Which adhesive for Estes Saturn V wraps?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falcon195

Reaction score
Which adhesive are you guys using to permanently attach the plastic corrugation wraps on the 1/100 Estes Saturn V ?
Thanks

I used 5 min. epoxy... on wraps and fins and fin fairings. it worked really well.

DO NOT use Testors plastic glue!

For the wraps,I used superthin CA with the tube applicator and let capilliary action do its thing between the wrap edges and the body tube.I used a piece of paper towel to wipe off the excess glue...BUT BE WARNED.....if too much CA is applied ,it may/can/will attack the thin styrene and cause it to crack ,although it`s an easy fix.I got this technique from Apogee when I built their large scale Saturn V and it worked well for me.

Some people have had good success using spray adhesives (3M rubber glue in a can) just spray one side of the wrap (not the wrap & body tube) and use care to align things up.

For the fins I used 5min. epoxy and Tenax 7 liquid styrene solvent (it`s not really a glue,as it melts the parts together like a weld)

hcmbanjo (Chris) has a great builders blog you should check out.He builds all kinds of kits,step by step ,with many good tricks and hints.He actually did an Estes Saturn V build that I found very usefull !

www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com

You will find much usefull info here !

HTH

Paul T

Believe it or not, I used double-sided carpet tape, and also wicked some thin CA with a tiny brush into the seams. Worked like a charm.

Back