'Chute Attachment Methods?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Socknic

Reaction score
While buying wadding, I decided to buy a 22" nylon 'chute for my Executioner. After finishing the last of the painting, two hours go by and I decide to install the parachute. I almost immediately realize that there is almost no space to slip the loop into on the nose cone. Any alternative methods of installing the 'chute? Thanks

-Socknic

Offhand I would suggest that you tie a loop in the shock cord a few inches from the nose cone, and attach the chute there.

Another option would be to attach a small eyebolt to the nose cone.

I'm not sure how much I trust the small loop molded into the nosecones. I'm finishing my Executioner right now. I think my first step will be to put a loop in the shock cord. I am considering putting an eyebolt in the nose cone though. I'm thinking about cutting a small access hole in the side of the nose cone and putting a nut and washer in there then screw in the eyebolt and pour epoxy into the hole.

for mine I tied a loop in the shock cord 8-12" from the nose cone. the dingus on the nose seems to suffice to attach the nose to the shock cord, but I don't trust it for the chute.

You should also tie a quick link into shock cord down 8-12" from nose cone and attach chute to quick link. I have seen where chute shroud lines will slid on shock cord and melt chute shroud lines
GP
TFRLLC

I use a fishing knot called the dropper loop to tie an attachment point about one third of the way from the forward section or NC which has worked well for rockets I've flown up to K impulse and 10 pounds. There is a good web site called Animated Knots that shows how to tie it. Be aware, however, that any knot in a line or harness weakens the line at that point, how much depends on the type of knot, how well it's tied and the line that it's tied in. I use equipment parachute harness nylon primarily. . . there are some discussions here about flat nylon knotting as well if you search.

-rebar

If you have a loop in the end of the parachute shrouds, just fold up the chute, fold a loop in the shock cord about 12" from the nosecone, push the looped shock cord through the loop on the chute and pull it over the chute. Then you pull the shock cord tight, it will stay in place without needing to add the weight of metal quick links. You can also easily remove the parachute and use it on another rocket.

I agree with Handeman
The added weight of a eyebolt and quick link will
effect flights if you plan on flying BP motors (D-12s/ E-9s).
Mine only flies to about 800 feet on a D-12 5 built stock.new builds 001.jpg

If you have a loop in the end of the parachute shrouds, just fold up the chute, fold a loop in the shock cord about 12" from the nosecone, push the looped shock cord through the loop on the chute and pull it over the chute. Then you pull the shock cord tight, it will stay in place without needing to add the weight of metal quick links. You can also easily remove the parachute and use it on another rocket.

I just finished a Big Daddy and an Executioner- I built both with kevlar harnesses attached to the motor mount tubes. I also made a kevlar shock cord about 9' long, with a loop at each end, and I have a loop in the chute shroud lines. I can move any or all of it from one rocket to another.

The Executioner is a pretty big rocket, but very light. The talk about quick links and so forth is more valid for highpower rockets.

I just finished a Big Daddy and an Executioner- I built both with kevlar harnesses attached to the motor mount tubes. I also made a kevlar shock cord about 9' long, with a loop at each end, and I have a loop in the chute shroud lines. I can move any or all of it from one rocket to another.

The Executioner is a pretty big rocket, but very light. The talk about quick links and so forth is more valid for highpower rockets.

Actually, I would consider the subject of quick links much more relevant to small light rockets then large high power rockets when it comes to the weight. On a large HPR, the quick link might be 0.2% of the weight of the rocket, on a small light rocket, it might be 5.0% of the weight. If the link is 1 oz, it makes a lot more of a difference in a 18 - 20 oz rocket then a 18 - 20 lb rocket.

Actually, I would consider the subject of quick links much more relevant to small light rockets then large high power rockets when it comes to the weight. On a large HPR, the quick link might be 0.2% of the weight of the rocket, on a small light rocket, it might be 5.0% of the weight. If the link is 1 oz, it makes a lot more of a difference in a 18 - 20 oz rocket then a 18 - 20 lb rocket.

That's what I meant. IOW the use of quick links would be more appropriate in HPR than in light rockets. I weighed some of my rockets today- the lightest that I weighed was the Estes Firebird at 2.1oz. My newly-finished Big Daddy was 7.3oz.

I tied a piece of string to the nose cone, attaching the 'chute to the string loop. I flew it yesterday, it seemed to work fine.

Back