Art Applewhite Priority Stealth

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasonH

Reaction score
So i just built one of Art's priority stealths...and i must say, this thing looks pretty good. Its got light epoxy fillets where the base meets the shroud, and wood glue fillets where the motor mount meets the base on both sides. Its even got a 1/4" launch lug...

the question is, what kind of abuse can this thing take? i mean, its only cardboard...

I just used Elmer's Glue-All when I built mine. I also gave it three good coats of clear spray. Four years later, it's still going strong.

It goes absolutely straight and wicked high on a G40! (Try it!) Just be sure to put a good thrust ring on the motor. It doesn't need any motor retention because nothing is going to cause it to pop out of the mount.

Keep it out of ponds and puddles and it will last indefinitely.

Last edited:
Art flies with my club. He often brings a priority stealth. He also used them for demos at schools. They last as long as you use common sense. Try not to let your cattle step all over it and avoid dunking it. Even if you ruin it, grab another free box at the post office and crank one out. Art does it in no time but has lots of practice.

You may even go for some variety and use a Pizza Express box. 30 minutes or free.

the question is, what kind of abuse can this thing take? i mean, its only cardboard...
I built mine from foam core and have flown it on many sorts of Gs. I don't think a small H would faze it.

I have seen Art fly it on an H. Now that is a show. Caused my wife to say "WOW"!

Andrew

Im contemplating putting it up on an H54 and using that for my cert...:rolleyes:

Not with NAR you won't. I think TRA also doesn't allow this but I'm not sure.
I am aware of the active recovery issue. Art suggests to use a hose clamp or tape to hold a short piece of tubing in place, in which there is a streamer of parachute. When a (small) ejection charge goes off, it pushes out the recovery system...

I am aware of the active recovery issue. Art suggests to use a hose clamp or tape to hold a short piece of tubing in place, in which there is a streamer of parachute. When a (small) ejection charge goes off, it pushes out the recovery system...

That works and is legal but much will depend upon the person doing the certification.

Some have a bias against anything that does not look like "a rocket".

If the purpose of the certification is to demonstrate being able to handle the motor, the issue about recovery is irrelevant especially when a CTI load is used.

If the purpose is to demonstrate recovery then why is a cert needed for non parachute rockets?

If the purpose is to demonstrate building skills, then what is shown by a simple oddroc that survives vs. a more complex rocket that breaks?

Both NAR and TRA seem to actively dislike oddrocs when it comes to certification. The rationales given seem contradictory and boil down to "lets keep the club exclusive."

That works and is legal but much will depend upon the person doing the certification.

Some have a bias against anything that does not look like "a rocket".
The guys up here seem to care less, because they fly Art's rocket all the time, so i think it wouldnt be any problem...and even if it is, im still working on my LOC Fantom, and i can cert on that...either way, ill cert sooner or later.

There are a few stealth 54's up here in MD, I love to watch em fly on sparkies. :headbang:

There are a few stealth 54's up here in MD, I love to watch em fly on sparkies. :headbang:
Weve got a lot of 38 stealths, and we ONLY fly them on sparkies...and we drag race them too. loud and proud! :headbang: :headbang:

Flying high power odd-rocs is one thing; I don't know of anyone who has a problem with it. Certifying for high power on an odd-roc is quite a different matter. Building and successfully launching a high power rocket that deploys and recovers using an active recovery device is a more rigorous test of one's skills for the purpose of certification than relying on passive recovery techniques during the flight. The ban on passive recovery techniques only applies to the certification flight itself. Hey, it's only one flight. After you receive your certification, go ahead and fly high power odd-rocs to your heart's content.

I view the certification flight as an exam, a test of your knowledge and skills. Certification isn't something that you simply acquire by default, something that you get by simply showing up. You have to actually demonstrate that you possess certain specific knowledge and a certain specific set of skills in order to earn it. You can't just go in and say that you know it; you have to actually demonstrate it with a real flight. It's akin to taking the road test when you apply for a driver's license. You will have to demonstrate that you know how to execute a parallel park, even if you live in a rural area and will rarely if ever actually park parallel to the curb in between two cars ever again following the test. Driving road tests include a parallel parking task because it is a good test of the person's ability to handle the car and to judge distances. Think of the active recovery requirement in high power certification in similar terms.

Flying high power odd-rocs is one thing; I don't know of anyone who has a problem with it. Certifying for high power on an odd-roc is quite a different matter. Building and successfully launching a high power rocket that deploys and recovers using an active recovery device is a more rigorous test of one's skills for the purpose of certification than relying on passive recovery techniques during the flight. The ban on passive recovery techniques only applies to the certification flight itself. Hey, it's only one flight. After you receive your certification, go ahead and fly high power odd-rocs to your heart's content.

I view the certification flight as an exam, a test of your knowledge and skills. Certification isn't something that you simply acquire by default, something that you get by simply showing up. You have to actually demonstrate that you possess certain specific knowledge and a certain specific set of skills in order to earn it. You can't just go in and say that you know it; you have to actually demonstrate it with a real flight. It's akin to taking the road test when you apply for a driver's license. You will have to demonstrate that you know how to execute a parallel park, even if you live in a rural area and will rarely if ever actually park parallel to the curb in between two cars ever again following the test. Driving road tests include a parallel parking task because it is a good test of the person's ability to handle the car and to judge distances. Think of the active recovery requirement in high power certification in similar terms.

I took my drivers exam in Lafayette Louisiana at the age of fifteen. The examiner didn't even get in the car with me. He told me to take right out of the parking lot, take a right at the first stop sign, take a right at the next stop sign, take a right at the next stop sign, take a right at the next stop sign then pull back into the parking lot. I did as he said and drove around the block. When I got back he was no where to be seen, I went into the DMV and he was waiting for me to take my picture for my license. :D

I understand what you are saying about certification. I don't necessarily think that odd rocs should be barred from certification by a blanket exclusion. Arts designs have been well proven with years of good flights and in many ways they are safer than 3fnc designs. I do agree that one should demonstrate the ability to recover safely using active recovery. A priority stealth with a full beard satisfies that requirement.

One possible issue with oddrocs is that usual methods to determine CP and stability don't apply. Art's designs are stable but if you use a larger motor than he recommends how do you know that? (Not that I've ever seen an unstable saucer.)

I don't think that having to pack a parachute critical to recovering your rocket is an unreasonable requirement for cert flights. If the hobby was bigger maybe we wouldn't need a "one size fits all" set of cert criteria.

I understand what you are saying about certification. I don't necessarily think that odd rocs should be barred from certification by a blanket exclusion.
Exactly, and they aren't.

Arts designs have been well proven with years of good flights and in many ways they are safer than 3fnc designs. I do agree that one should demonstrate the ability to recover safely using active recovery. A priority stealth with a full beard satisfies that requirement.
You are preaching to the choir here. I have been a big fan of Art's designs since I resumed flying rockets 7 years ago.

I happen to like seeing a high power rocket descending on a chute, but maybe that's just me.

Haha, You and me both! Especially when it's decending near me!
FUnny story about that...when i launched a monocopter on an E15 (and i still cant believe it didnt shred!)it got caught in some wind on the way down and ended up drifting towards a couple who had decided to picnic at the launch (which is a discussion all its own). It landed between them, with 6"to spare before it ended up hitting the mans wife. It also left a black spot on their blanket...but it was kinda cool and i feel bad about it...:(

I've flown my priority stealth on a couple dozen motors from F62 through G80 and it just keeps coming back for more. It doesn't even have a crimp in the corrugated cardboard yet. Be generous with the masking tape thrust ring and you'll be fine. By far the quickest turnaround rocket out there! Fly, short walk, reload, repeat.

-Ken

I've flown my priority stealth on a couple dozen motors from F62 through G80 and it just keeps coming back for more. It doesn't even have a crimp in the corrugated cardboard yet. Be generous with the masking tape thrust ring and you'll be fine. By far the quickest turnaround rocket out there! Fly, short walk, reload, repeat.

-Ken
Thats what iv come to find...i have only flown it once, but it was a short walk, no need to pack a recovery system, and all i needed was another motor...its simple, and thats why i love it so much!

well yesterday i bought a pro 29 starter set and a g57 to launch in the stealth...and it flew great!! i can imagine anything less on an h54! :D

Now you've done it. Ima have to build another one with the 29mm MMT. just this past weekend i had an E9 cato in my 24mm.... Funny thing was the motor shot up through the top. Its amazing how stable the motor with no fins flew. :jaw:

Now you've done it. Ima have to build another one with the 29mm MMT. just this past weekend i had an E9 cato in my 24mm.... Funny thing was the motor shot up through the top. Its amazing how stable the motor with no fins flew. :jaw:
Well it was my first CTI motor, first G motor, the highest total impulse, highest total thrust, first flight of the rocket, and first "classic" motor...and my most expensive motor... :D

It's a good feeling isn't it Mason? I can't wait to burn some more AP soon. For one reason or another I have missed that last two launches. Wait till you start messing around with the Vmax motors...my favorite!

Ahh young Mason...

As a flyer of all things stealth (one regular, one super, two priority, two 38 and one 54) I can understand your excitement. Let's drag the priority stealths next CATO.
I can tell you that making priority stealths are temporary at best if you wack them with the higher thrust G's because eventually you will put a motor thru it (ask me how I know). The H87 might work, but I'd run it in a spanky new stealth...just to be sure.

But you're soo close on the Fantom you will have that option, too - and METRA doesn't fly for a few more months.

It's good to have options, right?

I was thinking about a 29mm 3 grain H54, but it all depends on time. I also got a Darkstar 4 (not sure if its dual deploy, it hasn't arrived yet), so I have options...and I like options... As for the Stealth, I think it could handle an H54. It has less thrust than the G57, so there should be no problem at all. As for the Fantom, its going to fly, im just not sure when or on what.

OK, I'm confused now.
I just recently looked for plans for this Priority Stealth and only came up with either 54mm or 29mm designs, both from the creator.
I have a handful of 24mm booster Estes Motors boosters to burn off someway, and thought that this might be a cheap way to do it.
However dire warnings of underpower have made me think twice. But then elsewhere here, in this thread, they warn of OVERpower.

Is there an alternative way to adapt to a D12-0 as a 24mm motor? Or is that simply not allowed.
I need some guidance here, guys. I don't want to create a hazard, nor fuel a furious debate.

Is there an alternative way to adapt to a D12-0 as a 24mm motor? Or is that simply not allowed.
I need some guidance here, guys. I don't want to create a hazard, nor fuel a furious debate.

I have one that I fly on D12-0s. Built based on the 29mm plans I assume since that is the pdf file I find on my hard drive. I built it from balsa, adjusting dimensions for the motor mount, and gave it my version of a dazzle paint job.

I just used BT50 for the motor mount rather than making that triangular shaped bit.

Is there an alternative way to adapt to a D12-0 as a 24mm motor?
I've flown my 29mm Stealth on E12s with a motor adapter (piece of 24mm MMT wrapped with tape) and it's fine (nice way to test packages of E12s for CATOs). A D12 should also do fine.

Back