Centuri - Astro 1 (KB-17 or #5047) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo

Reaction score
My Semroc Astro 1 rocket with home made decals in black:

Semroc_Astro-1_1.jpg

Astro 1 is ST-10 and 18mm mount. Astro Jr. is ST-8 and 13mm mount. Astron is ST-8 and 18mm mount with streamer recovery.

Last edited:
Astro 1 is ST-10 and 18mm mount. Astro Jr. is ST-8 and 13mm mount. Astron is ST-8 and 18mm mount with streamer recovery.

That may be what's written on the website BEC, but the bagged Kit I got from Semroc Clearly said Astro-jr and it flys on 18mm motors. Perhaps mis-packaged? but the decals are clearly for Astro-jr as well.

I am flying an Astro Jr. that has a 13mm motor mount. I suppose I could check the other kit I have stashed. Perhaps the kit has been revised in the five years since you built yours? I've only been back at this for about 2.5 years so none of my Semroc stuff is older.

The Astron has recently gone to TTW fins...though the first ones were surface mount, so Carl does update things.

This is a nice Retro-Repro Astro-1 from Semroc. This is the rocket that spawned the down-sized Semroc Astron and Astro Jr. Originally a Centuri kit and one of the two first rockets that I built as a kid. I don't remember what came first the Astro-1 or the Snipe Hunter, but I bought them at the same time. I went with a non-stock paint scheme as I do remember painting my first Astro-1 with Testor's metallic purple as that was the color I had painted a model car with and I wanted to incorporate some purple on this model.

Astro-1-in-sky.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a mighty fine looking rocket with a really cool paint scheme.

Welcome to the Centuri Astro 1 (KB-17 or #5047) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri Astro 1 (KB-17 or #5047) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Astro-1: KB-17 or #5047
Centuri: Visible Astro: KC-10 of #5070
Chris Michielsson: Mini Astro 1:
Semroc: Astro-1: KV-30
Semroc: Astro-Jr: KA-4

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Astro-1 (KB-17 or #5047) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

MODEL NAME: Astro-1 Also known as:

NUMBER: KB-17 or #5047

Introduced: 1969
Final Year: 1983
Designer:

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 16"
Diameter: 1.05"
Span:
Weight: 1.1 oz

Mfg. Description: Easy and fast to build, ASTRO-1 is an excellent starting kit for the beginning rocketeer. Its high performance design assures you excellent, high altitude flights every time. Upon ignition, ASTRO-1 zooms hundreds of feet into the sky and returns safely by a large red and white parachute. Kit comes complete with parachute, colorful decals, "Quick-Change" engine mount and step-by-step illustrated instructions. (Centuri 1969 Catalog)

=====

This world famous sport flying rocket is easy and fast to build. Astro-1 is one of Centuri's most successful and popular kits for the aspiring modeler. High performance design, streamlined profile, and rake-back fins assure a perfect, high altitude flight every time. Astro-1 streaks hundreds of feet into the sky, returning safely on a large red and white chute. Decals included. (Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog)

=====

1971 Catalog text identical to 1969 Catalog

Advertising Liveries

centuri-astro%201%20KB17-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1969 Catalog
centuri-astro%201%20KB17-1970%20xmas%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1970 Christmas Catalog
centuri-astro%201%20KB17-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1971 Catalog

centuri-astro%201%20KB17-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1972 Catalog
centuri-astro%201%20KB17-1975%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1975 Catalog
centuri-astro%201%20KB17-1979%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1979 Catalog

centuri-astro%201%20KB17-1980%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1980 Catalog
centuri-astro%201%20KB17-1982%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1982 Catalog
centuri-astro%201%20KB17-1983%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1983 Catalog

Face Card(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Semroc Astro-1 (KV-30) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

MODEL NAME: Astro-1 Also known as:

NUMBER: KV-30

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Clone
Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 17.2" (43.8 cm)
Diameter: 1.04" (2.6 cm)
Span: 4.7" (12.0 cm)
Weight: 1.1 oz (31.2 g)

Mfg. Description: 1969 Retro Repro

Advertising Liveries

semroc-astro%201%20kv30-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
2011 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

semroc-astro%201%20kv30-facecard.jpg

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
If I remember right, mine was one of the first ten kits produced, but I built it anyway. Pretty much a bone stock build. I like Leo's black decals better.

SemrocAstro-1.jpg

SemrocAstro-1atVOA.jpg

JAL3, shouldn't this thread and the other Astro-1 thread be merged? Kind
a lonely here.

JAL3, shouldn't this thread and the other Astro-1 thread be merged? Kind
a lonely here.

I was not aware of another thread. Do I have it lumped in with another rocket?

I was not aware of another thread. Do I have it lumped in with another rocket?
It's late for me and I'm not sure what you're asking, but there's this thread we're on https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=29283
and this one: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=24741 which Fishhead just posted another great example of an Astro-1 (not too partial to this rocket am I?).

I don't know, but you have all the (considerable) pre-amble-type footwork done on this thread and it might be nice to cross thread or add that one to this one. I don't know how that works. But, thanks for all the work.

Last edited:
It's late for me and I'm not sure what you're asking, but there's this thread we're on https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=29283
and this one: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=24741 which Fishhead just posted another great example of an Astro-1 (not to partial to this rocket am I?).

I don't know, but you have all the (considerable) pre-amble-type footwork done on this thread and it might be nice to cross thread or add that one to this one. I don't know how that works. But, thanks for all the work.

You got it right and they are merged now.

I REALLY DO appreciate it when people point out my foul ups. That gives me a chance to try and correct them.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

I cloned this one from JimZ ... I had the Centuri tube from the 70s in my parts box, and when I was looking for some balsa, found a set of die-cut fins in a "Box 'O Cones" Centuri sold in 70s (rejected cones and balsa sheets) that suddenly looked very familiar :) I had 2 of 3 fins from a semi-original set!! There were some of the orange nose cones in the box too.

I printed the decal on a laserjet printer.

After I had the cone painted and started to glue the shoulder in place, the cone cracked:y: ... so I went back the cone box and found a balsa cone.

So, I have clone of a 70s rocket with mostly 70s parts.

DSC_3990MR.jpg

DSC_4225MR.jpg

Centuri Visible Astro (KC-10 or #5070) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

MODEL NAME: Visible Astro Also known as:

NUMBER: KC-10 or #5070

Introduced: 1971
Final Year: 1971
Designer:

Type: Static Display
Motor Mount: Dummy
Length: 18"
Diameter: 1.03"
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: An unusual and interesting display model, the VISIBLE ASTRO is ideal for use in explaining the workings of a model rocket. The clear plastic body reveals all the internal components including a beautifully molded plastic cutaway version of a typical model rocket engine. (Centuri 1971 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

centuri-visible%20astro%20kc10-1971%20cat.jpg
1971 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
I guess we've decided the Astro-Jr is okay here, right? I got this as a bonus on a Semroc order, probably one of my first orders from them.

semroc-astrojr.jpg

Here's my carded ASTRO 1 downscale
built around a BT-5 body tube it stands 8 1/2" tall.

Astro 1 Downscale_WEB.jpg

Email me at [email protected]
Request the Astro 1 PDF if you'd like to print and build one.
Great small field flyer with 1/2A3-4t engines.

Semroc Astro-Jr (KA-4) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

MODEL NAME: Astro-Jr Also known as:

NUMBER: KA-4

Introduced: 2004
Final Year:
Designer: Carl McLawhorn

Type: Sport, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Length: 14.9" (37.8 cm)
Diameter: 0.908" (2.3 cm)
Span: 4.1" (10.4 cm)
Weight: 0.7 oz (19.9 g)

Mfg. Description: The Astro-Jr is a smaller scale version of the original Astro-1 by Centuri Engineering Company. The original Astro-1 was released in the 1969 Centuri catalog. It was one of the first model rocket kits to incorporate the “Quick-Change” engine mount that became a standard in model rocketry. Designed to be an excellent beginner’s kit, the Astro-1 became the first rocket for thousands of new model rocketeers. The “rake-back” fins were so different that many were built incorrectly with the fins glued on
to resemble the Estes Alpha. The Astro-1 was Centuri #KB-17 and was introduced with a price of $1.75.

The Astro-Jr is designed to use 13mm mini-engines for smaller fields. Altitudes from 200 to 500 feet are possible. The Astro-Jr uses precision laser-cut fins, smooth body tube, and a sanded balsa nose cone to maintain the original look and feel in a slightly smaller package. A 12” multi-colored parachute is included for safe recovery. (Instruction Blurb)

Advertising Liveries

semroc-astro%20jr%20ka4-2007%20web.jpg
2007 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

semroc-astro%20jr%20ka4-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

semroc-astro%20jr%20ka4-instr%201.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Chris Michielssen Mini Astro 1 Basic Information.

chris%20michelssen%20logo.gif
Chris Michielssen

MODEL NAME: Mini Astro 1 Also known as: Centuri Astro 1

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer: Chris Michielssen

Type: Sport, Downscale
Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Recovery: Streamer
Length: 8.5"
Diameter: 0.543"
Span:
Weight: 0.25 oz

Mfg. Description: The Centuri ASTRO 1 is BT-5 based and stands 8 1/2" tall.

It'll scream to narly 500' on a 1/2 A3-4t with streamer recovery. You'll just need a nose cone with a little nose weight. (2013 Chris Michielssen Blog Post)

Advertising Liveries

chris%20michielssen-mini%20astro%201-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

chris%20michielssen-mini%20astro%201-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

chris%20michielssen-mini%20astro%201-instr%201.jpg

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Here is my Semroc Astro 1 and a 2 X upscale.

Astro 1, big and little by stefan_e_jones, on Flickr

The upscale has surface mounted (I'd change that if I made another) 3/16" hard balsa fins; it uses the 2" Centuri tube and a whopping big balsa cone from Semroc. Other than the rounded tip, it is pretty much the same proportional size and shape as the original ST-10 cone. The parachute was 21" nylon octogon made from a toy umbrella.

I flew the big guy twice on a D12-3 last weekend. It flew really nicely!

Last edited:
I still have an original Century Astro 1 that I still fly.

Back