Suggestions for Rocket Video Camera

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrittb00

Reaction score
This has probably been asked before, but I searched and could not find anything. I would like to be able to attach a small video camera to my rockets (downward facing is preferable) to take some videos. Does anyone have any suggestions. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money, less than $100, but even cheaper would be better. I don't need professional quality videos, but don't want crappy stuff either.

Thanks,

If you've got the cash, you can get a pre-tested key fob camera with a good memory chip from BayouRat Rocketry. The owner, BayouRat, posts here pretty regularly. I've been very happy with the one I bought from him. Note that they sell out very quickly when he gets them in stock.

Bayou Rat Rocketry

Personally, I haven't had much luck with the cheap little cameras. I've bought six or seven of them. The one I got from BayouRat Rocketry is the only one that really works.

If you're willing to go up to $100, you can get a nicer camera than the key fob or "gum stick" ones.

The Boostervision GearCam DVR-II, for example, is just a little more than $100. It works well and is almost as small as the cheaper cameras. It takes better video and doesn't put a timestamp on the video. If you search for "helmet camera" or whatever, you'll find that there are a variety of cameras made for recording action videos that will work well on rockets. Check the reviews though, to avoid problems with the cheap imports.

What I do is to check out the close-out aisles at stores like BestBuy or WalMart for returned, open box, or discountinued cameras. I've bought a few cameras for under $100 just for use in rockets.

I like the AIPTek-style memory card cameras. They are too big for model rockets, but fit in mid-power and high-power rockets. They take much better video than the little pinhole cameras, have controls that are easier to operate, and have an LCD screen for reviewing the settings and video. The newer ones have rechargeable batteries and record for at least 40 minutes on a charge.

The box-shape with the lens on one corner makes them easy to mount in a rocket. I just make a box in the body tube that the camera slips into. (See: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=10846&page=2). This allows me to turn on the camera and put it in the rocket when the rocket is on the launch pad, ready to go.

-- Roger

I have to agree with Roger... you get what you pay for. I think they even have one out the eliminates all the wind noise/static

I agree with most you get what you pay for.Ordered a keychain camera for my Barracuda and scratch build,16.00 in case I lose it or it falls off no biggy:D

I have a rocket camera as well.

I'm not so sure about this. I bought this camera, and taped it to the side of my rocket. The rocket ended up doing flips in the air and crashed to the ground. Watching the video caused me to puke. @jessica- can you advise what I did wrong?

Thanks!

DJS is not a spammer so I will assume that Jessica's post has been removed. Walmart online has several types of small cameras...like the look of the USB camera.
Rex

What I'd like to find is a camera that's somewhere between the 10$ U8 or 808 cheapo cameras and the 80$ mobius/good 808 camera. Like a 30$ "reasonably decent" camera.

Yes, it was Jessica and the post in question was removed.

DJS is not a spammer so I will assume that Jessica's post has been removed. Walmart online has several types of small cameras...like the look of the USB camera.
Rex

I have to recommend you don't buy the cheap $20 or less 808 cameras, they are knockoffs of the original 808 #16 which is about $50. The knockoff 808s tend to come not properly focused, and have no setup utility to configure the camera. Also I have heard reports of them failing within weeks, often the battery stops holding a charge or they just stop recording.

I sell the genuine 808 with wide angle lens and a 8GB SD card for $56.75 on my site. I also sell a shroud system to install the camera so you don't have to tape it or use a bulky exterior mount. My shrouds are also extremely durable and will survive most non-nominal flight events.

Back