Estes - Crusader Swing Wing Glider (#1961) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
inspirted by the Scissor-Wing Transport #1265,
The Crusader Swing-wing BG #1961 was always one of my favorite Sport flying BG's.
I'm awful at trimming Gliders but this one just seemed to fall together in pretty good glide trim. has and internal full length BT-20 motor ejection pod that carries the need nose weight making the Glider portion very light with it's upper split V Tail and elastic thread pop up elevators and 11-1/2" Center pivot rubberband opening wing it transitions into glide pretty well almost as it comes out of the bag. The injection molded Nose/cockpit help make it a very light weight sport glider if you don't do what I did and go a little crazy with the Fluorescent Orange & yellow paint with Gloss clear to smooth it out.

Big BT-60 (1.637") diameter body is 18" long with a 3/32" balsa wing and Tail. the lower third tail fin stays attached to the ejecting pod helping to lower the overall mass of the glider.
Flies on B4-2, B6-2 and C6-3 motors, but unless you have a very large field...I mean Large B6-2 put it up for decent 45second to over a minute flights. C6-3's HO yeah! Very long flights and Glide distances. I've almost lost mine several times on that motor with the model flying & Gliding out of sight over the river and through the woods. Last C6-3 flight had the model found over 1-1/4 miles down range after a very long search. Hi diddly dee...it's B6-2 in this Bird for me!
Build in a bit of a turn if you can...believe me it really helps.

032_Crusader Swing-Wing BG (2pic)_08-05-89.jpg

Welcome to the Estes Crusader Swing Wing Glider (#1961) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Crusader Swing Wing Glider (#1961) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Crusader Swing Wing Glider: #1961

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Crusader Swing Wing Glider (#1961) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Crusader Swing Wing Glider Also known as:

NUMBER: #1961

Introduced: 1986
Final Year: 1988
Designer:

Type: Boost Glider
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Streamer/Glide
Stages: 1
Length: 18"
Diameter: 1.637"
Span: 11.5"
Weight: 2.2 oz

Mfg. Description: Our model of this NASA advanced fighter concept will soar to 800 feet. The internal power pod is ejected at apogee and the rocket becomes a winged glider with glide times of 45 seconds or more. Pod descent is via recovery streamer. Kit includes die-cut parts, balsa fins, plastic nose cone and sections, plus quick-release engine mount and two color decal. (Estes 1986 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-crusader%20swing%20wing%201961-1986%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1986 Catalog
estes-crusader%20swing%20wing%201961-1987%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1987 Catalog
estes-crusader%20swing%20wing%201961-1988%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1988 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-crusader%20swing%20wing%201961-facecard.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-crusader%20swing%20wing%201961-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
inspirted by the Scissor-Wing Transport #1265,
The Crusader Swing-wing BG #1961 was always one of my favorite Sport flying BG's.
I'm awful at trimming Gliders but this one just seemed to fall together in pretty good glide trim. has and internal full length BT-20 motor ejection pod that carries the need nose weight making the Glider portion very light with it's upper split V Tail and elastic thread pop up elevators and 11-1/2" Center pivot rubberband opening wing it transitions into glide pretty well almost as it comes out of the bag. The injection molded Nose/cockpit help make it a very light weight sport glider if you don't do what I did and go a little crazy with the Fluorescent Orange & yellow paint with Gloss clear to smooth it out.

Big BT-60 (1.637") diameter body is 18" long with a 3/32" balsa wing and Tail. the lower third tail fin stays attached to the ejecting pod helping to lower the overall mass of the glider.
Flies on B4-2, B6-2 and C6-3 motors, but unless you have a very large field...I mean Large B6-2 put it up for decent 45second to over a minute flights. C6-3's HO yeah! Very long flights and Glide distances. I've almost lost mine several times on that motor with the model flying & Gliding out of sight over the river and through the woods. Last C6-3 flight had the model found over 1-1/4 miles down range after a very long search. Hi diddly dee...it's B6-2 in this Bird for me!
Build in a bit of a turn if you can...believe me it really helps.

View attachment 63558
Hello! I am in the process of obtaining the parts to build one of these, the nose cones are printing out right now and body tubes are on the way. I had one of these in the 80s and it flew, straight into the woods. I want to make it so that it circles when the wings deploy to hopefully make recovery easier. With the v tail, any idea how to do this? Should I make one of the elevators go higher than the other?

Hello! I am in the process of obtaining the parts to build one of these, the nose cones are printing out right now and body tubes are on the way. I had one of these in the 80s and it flew, straight into the woods. I want to make it so that it circles when the wings deploy to hopefully make recovery easier. With the v tail, any idea how to do this? Should I make one of the elevators go higher than the other?
Yes, or a little weight on one wingtip.
kj

Back