RED GLARE XII

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe I can not finthis stuff, but...

Is there a discount code for the Sleep Inn rooms? I got a reservation already, but a price break would be nice.

In the food for thought or the rocket prepping department please consider the following.

For Red Glare XII, if we have a strong South West winds, which will put some of the high fliers in risk of landing in the trees or beyond, we will have to lower the waiver. Under what conditions and to what altitude would the adjustments be made? We will have to determine that specific to the conditions on site, while we are launching. When the conditions change, the adjustments will change. Our intent is to use as much of the waiver as possible. But there is not any one flight so important that MDRA will risk losing the field.

This past weekend we put two rockets in the trees and one on the power lines under light to moderate wind conditions. The higher you fly, the more your odds of getting off the property are increased. The minimum change for a large project is $300.00 to be removed from the trees. The cost to have a rocket removed from the power lines is $80.00.

As all the current MDRA members know, the trees to the North East are tall and costly to have your rockets removed from. The removal process can take over a week since there is only tree climber authorized to enter the property and climb the trees. Everyone knows they cannot; under any circumstances enter private property without permission. The bad news is, not all of the land owners are rocket friendly, hence these restrictions. The good news is we have developed a relationship with the land owners and they understand how we operate and will work with us if we work with them. This can only happen with cooperation from the fliers. Trust me; you do not want to be the one to screw things up by not staying with the program.

If you were smart, don’t limit yourself to mach busting 15,000’ flights. Bring other projects that will allow you to fly securely to a reasonable altitude and recover your rocket within the confines of Route 313. MDRA is all about Freedom to Fly but we can only do it if we have field to fly from. Prep your rockets accordingly and keep an eye on the weather forecast. All MDRA Members will see a form of this announcement multiple times, so I apologize in advance……But this is important and it only takes one.

:handshake:

Neil

Hey Neil:
Unfortunately some people need to be told! multiple times before they get the point!

At Red Glare 11 the waiver got dropped to 6k, At that point I was told I could not fly my Mad Dog on the M2245IM Demo and I was completely! fine with that, There is always another launch.

There is no way in hell I! wanna be the guy responsible for loosing the MDRA field.

The key to having a successful weekend is to come prepared with multiple projects that will work with the variable conditions that challenge us on the Eastern Shore of Maryland. Don't put your eggs all in one basket. As long as your flying, your having fun. If we have a low cloud cover, we'll deal with it. If we have high winds, we'll deal with it. Regardless of what weather cards are dealt us, by the end of Red Glare XII there will be hundreds of rockets taking flight.

Last edited:
That's why you should bring a Steath 54 and a Ksomething or another skid/dark matter/metal storm.... you still get to fly in windy days!

I'm planning to drive down to Red Glare this year to see what you're all so excited about. No, really it sounds like a great event. I just started "playing" around with rockets again last year (after a 15 year lull) and I'm excited to move up to the high power stuff. I was planning to do my level one cert at our club launch at the end of April, but with Red Glare occurring earlier in the month I was wondering if they let people certify at this event or is it more for showing off? Is there someone I should coordinate with ahead of time? Looks like there will be a couple of vendors there who could sell me a motor for my Pro38 case.

There will be every motor flown at Red Glare from 1/4A to P! L1 L2 & L3 go on all the time, Just have your paperwork and wittinesses lined up and Neil Will push the button.

Just bought my tickets! Looks like I'll be back to see the East Coast crew!

I'm planning to drive down to Red Glare this year to see what you're all so excited about. No, really it sounds like a great event. I just started "playing" around with rockets again last year (after a 15 year lull) and I'm excited to move up to the high power stuff. I was planning to do my level one cert at our club launch at the end of April, but with Red Glare occurring earlier in the month I was wondering if they let people certify at this event or is it more for showing off? Is there someone I should coordinate with ahead of time? Looks like there will be a couple of vendors there who could sell me a motor for my Pro38 case.

I used to make the drive from Ma at least twice a year. Its not that bad, and the MDRA field is incredible compared to anything else in the North East. You won't regret it.

........ I was wondering if they let people certify at this event or is it more for showing off? Is there someone I should coordinate with ahead of time? Looks like there will be a couple of vendors there who could sell me a motor for my Pro38 case.

If you're Certifying NAR there are plenty of folks on hand (Myself included). Just mention it at the sign in table. If you're Certifying TRA, Neil is the local prefect and there will be at least 2 or 3 TAP members at the launch. Either way, download, print and bring the appropriate paperwork and you'll be good to go. We typically certify a dozen or more folks at any given RG event. It's a blast.:D

One more thing, As MDRA is an independant club (Neither NAR or TRA) you will need to join the club to fly. It's $25 for the Calander year, cheap when you think about it. You can sign up through the MDRA home page (www.mdrocketry.org). Go to the RED GLARE linkn then the Pre Registeration link. Hope to see you there.

If you're Certifying NAR there are plenty of folks on hand (Myself included). Just mention it at the sign in table. If you're Certifying TRA, Neil is the local prefect and there will be at least 2 or 3 TAP members at the launch. Either way, download, print and bring the appropriate paperwork and you'll be good to go. We typically certify a dozen or more folks at any given RG event. It's a blast.:D

Perfect - Just what I was hoping to hear! I'll be there - certifying NAR. Thank you.

I'm the prefect for METRA, so if you need to cert L1 or L2 TRA (or NAR as I'm NAR L3), feel free to ask the wildman where I am....also Crazy Jim is a TAP an he'll be there

Thinking about doing my Level 2 next month if I get a project together by then (or potentially just using the Gizmo). Will it be possible to do the written test on-site pre-flight?

Also, I have only flown down at Price a few times but I know that I (and most people) typically end up on the other side of the ditch (out of bounds on the map shown on the website). Has there been any flack for the recoveries in those areas or is the real issue the folks that trample on the other side of 313?

Thinking about doing my Level 2 next month if I get a project together by then (or potentially just using the Gizmo). Will it be possible to do the written test on-site pre-flight?

Also, I have only flown down at Price a few times but I know that I (and most people) typically end up on the other side of the ditch (out of bounds on the map shown on the website). Has there been any flack for the recoveries in those areas or is the real issue the folks that trample on the other side of 313?

For the NAR L2 Writen, contact Dave Weber. He's the clubs designated NAR written exam sponsor. There's a link on the MDRA site under the TRA/NAR Certification tab. Let him know you'd like to knock out your L2 Writen at RG and he'll hook you up. A greater guy you'll never meet. I'll give him a heads up at the meeting tomorrow night. Do be sure to bring a copy of the Cert paperwork available on the NAR homepage.
As for the recovery zone. There have been issues with rockets comming down on the other side of 313. There is a tenous relationship fostered between the board and the land owners outside of the Higgs property. One that has been improving slowly. I believe Neil may have addressed the details earlier in this thread. In short, if it comes down across 313, in the trees or not, Don't just go in after it. Inform a board member (3 or 4 are useally at the registeration table at any given time) and Bob will make arrangements to recover it. If the winds look as if they'll plop most high flyers out of zone, the ceiling will be lowered to keep everyone inside established boundries so plan your flights and motor selections with this possibility in mind. As we don't want to loose our field, the policy of Do Not Tread without Bobs blessing will be enforced. That and it's getting expensive to recover rockets from the trees, around $300 if memmory serves.
For flights comming down field side of 313 but across the ditch, not so much trouble. There is a short list of DO's and DON'Ts but otherwise not a problem. Recovery procedures will be announced frequently over the PA during the duration of the launch.
Any other details or questions, just contact the board. They are very dilligent at responding to inquires. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
The real problem is the "outboard" side of 313. The "inboard" side of 313 across the ditch is also private property, but the land owners work with us....so long as we respect the property. There are no trees there, so the fliers are in and out.

Thanks guys. That is kind of what I though regarding recovery areas. I will definitely contact Dave about the written.

I must agree, bring some LPR and MPR. Some years ago the waiver was lowered because of clouds. A lot of people sat around waiting for them to lift. I stayed busy all day, must of got 15 LPR flights in on one day. Had a blast!

Having missed the last Red Glare, the twins and I are looking forward to RG XII and seeing everyone!

We have a full and varied array of stuff we are preparing to fly from 1/2A Estes to our Trio of Little Dogs to my 8 " carbon fiber Cerberus-central L2300G+ three J500's in the fin pods;) (I know it needs to be registered..)

See you guys at the launch!

Devastator from previous Red Glare..
devastatorj275rg7a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I need to pile on Neils points, when my big Harpoon ended up beyond 313, I talked to Tommy Higgs and Bob,, then went to look for it. I went to Tommys brothers house to introduce myself, and got the ok and started looking. I ran into the land owner in question, when I saw him I walked directly to him, introduced myself, explained why I was there, apologized for wandering onto his property. I told him I was looking for a 16ft tall 160lb rocket. He was very nice and even said he MIGHT allow me to bring my truck onto his property if needed, AS LONG AS HE AND HIS FRIENDS WERE NOT HUNTING!!! This was the key, as long as they were not hunting and I notified him he was OK with me being there. He gave me his cell number and told me to call him if I needed to get on his property to recover the Harpoon. I made my way back through the woods to Tommys brothers farm, went back to talk to Tommy again for advise, he said to go to the next farm,, yada yada yada, I ran into the previous land owner again, who gave me a tip to go down into a shallow where I would be able to see two large fields of beans (and considering the size of the Harpoon) I should be able to see a large area. It worked. The Harpoon was on Higgs family property,, but a long hike through the beans to get it. I went back to his brothers house, informed them I could see the rocket and ASKED permission to go get it,, and how best to get there. I was given the OK,, but I had to walk to get there, (I expected nothing less) she guided me to how to get the truck close,, but then I would have to hike it out. When I was finished,, I went back to the house and thanked them for allowing me to get it back, offered them some wallet sized pictures of dead presidents which they refused, as did the other land owner. Here is the thing,, most farmers are great people, they just have an investment in land and crops, like to hunt the land, and that is their right,, THEY OWN THE LAND. Most will go out of their way to help if they can,, they just want respect for the land they own. That was the first time in 10+ years one of my rockets left Tommys farm, it was my fault, I wired a charge up to the wrong channel.

I come from a hunters back round, we used to run coonhounds, once you release them from the lead,, you have no control of where they go, you learn how to not piss off land owners. Some just don't want anyone on their property, there is nothing you can do about that,, some,, like the landowner in question beyond 313, have just had it with folks not respecting their property.

Lets NOT get Tommy and Eugenes neighbors pissed off at them,, which would get MDRA kicked off the property, respect land owners, and their property, this goes for EVERYWHERE we all fly, be it on the east coast, west coast, and everywhere inbetween.

Tom

I need to pile on Neils points, when my big Harpoon ended up beyond 313, I talked to Tommy Higgs and Bob,, then went to look for it. I went to Tommys brothers house to introduce myself, and got the ok and started looking. I ran into the land owner in question, when I saw him I walked directly to him, introduced myself, explained why I was there, apologized for wandering onto his property. I told him I was looking for a 16ft tall 160lb rocket. He was very nice and even said he MIGHT allow me to bring my truck onto his property if needed, AS LONG AS HE AND HIS FRIENDS WERE NOT HUNTING!!! This was the key, as long as they were not hunting and I notified him he was OK with me being there. He gave me his cell number and told me to call him if I needed to get on his property to recover the Harpoon. I made my way back through the woods to Tommys brothers farm, went back to talk to Tommy again for advise, he said to go to the next farm,, yada yada yada, I ran into the previous land owner again, who gave me a tip to go down into a shallow where I would be able to see two large fields of beans (and considering the size of the Harpoon) I should be able to see a large area. It worked. The Harpoon was on Higgs family property,, but a long hike through the beans to get it. I went back to his brothers house, informed them I could see the rocket and ASKED permission to go get it,, and how best to get there. I was given the OK,, but I had to walk to get there, (I expected nothing less) she guided me to how to get the truck close,, but then I would have to hike it out. When I was finished,, I went back to the house and thanked them for allowing me to get it back, offered them some wallet sized pictures of dead presidents which they refused, as did the other land owner. Here is the thing,, most farmers are great people, they just have an investment in land and crops, like to hunt the land, and that is their right,, THEY OWN THE LAND. Most will go out of their way to help if they can,, they just want respect for the land they own. That was the first time in 10+ years one of my rockets left Tommys farm, it was my fault, I wired a charge up to the wrong channel.

I come from a hunters back round, we used to run coonhounds, once you release them from the lead,, you have no control of where they go, you learn how to not piss off land owners. Some just don't want anyone on their property, there is nothing you can do about that,, some,, like the landowner in question beyond 313, have just had it with folks not respecting their property.

Lets NOT get Tommy and Eugenes neighbors pissed off at them,, which would get MDRA kicked off the property, respect land owners, and their property, this goes for EVERYWHERE we all fly, be it on the east coast, west coast, and everywhere inbetween.

Tom

Long story short, if your rocket goes across 313, talk to Bob. If anyone has a question as to boundries, the MDRA website has an aireal view here; https://www.mdrocketry.org/launches/images/HiggsFarmProperty.jpg

When I was finished,, I went back to the house and thanked them for allowing me to get it back, offered them some wallet sized pictures of dead presidents which they refused, as did the other land owner. Here is the thing,, most farmers are great people, they just have an investment in land and crops, like to hunt the land, and that is their right,,
Tom

Man! I helped haul that thing out and never saw any dead presidents :wink:

Fair is fair, Tom does let me use his trailer as my storage are during red glare :cool:

Gratuitous google earth elevation profile of a flight I had last weekend at MDRA, Just cause I thought it looked cool. Red line is the up part, black is the shadow or 2D track. I was testing out my GPS setup with Xbee radios; this flight was only to 3500'.

PS%20I117%203-11-12.JPG

Last edited:
Yeah Tim will be there or at least he better be! If I'm not flying I'll most likely be found in his trailer BSing with both Tim and Jim, Having those 2 guys at RG is half the fun for me, In my book it would not be a Red Glare without them.

Well it's Official Gary. I will make it to Red Glare this year, hanging with Tim and Jim, great now I have that guilty by association thing going for me too.

Great! Don, I look forward to meeting you, Just look for the fat bald guy smoking a cigar.

Just announced...ROCKETS Magazine will be covering Red Glare XII for a magazine article and a video...so the field will be safe for flying, Bob and I will not be launching.

The focus will be on the big projects.......shocker!!!!!!!!.....but there are just too many to pass up and bring to the rocket flying publics attention. Three Class Three's, mega diameter Level Three attempt on a 24" rocket under N power, uncounted M's and N's and awesome projects of every size and description.......we couldn't pass it up. Red Glare XII is shaping up to be one of the biggest and best yet.

We will have the Data Sheets available on line shortly. If you are flying at Red Glare XII, be sure to fill it out and get it back to me. Specifically what we want to hear about is how your flight performed and what you thought of the launch. We want to see and hear about the good, the bad and the ugly......We'll need the footage for Cool and Really Cool 4....:D

Does my Redstone count as "Cool," or does the lack of a tower knock it down to "Meh?" :D

I thought you were just going to fly the tower....now that would be uber cool....:cool:

All kidding aside....the Redstone will be one of the big dogs.....well worth the price of admission.....

I'm excited....I get to press the button......:neener:

Back