Citation Patriot Up scale build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzviper1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
One of 3 simultatnous build threads.

This will be a BT-80 based upscale of the old Estes Citation Patriot.
It will be 24mm powered D and E for low and slow flights.
The fins are 3/16" Balsa I will harden the L.E. and T.E. with thin CA.
Assembly will be done with epoxy.

Here is the "kit" pic.

Citation Patriot.jpg

so how much bigger will it be? I was thinking about doing an upscale Patriot...one of my favorite rockets.

Located the position of the centering rings on the LOC 24mm motor mount tube. I am using 3 because they are paper rings from Semroc.

Tacked them in place with thin CA.
Added support trusses to uper and lower rings.
Ther built epoxy fillets around all joints.
Result is strong but still light.

Patriot 002.jpg

Patriot 003.jpg

Patriot 004.jpg

Located the position of the centering rings on the LOC 24mm motor mount tube. I am using 3 because they are paper rings from Semroc.

Tacked them in place with thin CA.
Added support trusses to uper and lower rings.
Ther built epoxy fillets around all joints.
Result is strong but still light.

Another thing that works great and less weight is card board for the trusses.

Tack glued the fins with Medium CA.

Slid the upper tube on for a pic next to the original.

The regular one is going to be re-finished and re-decaled so the will look like twins.

(Yes my work bench is my living room floor.):p

P.S. Yes you are right about the gusset term, my bad for getting it wrong.

Patriot 005.jpg

Patriot 006.jpg

Here is how I did her chute, she may need two.

Old style PK-24.

24 suspension lines.
Makes for a very tough plastic chute.

PB120076.jpg

PB120078.jpg

PB120083.jpg

PB120084.jpg

PB120087.jpg

Which nose cone did you use? I've been thinking of an upscale Red Max (same cone as the Pat).

Looks Great Mike! I am curious if you would allow us copy-cats a RockSim or Open Rocket file of your creation? I have been thinking a 4in version for a while now, but have not been able to find any reference material, and I don't have an original.

JimZ has the instructions, but I have seen it mentioned in a couple threads that the fin patterns may not be accurate?!?

Very nice work!

What material did you use for the suspension lines?

Greg

I used "Heavy Cotton" Sewing thread.
The reason is that cotton holds knots better than nylon thread for theses projects. When I do use nylon I have to put a drop of thin CA on all knots.

Looks Great Mike! I am curious if you would allow us copy-cats a RockSim or Open Rocket file of your creation? I have been thinking a 4in version for a while now, but have not been able to find any reference material, and I don't have an original.

JimZ has the instructions, but I have seen it mentioned in a couple threads that the fin patterns may not be accurate?!?

I don't currently have RockSim, but if I can help please let me know how.

Great looking build,should fly very well.What kind of motor retention are you using?

Nice build but what really impressed me is the level of patience involved in stringing out that parachute. Makes my fingers hurt just thinking about it.

That's just gorgeous! I have an original that's been tempting me to upscale. Now you've reinforced that thought.

Why epoxy in the build? Regular wood glue should be stronger for paper/wood, and significantly cheaper. Just askin'.

Nice work!
-Ken

That's just gorgeous! I have an original that's been tempting me to upscale. Now you've reinforced that thought.

Why epoxy in the build? Regular wood glue should be stronger for paper/wood, and significantly cheaper. Just askin'.

Nice work!
-Ken

I just like how epoxy works

Latest posts

Back