Dr. Zooch Rockets EFT-1 beta build...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Luke...I think I figured out what happened here...I had taken the day off to hang out with my son....throughout the course of the day I would shoot a coat of paint on the tubes, the nose cones etc....I had left the paint can out in the shed..I am wondering if the temp difference between the paint in the can, which had to be warm and the body tubes, which I had brought out from my air conditioned house is what caused the paint to crack...I have never had that happen before...I am going to let these dry and then sand them down and see how smooth I can get them...I am debating just cutting a section of paper and making a white body wrap for the bottom 3/4 of an inch on the core stage....

Yeah, big temp differences aren't really a good thing when it comes to painting... As a rule of thumb, it's always a good idea to : 1) have the paint can as warm as you can get it... (If it's cold, set it in a pan of very warm (not scalding hot) water for 20-30 minutes before painting to warm the paint liquid and propellant up in the can... this will raise the head pressure of the propellant in the can (finer atomization) and reduce the viscosity of the paint liquid itself (again, better atomization and flow-out on the surface), and 2) try to minimize the temperature difference between the surface your painting and the paint itself... If it's cold out, keep the can and parts in the house until you step into the cold shop area to paint... then bring it back inside to dry, if possible, or put it in a warmer environment (like an insulated box heated by a light bulb). In hot weather, taking stuff directly from the air conditioning out to paint isn't that good of an idea... better to set the parts out in the shop along with the paint for 30 minutes or so and allow everything to warm up well before shooting the paint, and leave the parts out there in the warm environment to dry.

You didn't mention what brand or type of paint you were using, or the humidity. Humidity can do some weird stuff. The other BIG problem nowdays is the paint formulation, which varies markedly from brand to brand. If in doubt, follow the can instructions on recoat timing EXPLICITLY. Some paints are EXTREMELY finicky and prone to doing nasty things halfway through the job (like Krylon) and some are virtually problem free (Wal Mart Colorplace). Others are somewhere in between, and the individual painter and his style or technique as well as his local environment DO play a big role in this as well... To me it sounds like you had an issue where a thicker top coat softened up the lower coats and caused it to crack or alligator.

If push comes to shove, you can wipe the tubes down with LACQUER thinner, which will alligator the remaining paint layers completely, and then just wipe the whole mess of the tubes with a paper towel and start over from scratch... lot easier than sanding everything down if the damage is widespread. If it's more "localized" in certain areas, then sanding it down and reshooting those spots is probably much easier and the way to go.

Good Luck! OL JR :)

Luke,
thanks for the info...it was really humid yesterday up here. I have been using the Rustoleum Ultra Cover 2x from Home Depot and for the most part, it has worked very well for me. I think you are right, I should have let the tube sit out for a 30 mins or so before shooting it. I didn't get the chance to do anything with it today...going to be a busy week up here so maybe this weekend I can try to get back to work on her. This EFT-1 is a pretty cool rocket .....I will fix this puppy up and roll those wraps on her!

Yeah, big temp differences aren't really a good thing when it comes to painting... As a rule of thumb, it's always a good idea to : 1) have the paint can as warm as you can get it... (If it's cold, set it in a pan of very warm (not scalding hot) water for 20-30 minutes before painting to warm the paint liquid and propellant up in the can... this will raise the head pressure of the propellant in the can (finer atomization) and reduce the viscosity of the paint liquid itself (again, better atomization and flow-out on the surface), and 2) try to minimize the temperature difference between the surface your painting and the paint itself... If it's cold out, keep the can and parts in the house until you step into the cold shop area to paint... then bring it back inside to dry, if possible, or put it in a warmer environment (like an insulated box heated by a light bulb). In hot weather, taking stuff directly from the air conditioning out to paint isn't that good of an idea... better to set the parts out in the shop along with the paint for 30 minutes or so and allow everything to warm up well before shooting the paint, and leave the parts out there in the warm environment to dry.

You didn't mention what brand or type of paint you were using, or the humidity. Humidity can do some weird stuff. The other BIG problem nowdays is the paint formulation, which varies markedly from brand to brand. If in doubt, follow the can instructions on recoat timing EXPLICITLY. Some paints are EXTREMELY finicky and prone to doing nasty things halfway through the job (like Krylon) and some are virtually problem free (Wal Mart Colorplace). Others are somewhere in between, and the individual painter and his style or technique as well as his local environment DO play a big role in this as well... To me it sounds like you had an issue where a thicker top coat softened up the lower coats and caused it to crack or alligator.

If push comes to shove, you can wipe the tubes down with LACQUER thinner, which will alligator the remaining paint layers completely, and then just wipe the whole mess of the tubes with a paper towel and start over from scratch... lot easier than sanding everything down if the damage is widespread. If it's more "localized" in certain areas, then sanding it down and reshooting those spots is probably much easier and the way to go.

Good Luck! OL JR :)

OK...I wanted to post some pictures of my EFT-1...this is a fun kit....I kinda took some artistic license with the Orion logo and the Nasa logo on the booster...not sure if that will be there on the real bird or not...but...it looks cool so I went with it!

100_2306a.jpg100_2308a.jpg100_2309a.jpg

couple of more pictures....Luke...thanks again for the the excellent build thread...you were correct, its a very straight forward build but I still managed to mess it up! I kinda messed up on the wraps and didn't make the access panels line up as well as I should have...the instructions were clear about it but I didn't get it lined up on the start line drawn on the tanks as well as I should have..but...I did manage to get less glue down on the wraps so they glued down without as much of the puckering that I have had so in a way, its a little improvement...still a neat kit. I can't wait to fly her! Thanks Wes for the great kit!

100_2314a.jpg100_2307a.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the detailed walk-through of another fun kit to build from Dr. Zooch. I feel like I am following in your footsteps. Just finished painting, I have some decals left over from the sheet I printed up for my SLS that I plan to put on here. I kind of like the darker contrast of the gray on the dowels for the struts and feedline rather than white. To give the LAS/escape tower nozzles a little more detail I painted the tips black with a fine tip paint pen. Underneath where I mounted the nozzles for the escape tower I wrapped a thin paper strip around it to serve as an alignment guide.

DSC_6090.jpgDSC_6091.jpgDSC_6092.jpgDSC_6093.jpgDSC_6094.jpg

going to be grounded during the rainy season for a while, so now I need to get another kit to build, or start repairs on some old rockets lying around. I was thinking about painting the body tube section below the boat tails either red or gray to give some more contrast between the flame fins and the rocket, to simulate the nozzles.

[bad pun]

Also, to make the flame fins even more realistic I was thinking of decorating them with Cubic Zirconium,

you know what's coming...

wait for it...

say it with me now everyone....

"Mock Diamonds"

[/bad pun]

Glenn....she looks awesome!! great job!

Thanks for the detailed walk-through of another fun kit to build from Dr. Zooch. I feel like I am following in your footsteps. Just finished painting, I have some decals left over from the sheet I printed up for my SLS that I plan to put on here. I kind of like the darker contrast of the gray on the dowels for the struts and feedline rather than white. To give the LAS/escape tower nozzles a little more detail I painted the tips black with a fine tip paint pen. Underneath where I mounted the nozzles for the escape tower I wrapped a thin paper strip around it to serve as an alignment guide.

View attachment 245172View attachment 245173View attachment 245174View attachment 245175View attachment 245176

Back