My shock cord technique.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McKailas Dad

Reaction score
Kevlar shock cord bundling....

Tried rubber bands. Not so well.

I've used masking tape. Works well.

Tried 1/4 launch lugs? Works great!

DSCF5173.jpg

DSCF5175.jpg

DSCF5176.jpg

DSCF5177.jpg

DSCF5178.jpg

Hey! Someone just came up with a good use for all those 1/4" tubes that AT uses in their HPR reloads for packing the ignitors.

I wonder how big of lugs I would need for 1/2" tubular nylon...or 7/16" kevlar strap.

What happens when the parachute is deployed? I don't quite follow.

The idea is to lessen the shock of the chute opening and pulling on the cord.

If you have the correct delay this is probably not needed. :wink:

Pretty cool idea.

How big is the Kevlar microbraid?

I wonder if the technique can be upscaled?

Greg

sweet! I wonder if those tubes that copperhead igniters come in would work for LPR!

That is the 1/4" that Wildman sells...here

I'm not sure why they call it 1/8" :confused2:

3/16" maybe, but definatly not 1/8".

I've done 10 or 15 launches using this, and usually 1 or 2 of them are not completely undone. I guess that means it must be working!

They don't have to be perfect, either. Give it a few folds like pic 2, and slide the tube over. Done.

usually takes me a launch or two to get perfect delay. this is an excellent idea.

Thanks! Glad you like it. :grin:

It really can't get much easier...

...or cheaper!

So, has any body tried this yet? Chad, looks like your Dra-Glo could use it. :wink:

I think this would work well upscaled, too. For as many Kevlar/nylon sizes there are, I'm sure there is a BT size to match.

The tube doesn't seem to sustain any damage, as the shock cord is pulled straight out. I was concerned the cardboard would rip, but the 15-20 flights in using it, so far, proves otherwise.

Try it, you will like it. (Even if your name isn't Mikey :rolleyes: )

Jeff, what is the size (100lb, 200lb, 1/8", etc) kevlar and how many feet are you bridling in the above photos. Thanks for bumping the post.

So, has any body tried this yet? Chad, looks like your Dra-Glo could use it. :wink:

I think this would work well upscaled, too. For as many Kevlar/nylon sizes there are, I'm sure there is a BT size to match.

The tube doesn't seem to sustain any damage, as the shock cord is pulled straight out. I was concerned the cardboard would rip, but the 15-20 flights in using it, so far, proves otherwise.

Try it, you will like it. (Even if your name isn't Mikey :rolleyes: )

HA! It's a Wildman kit, it don't need no steenkin' recovery gear! Actually, just haven't got to that point with it yet... Sidenote - are you bringing your rail to JC Sunday?

Can this technique be used for LPR and MPR with Kevlar cords? Would there be enough tug on the cord to separate them?

I was looking for a clean way to tuck in my shock cords (100lb and 300lb Kevlar) without having to loop them around my fingers and stuff/slide them in the rocket.

This reminds me of the lanyard on our harneses when we had to wear them in construction. The 2" nylon strap was folded much like your shock cord, then sewn with a special thread at each fold, needed more force to rip the stiches loose towards the full length undone. It was intended to take the "Shock" of a sudden stop upon a fall to limit body damage. Much like the crumple zones in todays cars.
This is an excepitional keen idea, especially for the bigger heavier rockets.
My hats off to you sir, and many thanks for sharing.
I'm sure many will follow up with reports of succes, stopping zippering, nose cone snap back and a host of recorded problems associated with recovery ejections.

Preparing my "YouBee" for flight, I have to accordian four long segments of of 9/16" tubular nylon shock cord to keep it from hanging inside the rocket and getting caught on something.

The last time I used masking tape, but it takes more than two hands and more dexterity that I can mange to fold the shock cord, hold it, and wrap it with tape.

So ... I may borrow this idea and try cardboard tubes. The tubes from rolls of bathroom tissue would be about the right size. :)

-- Roger

Preparing my "YouBee" for flight, I have to accordian four long segments of of 9/16" tubular nylon shock cord to keep it from hanging inside the rocket and getting caught on something.

The last time I used masking tape, but it takes more than two hands and more dexterity that I can mange to fold the shock cord, hold it, and wrap it with tape.

So ... I may borrow this idea and try cardboard tubes. The tubes from rolls of bathroom tissue would be about the right size. :)

-- Roger

I.D. of cardboard tubes soaked with thin CA and sanded smooth are slicker then snot on a door knob.

Really! It's nearly frictionless, it will aid in the release of the kevlar loops.

If you want friction, don't sand. The CA will make all the paper fibers hard & stand up.

Last edited:
RocketManDan said:
Can this technique be used for LPR and MPR with Kevlar cords? Would there be enough tug on the cord to separate them?

I was looking for a clean way to tuck in my shock cords (100lb and 300lb Kevlar) without having to loop them around my fingers and stuff/slide them in the rocket.

This setup is in my Executioner (but 29mm, anti-zipper, etc.) In finding out El Cheapos question on length, I (slowly) picked it up by the sustainer, and the loops ~almost~ came undone. A quick tug and they were out. Kind of like fitting a coupler, not too loose, not too tight...

I just weighed the booster section,with no motor, a measly 165.5 grams.

El Cheapo said:
Jeff, what is the size (100lb, 200lb, 1/8", etc) kevlar and how many feet are you bridling in the above photos. Thanks for bumping the post.

I used the 1/8" from Wildman. There is about 4 feet between the parachute and baffle. 9+ feet from there up to the NC. So, each 'bundle' holds almost 2 feet.

I used to use masking tape, but this is easier (less clumsy) for me. Besides, people always looked at me funny 'de-tacking' the tape on my forehead...

I'm going to keep bumping this until dixontj93060 tries this. Tim...? (not Dave:p)

Kevlar shock cord bundling....

Tried rubber bands. Not so well.

I've used masking tape. Works well.

Tried 1/4 launch lugs? Works great!

I did this fold and tape technique on my level 3 and it worked well.

I use the technique often when there is room but I use electrical tape rings and it works well. Like you said usually the last two don't even unravel so it definatly does its job.

I have used this technique several times the past couple of weeks and it works great, cheap and easy, ....... doesn't get any better.

Tim

Bump on a 3 year old thread lol

I've got all my Kevlar stuff rigged up like this, works flawlessly!

Edit...FOUR year old thread :/

Last edited:
Back