RED GLARE XII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Tim,

what we need now is a drag race.......

4inch rocket 3 inch motor???

Hotel reservations made, pre-registration complete, vacation day confirmed. Looks like this launch is shaping up to be a good time, now I just need to put the finishing touches on some rockets and I will be good to go. You never know, my Competitor 5 may even get some paint for this launch...

Can someone from the red glare planning committee contact me via email? Having a heck of a time reaching folks...

Tanks
Jim

machmadness.gif

We're in April now, so Red Glare is right around the corner. Seeing that they had such a good time at Thunderstruck over this past weekend with the Mach Madness competition, I figured I would kick the tires here to see if anyone is competing at Red Glare.

I plan to fly my 54mm Crank rocket on a KBA K700F (planned this in October, but it didn't pan out.)

The rocket has been changed a bit since the build thread. It's now bright orange, sports a Von Karman nosecone, and has a Featherweight Parrot on board for deployment and recording duties. Expecting mach 1.3 and 12,000'. Current goal is to fly it Saturday morning.

Not sure if there will be any prizes, but is anyone competing for bragging rights?

MDRA is the place where Mach Madness was born and it is still alive and well. Mach Madness at MDRA will be broken up into four classes. Class One is G motors and down, Class Two is H and I motors, Class Three is J, K and L motors and Class Four is M motors and above. Each participating class will have winners and the fastest overall will be crowned the Badest in the Land. The challenge is to keep your rocket under the waiver....remember this could change with an unfavorable wind direction.....and get your rocket back with a functioning recording altimeter. Like motors, MDRA does not discriminate against recording altimeters, we believe they are all good and their readings are valid. (Please review the MDRA website for the software we have. If you have an altimeter not on the list, that means we do not have the software. You must give us a copy so we have a record of your flight.) The good news is there is no entry fee, just register and compete for the prizes offered by our generous Vendors. Remember you do not have to break mach to win, just be faster than the competition in your class. :clap:

As a reminder....ROCKETS Magazine will be covering Red Glare XII for a future issue and video. To ensure you get in the magazine, and so I get the story straight and don't have to embellish too much, please fill out the data form, linked below. We know what the up part looks like....it is what happens after apogee, if it makes it, we get fuzzy on........

https://www.rocketsmagazine.com/Red Glare XII-ROCKETS-Project-Data-Sheet.doc

Last edited:
machmadness.gif

We're in April now, so Red Glare is right around the corner. Seeing that they had such a good time at Thunderstruck over this past weekend with the Mach Madness competition, I figured I would kick the tires here to see if anyone is competing at Red Glare.

I plan to fly my 54mm Crank rocket on a KBA K700F (planned this in October, but it didn't pan out.)

The rocket has been changed a bit since the build thread. It's now bright orange, sports a Von Karman nosecone, and has a Featherweight Parrot on board for deployment and recording duties. Expecting mach 1.3 and 12,000'. Current goal is to fly it Saturday morning.

Not sure if there will be any prizes, but is anyone competing for bragging rights?

Alrighty then. Uploaded some pics of Crank...looks like if there is a prize it's mine for the taking in Class 3...

Partly cloudy and a high of 64 predicted for Friday the 13th. Not that I am looking or anything.

It's the predicted winds that have me nervous. Sustained isn't bad at all but the gusts aren't good. Oh well, It's not like the weather on the eastern Shore changes every hour.:D

Just got off the phone with the guys at Red Arrow, they are confirmed to be at red glare too, Now if they have my 38mm cert2 special all will be good. They had just sold the last one so hopefully they get more in, I cant wait to see my 1/4 Patriot up on a J motor. Just hope it doesnt Hit Max-Q on the Quantum tube, LOL. Also to study for the damn written test. The up part is easy. ;) Andrew

It's the predicted winds that have me nervous. Sustained isn't bad at all but the gusts aren't good. Oh well, It's not like the weather on the eastern Shore changes every hour.:D

At least they have them predicted blowing from the north east :rolleyes:

At least they have them predicted blowing from the north east :rolleyes:

Cutrrent extended forcast for Price has a 20% chance of rain on Fri with lower, broken ceilings. Sat & Sun look to be about perfect. Figures as Maggie and I are working/helping much of the launch we wanted to get our flying in on Friday. Oh well, we're not flying very high and can probably get a few off Sunday morning. I just hope we don't get precip sufficient to turn the field into a mud pit.

Give it time......one thing is for sure, the weather will be there and MDRA will play the cards we are dealt.......:cool:

For our high fliers....a light NW breeze would be best........

Getting closer! :)

We have the anniversary cake ordered, so we are all set for some tenth anniversary fun at Red Glare. We also have the Red Glare range box stickers in hand.

Looks like we will have a new kit released just in time as well!

Going to be a busy weekend...

Question: How can a rocket that was 100% ready to fly for a aborted launch in January require soooo much work to get it ready again?

Level 3 here I come!

Pretty quiet in this thread.

I've been in the process of finishing everything up...my Competitor 5, Crank 54mm MD, Intimidator 3, and LOC Bullet are ready to go, less black powder. All motors loaded, electronics prepped, and parachutes packed.

Getting an early start on Friday to get on the field early. Hoping for good weather.

I think everyone is focused on final Prep. I still have one more detail to tend to. For everyone; There are still a number of Pad Manager slots open. It's only a two hour commitment and the help is needed. I think there may be one or two RSO slots left as well. See you all there.

Truck nearly all packed! Verified that the anniversary cake will be ready as we head out tomorrow morning (stop by Saturday at 1:00 for a slice! :) )

New kit (Mercury Redstone 1:130 scale) will be announced and available for purchase.

We will hold hourly raffles (at least on Saturday, perhaps on all days)

Stop by our booth for some fun, chat and the best kits available! :)

jim

Jim, you'll have to stop by my tent with the Redstone. It'd make for a good photo-op with my 1/6th scale. :)

Guys have a good time at Red Glare XII, It happens to fall on the weekend that I am traveling to my parents place in New Hampshire. Post plenty of pictures and videos :)

Everything is just about ready to load up. Me and a friend will be loading up his trailer tomorrow afternoon, and heading up there. See you guys on Friday!

Welp... I got screwed out of Friday (family matters) but I'll be there for Saturday and Sunday!

Got most of my stuff together. We should get into town Saturday around 5 to fly all day Sunday. No Level 2 for me. Not setup for dual deploy and don't want to risk recovery with the projected wind gusts. Also, fyi for all, a red flag warning is possible and fire danger will be very high to extreme.

Just got into Easton and settling in. Hope to be at the field around 8:00 to set up our booth.

Oh, and the cake looks GREAT :)

Quite excited!! This will be my second Red Glare. I'm just rounding everything up to load into the rocket wagon for the drive down in the morning. I hope to make it down by late morning/midday and take advantage of Friday's quieter breezes. :)

Hope to get to meet some of you there.

Jim Z

I have a 38mm Aerotech I435T reload that I would like to trade for any other Aerotech I reload that you may have.

See me on Saturday or Sunday. Look for a new Dodge crew cab pickup, dark blue with yellow light bar and sunshelter with blue top and white frame.

I have a 38mm Aerotech I435T reload that I would like to trade for any other Aerotech I reload that you may have.

See me on Saturday or Sunday. Look for a new Dodge crew cab pickup, dark blue with yellow light bar and sunshelter with blue top and white frame.

I have an H128W...:wink:

Back