getting certified, it is a great rocket to fly on a small H motor. The Forte (also LOC) is similar but allows for some bigger motors if you want something you can continue to progress with.

If you can get it, try the LOC Vulcanite. It has a 38mm motor mount, but it will fly on many 29mm loads with an adapter. Remember, you can always adapt down, but you cannot adapt up. However, you will need a least a full "F" motor for a safe flight.

Here is a suggestion-
Look at the kits available on the apogee website. They have a table that you can sort according to things such as engine diameter. Also most of the kits include information on what engines they might fly with and approximate altitudes, so you can pick a kit with the kind of performance that you have in mind.

Thanks for all your ideas I am currently chercking availibility on a a few of them.

Just found this one from LOC that may be a good option, its only 13 oz

https://www.rocketstore.co.uk/shop/...artPosition=1&strSearchCriteria=any&PT_ID=all

The LOC Graduator looks like a great choice in your situation. I checked RocketReviews.com and there are lots of good comments about this rocket. Just don't launch it on a D12! Here's a link to the reviews I checked:
https://www.rocketreviews.com/locprecision-graduator--by-mark-trotter.html
I'm building my second LOC kit right now and think they are a great transition into mid-power/HPR rocketry.

Hi All,

Thanks for all your help, I think I have made a decision, I'm looking to go with the LOC/Precision - Tweed B (29mm) (PK-27) weighs 23 oz so not too heavy but is still pretty hugh at 55 inches

Hi All,

Thanks for all your help, I think I have made a decision, I'm looking to go with the LOC/Precision - Tweed B (29mm) (PK-27) weighs 23 oz so not too heavy but is still pretty hugh at 55 inches

That is a good choice for MPR. The recommended F & G motors fit right in with the 29/40-120 Hobbyline series of reloads. I think you'll have a lot of fun with that rocket.

Good Choice

Here is a suggestion-
Look at the kits available on the apogee website. They have a table that you can sort according to things such as engine diameter. Also most of the kits include information on what engines they might fly with and approximate altitudes, so you can pick a kit with the kind of performance that you have in mind.
That is a good company! if you have their Rocksim software, you are also able to download the Rocksim file for all of the rockets they sell!

Back