Lil Crayon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found that a 54mm tube will fit inside the plastic Crayon.

Just warm the crayon up really warm so it is nice and soft, then freeze the 54mm tube.. now slide it in in one fast shot.

Works pretty decent!

You are giving me bad ideas... Wonder what the chances would by of the nose surviving or every getting any part of it back on an K motor...

A little late but here are a few of my lil'Crayon pics. FIrst off, let me mention that I am not completely thrilled with smartphone cameras, on which these were taken. Guess I am spoiled on my Nikon.

This was my first Crayon build, so I picked the least favorite color to experiment on.

IMAG0067Crayon.jpg

Here is the nose cone separated from the body. I freehand cut the fore section free and inserted a bit of BT-70 glued onto a BT-70 coupler.

IMAG0051Crayon.jpg

Construction consists of a BT-70 shoved as far into the body as possible, cut to length then removed. A bit of 24mm motor mount is dressed in a couple of Centering rings and glued inside the BT-70 and the whole mess shoved back into the crayon.

IMAG0052Crayon.jpg

(That is my knee and Chandler's paw intruding into the pic)

The BT-70 extends to about the point of the nose cone.

IMAG0057Crayon.jpg

Here is the aft end showing the motor mount extending from the BT.

IMAG0054Crayon.jpg

A close-up of the nose cone eyelet/nose ballast and fin slots.

IMAG0056crayon.jpg

And here is Chandler trying to entice me to play tug-tug.

IMAG0060_Chandler.jpg

Still haven't decided what style of fins to use, any suggestions?

Very nice... I need to order some tube (reinforcing body as well as 29 & 38mm motor mount for the 8 crayons that I have sitting in the garage. As for the fins, the style I used on mine gives it a perfectly straight flight. I used Balsa but 1/8 ply may be a better option with 29mm compared to the 24mm motor mount I used. So far the largest motor that mine has seen is an E20-7.

Thanks for starting this thread. It was nice to learn about the standard tubes that will fit in these. I bought a bunch from Dollar Tree a while back, but haven't had a chance to build one yet. I also have a 4" diameter one from Toys R Us. I have a Fliskits crayon on the way; looking forward to building it. It should be here tomorrow.

I know it would be way out of scale, and the smaller crayon would have to be shortened, but has anyone considered making a crayon Orbital Transport? The Dollar Tree bank being the glider, and the 4" bank as the rocket. That would be pretty cool.

I know it would be way out of scale, and the smaller crayon would have to be shortened, but has anyone considered making a crayon Orbital Transport? The Dollar Tree bank being the glider, and the 4" bank as the rocket. That would be pretty cool.

Kind of funny that you mention this as I have been considering something similar. Not so much a glider but using two of these plastic banks on each side of the 4" bank kind of like boosters.

Nice, although the larger crayons that I have on hand are a good bit longer than that (around 36" or so).

What may be really interesting would be one of these (52"), 2 of the 36" Toy's r Us banks as boosters, and one of these plastic ones as a glider.

Nice, although the larger crayons that I have on hand are a good bit longer than that (around 36" or so).

What may be really interesting would be one of these (52"), 2 of the 36" Toy's r Us banks as boosters, and one of these plastic ones as a glider.

Is that an insinuation?
Are you trying to say my crayon is short?
;)

Yeah, I have a few 36" crayons as well, but this nubby fellow is already partially converted to fly.

The 52" models are $40 each??
Woof!

But I like the idea of the 25" as a glider......
If I could just find them in stock somewhere!!!
Everyone seems to be out; Dollartree, wholesalers, novelty stores.

:mad:

I bet if you were to convince yourself that you're not looking for these, they would start showing up everywhere :)

I bet if you were to convince yourself that you're not looking for these, they would start showing up everywhere :)

OK...
"Do not desire the crayons"

:mad:

How many do you want/need? I may be able to pull a couple together for you for the cost of shipping.

How many do you want/need? I may be able to pull a couple together for you for the cost of shipping.

How many do I need?
How's about none....
I dropped into the Dollar Tree by the Reality Office (More good news on that later) and look what I found.

SCORE!!!!

Oh my precious...
So many lovely things we will build.

IMAG0138crayonsTN.jpg

Very nice, I just picked up 3 the other day and was going to shoot you a PM but it looks like you are doing just fine :D

It looks like you are finding the same colors that I have been. If anyone finds purple (or any color other than red, yellow, green, or blue) pick up one or two of each and I will pay the $1/ea plus shipping.

I really need to get started building on some of these. I think that the next one I do will have larger fins from 1/8" ply and perhaps some plywood centering rings. This 24mm 6 grain case is just screaming to be shoved into a crayon. Also need to get around to trying to design some wings and tail onto one of these so that it will glide as an orbiter.

Last edited:
I am going with a center tube with centering rings. I am going to run the center tube all the way through and just have a small bit of the tip of the crayon for the nose cone. Everything will be packed into the 24 mm tube. The first forward ring will rest at the beginning of the taper of the crayon tip. Then a ring every couple inches down to the fins.

The last ring will be doubled up and have one ring large enough to rest against the shoulder at the bottom of the crayon.

Need to come up with a plan for launch lugs before I get the tube slid into the crayon. Maybe small block of wood on a couple centering rings to screw into from the outside?

Recovery anchor will be a tube coupler slid in from the motor end. I had to extend the 24mm tube and have one coupler about four inches in from tip of nose. The anchor cord will most likely be kevlar, just got to get to the hobby shop to get some.

I am sure they will have the rest of the gear I might need. This crayon will come out pretty light. just a length of 24mm tube and regular cardboard box centering rings. Just like the set up at the start of the thread.

Gotta cut the fin slots and fins and build the recovery gear. Keeping this first one simple and cheap. If it survives it's maiden flight, then can try different a different build on the next one.

For motors, I am thinking single use AT's will be the easiest to do and no risk of loosing a case.

See ya,
Rod

Gents,

Fellow rocketeer(RocketGuy101) pointed this thread out...crazy coincidence as I've just built and successfully launched one of these. I've called it the Crayola-inator! This was my first scratch build rocket! This was kind of a challenge with our local club as we each left with one and was instructed to "Make it Fly"! It's crude in spots (launch lug, etc.) but was a blast to build! I did acrylic fins thru the tube and 24mm MM. First launch was D12-5, 2nd launch was E9-6. Nice recovery on a 24" ported chute!

Thanks to to RocketGuy101 for the fabulous photos of the launch!
photostream

photostream

photostream

Thanks!

DSC_4152MR.jpg

DSC_4153MR.jpg

rockets 015.jpg

Need to come up with a plan for launch lugs before I get the tube slid into the crayon. Maybe small block of wood on a couple centering rings to screw into from the outside?

Launch lug or rail button? Not sure what you are talking about screwing into if using lugs. I built mine with a 3/16 lug. Due to the "transitions" I used a very small shim of (1/8" i think) balsa as a standoff. I used 5-min epoxy to secure the lug to the balsa and balsa to the plastic air frame. No issues at all with it.

Recovery anchor will be a tube coupler slid in from the motor end. I had to extend the 24mm tube and have one coupler about four inches in from tip of nose. The anchor cord will most likely be kevlar, just got to get to the hobby shop to get some.

As you can see from the pics of mine, I simply tied some cord around the motor tube, glued in place, and it is behind a centering ring or two. No issues at all (nor the need for kevlar since it is so far up the tube).

For motors, I am thinking single use AT's will be the easiest to do and no risk of loosing a case.

Mine flies great on an Estes E 9-4 and has also been up on an AT E 20-7. It hasn't flown with an altimeter but the flight is more stable and actually appears higher for some reason on the E 9-4 compared to the E 20-7.

crazy coincidence as I've just built and successfully launched one of these. I've called it the Crayola-inator! This was my first scratch build rocket!

Very nice build. I like the swept back fins. I may have to try a similar fin design on one of the 10 that I still have waiting for me to do something with them.

Thanks for the comments! I was shooting for "basic" and they ended up being a nice triangle! I had a lot of fun with this...I'd be in trouble if I had 10 more with that much potential!

Since this has become some what what of a defacto dollar-store crayon thread, I figured that I would add these here...

Launch on an Estes E9-4 (perfect flight)

_MG_4337.JPG
_MG_4339.JPG

_MG_4342.JPG
_MG_4346.JPG

_MG_4349.JPG

Launch on AT E20-7 SU (not so perfect flight)

_MG_4504.JPG

_MG_4514.JPG

Lessons learned from the E20-7 flight... No nearly as stable or high as the E9-4 flight. Although the CG appeared fine based on a finger balance test and there wasn't much weight difference between the two motors, the need for weight in the nose will need to be reevaluated. Also, a better form of motor retention is needed for the AT SU motors as you can see from the last pic. Finally, another reason I don't like plastic chutes can be seen as the chute never inflated in the cold.

Last edited:
All this talk about crayons finally made me look up my nearest dollar tree. Sure enough. lots of red yellow and green. Ok I'm in. :)

-Z

Thanks to to RocketGuy101 for the fabulous photos of the launch!

You are welcome, it was a couple cool flights!

Since this has become some what what of a defacto dollar-store crayon thread, I figured that I would add these here...

Launch on an Estes E9-4 (perfect flight)

Finally, another reason I don't like plastic chutes can be seen as the chute never inflated in the cold.

That one shot on the ground makes me want to yell "GOOOOOOAAALLLL!!!"

Talcum powder helps with cold stiff plastic chutes.

Here is mine, putting finishing touches on it. I decided to go with clear lexan fins (leftover material from a Gemini Titan)...I used a combination of Gorilla glue on the paper tube (went through wall to 24mm, so I just squirted the GG into the slot). Then I applied some of this "universal" glue on the fin and then pressed it into place.

When dry the fins are really sturdy! A friend at work told me about this glue (available from a plumbing supply house)--that can is $5 compared to a tube of Weld-On #16, which I have to mail order. I tested a lexan fin glued directly to a paper tube (a plain paper towel type) and the paper tore when I pulled the fin off.

DSC_4230MR.jpg

DSC_4227MR.jpg

Back