Goony Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAL3

Reaction score
I got the message that a Goony gallery is desired and that I should set one up.

Here it is. There are no pics because I have not built any.

Have at it but remember, anybody can set up a gallery. Just push the "New Thread" button and post away.

I know that recently DavidQ posted some pics in the MMX Gallery which also included goony versions. Does it require a moderator to copy pics from one gallery to another, or is that something anybody can do?

You're right. He did and it does take mod permissions to copy posts. And I seem to remember he gave me permission to copy at will so I'll run and grab a few to get things started.

NOTE: The posts above by DavidQ have all been copied here with permission

Last edited:
My MMax Freedom Forge cardmodel, downscaled from the Flis Freedom Forge.

The middle one is my goony version, styled as a Freedom Fish.

Not yet launched, as the weather still sucks. The nose for the MMax rocket is one that I cast.

Attachments

• IMG_0210.jpg
    IMG_0210.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0211.jpg
    IMG_0211.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 111
This is my cardmodel downscale of the NewWay 2x4. It's all paper, since I didn't need a round, ogive, elliptical, conical, or otherwise non-planar nose cone.

I scanned a piece of balsa, touched it up a bit with photoshop, and used that as the grain for the MMax cardmodel 2x4.

The mid-sized rocket is my goony 2x4, stylized to be a fighter aircraft.

The MMax rocket is still not launched until the weather gets better.

Attachments

• IMG_0196.jpg
    IMG_0196.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 97
This is my Fliskits Ulysses, posing with it's mutant sibling, a goony Ulysses. The goony is the larger one.

The Ulysses is NOT a cardmodel - it's a real model - so I didn't make a MMax cardmodel of it since that would just be copying.

I'll be able to say how it flies once the rain stops.

Attachments

• IMG_0157.jpg
    IMG_0157.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 104
This is my Big Honkin Rocket from Fliskits, which of course flies on MMax engines. The little rocket, that is. The big rocket is a goony of the BHR, scaled directly up. So, it's called Tiny.

Attachments

• IMG_0231.jpg
    IMG_0231.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0232.jpg
    IMG_0232.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 94
Of course, the Fliskits Diminutive Deuce is small, and it is already an MMax rocket. It lets you use two at a time!

But, as I've indicated, I make card models and goonies of my kits (unless it wouldn't make sense). The family photo has the big goony, the papa dressed in prototype black as is presented on the Fliskits site, and the tiny blue and yellow rocket is a minimum diameter MMax cardmodel.

The up close photo is of just the two MMax rockets, the real kit with two MMax engines, and the cardmodel with just one MMax engine.

Attachments

• IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 104
Yet another TOG from Fliskits. But, with a goony TOG as well.

I picked colors pretty close to the ones on the brochure and the Fliskits website. I also took inspiration from EchoVictor's paint scheme for his US TOG, here.

When I get the US TOG, the goony will get to serve double duty.

Apparently, the TOG likes to caste a Moire pattern glow when it is photographed. Cool.

Attachments

• IMG_0222.jpg
    IMG_0222.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0223.jpg
    IMG_0223.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 102
The only Goony I have is one I made from an original design I made called Fiddle Faddle. The orange model is the obvious Goony. The latter is the original.

Attachments

• DSCF1708.JPG
    DSCF1708.JPG
    59.9 KB · Views: 100
  • rocket FF.jpg
    rocket FF.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 94
JAL3 said:
And I seem to remember he gave me permission to copy at will
Yes I did. I've got more goonies that I'll post later - they didn't have corresponding MicroMaxx versions, so I didn't post them in that thread.

Yay! A new home for photos.

MikeyD said:
I have a couple
I've seen those photos, and they were very influential in my decision to make a goony version of the models I build.

Last year, in one of the rocket classes I teach, I had them build goony-style rockets for their take-home rockets. I'm now a big fan. So, I must say thanks to those that have made goonies and had shown me the light.

Gary said:
The only Goony I have is one I made from an original design I made called Fiddle Faddle.
That is a really cool looking model. The orange and black just makes it pop.

I've got more goonies that I'll post later - they didn't have corresponding MicroMaxx versions, so I didn't post them in that thread.

Yay! A new home for photos.

Something to remember about the galleries is that people are always free to create new ones.

For the production and plan archetypes, I try to keep things pretty well organized. For the others, its more of a free for all. At worst, if some just does not seem to fit in the galleries by any stretch of the imagination, I might move the thread to a different section.

I have one thread that should probably be moved but I just don't know what to do with it. Its not causing any harm and probably doing some good so I just let it slide.

I was inspired by ECayemberg's alpha collection, over on YORP, so I cloned the alpha's too. Clone, goony, and card model.

These are the old Alpha design, the new Alpha design, Alpha 2, Alpha3, and Alpha 4.

The new alpha design has an extra alpha meant to illustrate how not to build one - fins are wrong, decal is wrong, and second coat of paint was shot at the wrong time causing wrinkles.

IMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0159.jpg

IMG_0170.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0140.jpg

Now for the rest of the story of the Alpha clones, goonies, and cardmodels:
Super alpha (freaky BT-50 size), Super alpha (that we all know and love), Maxi Alpha, and Maxi Alpha 3.

The Maxi Alpha and Maxi Alpha 3 goonies are actually Maxi Goonies, being based on a BT80 tube and 80BB nose.

Don't look too close, but I screwed up the paint job on the Maxi Alpha 3 lower tube and painted it red. It wasn't until I was applying decals that I finally realized it should have been white. And, just for kicks, I made a Maxi Alpha 3 as a Skeletal Maxi Alpha 3, with no BT80 tube, but with a BT50 tube extending the full length.

IMG_0155.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

Mine are all steroid cases. (BT-80 upscales.)

Super Star Snoop
013.jpg

Gargantuan Galaxy Guppy
016.jpg

Zoomer Broomer
017.jpg

Mega Missile Toe
012.jpg

Haerus Humongous
014.jpg

Super Sky Shriek
015.jpg

These were posted here a few years back when there was actually a Goony forum. I've added a couple since these, but I've fallen behind in my photography.

Mine are all steroid cases. (BT-80 upscales.)

Super Star Snoop
013.jpg

Gargantuan Galaxy Guppy
016.jpg

Zoomer Broomer
017.jpg

Mega Missile Toe
012.jpg

Haerus Humongous
014.jpg

Super Sky Shriek
015.jpg

These were posted here a few years back when there was actually a Goony forum. I've added a couple since these, but I've fallen behind in my photography.

I was going to swear that we still had a goony section and went to copy the url...and it wasn't there.

Oops.

As most anyone that loves goonies has done, here's my rendition of the complete reproduction set of gooneybirds. They are the start of this irregular behavior.

Edit: Fishhead was quicker on the draw than I!

IMG_0234.jpg

The four on the left (my left) are prototypes of the rockets we built in the class I taught this year. I cast about 30 nose cones of several different colors, cut 30 BT60 body tubes 6" long, made fin sets of several designs, painted them with rattlecan, and made parts for the motor mounts. Each kit had differnet colors, different fins patterns, and different decals, or actually, stickers from various sticker sets I've gathered from dollar stores.

The one of the right (your right) is a payload goony that I considered for the class, but decided it was a bit too much for first time builders.

The class was great, and these rockets were better than the BT20 sized, the BT50 and BT55 sizes I've used in the past. They could fit their hand in better to mount the parachutes (over 40 cut from a sheet of space blanket mylar in only six cuts). We launched about 25 rockets on 13mm A10-3Ts in about an hour and a half.

The other picture is of all the rockets that the class built.

IMG_0237.jpg

IMG_2767.jpg

Last edited:
Just as an experiment, I made a Goony-style Saturn V and a similar Saturn 1b.

The V has a stage 1 of a 6" BT-60 (like I do with about all of my goonies), and the transition is one I fabricated from an 60MS shape, modified to transition to a BT50. The next transition is made from a 50L nose shape, modified to transition to a BT5. Finally, the apollo module is a 5V nose, as is on a mosquito. No escape tower, as goonynauts are fearless and nonflammable. I inserted the 18mm motor mount a bit into the body by about 1/2", so that it would 1) not interfere with standing by having an engine clip extend too far, and 2) move the center of mass a bit forward.

The 1b has its upper section made the same as the upper section as the V, since that is how Werner von Goony designed the rockets. The tubes for the lower section are hand rolled, since that's how Bob Marleygoony wanted it. It launches on 13mm motors. The fins were designed to not interfer with the motor mount clip.

They are models of the rockets used in the program to land on the Goon in July, 1969.

IMG_0238.jpg

Last edited:
I found this website that says the Goon landings were a hoax. And I totally believe it, 'cuz everything on the internet must be true, right? :confused:

LW Bercini said:
Unfortunately, 72% of the statistics you read on the Internet are made-up.
I think that is attributed to Abraham Lincoln.

I only have one goony model the Micro Missile toe.. cause I like goofy things, but was never that drawn to the Goony craze.

Just flew it again last weekend...it is a trip to see such a strange looking thing in the air;)

MM 298a-sm_Micro Missile Toe_11-06-04.jpg

MM 298Lp04a_Micro Missile Toe reweighted & ready_11-19-11.jpg

My goony of the Quest Tomahawk, along with my version of the real thing.

When I was making the goony, I noticed that it kinda looked like the Wasserfall. So, it occurred to me that it should be styled in a Germanic rendition of the Tomahawk. It's got Third Reich styling, like the Wasserfall cruise missile would have, but with the alternate timeline of being allies with the USA.

It's called a Kriegsbiel, close to German for War Hatchet, i.e. a Germanic Tomahawk. The red and black are all decal material that I printed, so I didn't have to try and match red painted fins to decal printed details.

Look carefully, and you'll see its a Quest-style goony, using a 6" length of Quest 40mm tube instead of BT60, and using the Quest nose, instead of a 60MS.

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0296.jpg

IMG_0297.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 74
My goony of a 36 D Squared, but built to use C engines instead of D engines. Its got my requisite 6" of BT60, some BT70, and the 60MS nose.

The decals are press-apply label paper. I went with cobalt blue to match the 36 D Squared I made years ago, and had painted with the same paint I had on the Gemini DC.

IMG_0301.jpg

IMG_0302.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 72
Back