RED GLARE XII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On the road now! First road trip to MDRA... Past events I've flown and shipped rockets, or coordinated with Wildman Hobbies to get there. This time, I'm in the car with Adam (labmate, freshly minted PhD, and scramjet expert... come pick his brain) somewhere east of Columbus, OH. See you all tomorrow!

On the field! Took us two hours to get all set up... ...mainly because of the WIND! Man the forecasters blew this one... No breezes. Rather a hard wind of better than 15 MPH today...

We've had 3 launches so far. Hope the winds die and things pick up :)

On the field! Took us two hours to get all set up... ...mainly because of the WIND! Man the forecasters blew this one... No breezes. Rather a hard wind of better than 15 MPH today...

We've had 3 launches so far. Hope the winds die and things pick up :)

Thanks for the update. Please, keep us posted. I'll be heading down on Saturday morning.

Mike

Does anyone know the projected launch schedule for Saturdays Red Glare XII?
I am bringing my 2 young boys to the event and dont know what time would be best for viewing, especially the larger rockets.
Any suggestions would be helpful.

I am bringing my 2 young boys to the event and dont know what time would be best for viewing, especially the larger rockets.

No other schedule that I am aware of other than 9:00 - 5:00

The wind may keep some of the larger projects grounded, but I'm not sure...

Get there early and stay late.
Most times ( pun) there is no set schedule for who launches what as there are many mini tasks that go into launching the big rockets.

I was hoping to head down Sunday but, the winds don't look good as a storm front is coming through.

JD

Flew my Competitor 5 to almost exactly 10,000' and recovered a few thousand feet from my car. Weather was nice, a little windy at times, but the forecast is looking favorable for tomorrow!

Had a great day 1! I was impressed by the turnout for a Friday. Should really be hopping tomorrow.

As Jim Flis alluded to, the winds were a bit more than expected today. Fortunately by late afternoon they had died down a bit.

I only flew two rockets today, but there is tons of fun to be had watching other people's rockets too. Especially the big projects!

Now to head out for some late dinner and rest up for a big Saturday!

Jim Z

It was a bit windy today but in the right direction. They said it should be windier tomorrow but the local channels say no. Flew small and low and slow today. Volunteering for the next two days but I'm trying for to mile contest.

Today was a gorgeous day to fly some rockets! As Jim said, it started out windy, but as the day went on, the winds died down.

Dry conditions caused me to cancel my N2600SK launch. They ended up banning all sparky motors for the weekend, but I had decided not to fly it before anyone even started launching.

With that out of the way, I made the decision to fly the Redstone. I was much less nervous this time, and the prep went pretty quickly. She was on the pad by 2:00. This flight was on a central M1939W and four K550Ws all lit on the pad. She flew beautifully to 5,760' and was recovered with no damage. In the first flight, the nosecone was destroyed by the "energetic" ejection charge. This time, I rethought how I put the cone together, and it held up just fine. The next flight will be at LDRS on the same motors.

Can't wait to see what the rest of the weekend holds!

_MG_0668-2.jpg

Yea the sparky ban sucks,,,, but it is what it is. Flew the giant stealth on a 3 grain 76mm white,,, L800ish, was very cool. I hope to put the Ultimate Dark star up today on a M3700! I guess I will have a bunch of sparkles for the sod farm

first thing today (sat) is the wildman 4 inch rocket on a 3 inch motor....as a minimum Wildman, Crazy Jim & me (Wildman CT) but I'm sure Tim's found some other takers (suckers) cuz you know one of the three of us is gonna cheat!

lol. He kept trying to sucker me into it. Unfortunately, I no longer have a 4 inch rocket with a 3 inch hole. My Extreme Darkstar met an untimely demise a few weeks ago due to a K740 that went from "Cool" to "Really Cool!"

Day 2 and it is warmer and, as expected, a bit more windy...

Today we will serve our first, of several, anniversary cakes :)

Crowds are pulling in and it looks like a good day already!

Today was a good day. Warmer and, frankly, I think the wind was lower.

Lots of people and lots of flying! Oh, and the cake was a big hit :)

I'll post pix when we get back to town

[YOUTUBE]m3Sth5suPhg[/YOUTUBE]

attachment.php

RG8 Aerial via SM-XMR Nose Cam. 14APR12.jpg

Last edited:
Such a sweet shot, Mike! Thanks for posting it. I don't think I've seen a better picture of the field.

Somewhere down there is my car. I should have thought to wave. We really had a good turn out today, as your picture shows. And lots of awesome flights like yours.

Jim Z

Such a sweet shot, Mike! Thanks for posting it. I don't think I've seen a better picture of the field.

Somewhere down there is my car. I should have thought to wave. We really had a good turn out today, as your picture shows. And lots of awesome flights like yours.

Jim Z

Thanks Jim! Here's hoping for some more favorable weather tomorrow ... got another rocket I want to fly this HD camera in.

Mike

Here's the video of my Mercury Redstone flight yesterday.

[YOUTUBE]dKSFiV8welk[/YOUTUBE]

Today was a good day. Warmer and, frankly, I think the wind was lower.

Lots of people and lots of flying! Oh, and the cake was a big hit :)

I'll post pix when we get back to town

Hey Jim, that WAS good cake! Congrats on the 10th anniversary. Here are some pics I took today.

Dave

P1090252.jpg

Cutting the cake.jpg

Jim serves the first piece.jpg

This gorgeous Iris launched yesterday at Red Glare and experienced a problem right after first stage separation. Looks like a CATO. The rocket came down under chute while burning motor grains rained to the ground causing a bit of excitement in the dry grass. Here are some pics.

DSC_6891 (Large).jpg

DSC_6893 (Large).jpg

DSC_6894 (Large).jpg

DSC_6895 (Large).jpg

DSC_6897 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
My twins and I managed to fly a few drag races on Friday: Our 3 Performance Rocketry Little Dogs and Art Applewhite pyramids. Flew several others..Had a blast, was great seeing old friends.

Apart from our Little Dog drag race, our favorite launch was Tom Hier's! The recovery deployment was pure art.

Our thanks to the whole crew that make the launch possible..RSO's, Pad managers, and MDRA BOD. Great work guys.

Hopefullly next Red Glare we stay for the whole three days. Enjoy the rest of the launch guys!

Last edited:
Apart from our Little Dog drag race, our favorite launch was Tom Hier's! The recovery deployment was pure art.

You talking about my 76mm Stealth,,, or my Ultimate Dark Star which I kept close by recovering with a 24" drouge?

Tom

You talking about my 76mm Stealth,,, or my Ultimate Dark Star which I kept close by recovering with a 24" drouge?

Tom
Tom we loved the Stealth!
Watching all 5-6 of those chutes unfold in sequence was gorgeous. Btw what brand chutes do yoo use?

The take off was equally spectacular, we could feel the roar in our chests....

/quoute LCO Mike Tyson "keep bringing those Tom"

Red Glare XII is over and it was great fun. I flew all 3 days. Friday was a bit cool and winds were manageable. That said I had to drive to locate my Formula 75 which drifted about a mile. Chute was too big for the conditions. :bangpan:

I was going to fly my X-celerator on a big K Skidmark but the grass was too dry and sparky motors were nixed for all 3 days. The winds whipped up on portions of Saturday and changed direction towards the highway so I stuck to my smaller projects. Saturday warmed up and Sunday went into the low 80's. I had a great time. Thanks to the MDRA club for making it happen! And thanks to my wife for making those rocket cozies. They work great. Some pics of my projects attached. Flight photos in next post.

Green Crayon.jpg

Miller Lite.jpg

SQUAT.jpg

Cozies.jpg

Attachments

• Formula 75.jpg
    Formula 75.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back