Lacquer And Air Temperature

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncrichie

Reaction score
Anyone know the minimum outside air temp for spraying lacquer. I'm thinking dryer air during the winter (a good thing) but what about the temps? Uncrichie.

Me personally? I've painted Lacquer at 3 Celsius, but it does take a while to dry.
Ideal is over 10 Celsius.
Biggest part of painting in the colder seasons is make sure the paint can is warm.

Me personally? I've painted Lacquer at 3 Celsius, but it does take a while to dry.
Ideal is over 10 Celsius.
Biggest part of painting in the colder seasons is make sure the paint can is warm.

I always like to put my cans in a bucket of warm water to warm them up a bit before I spray

I'm not too worried about air pressure I'll be using a spray gun with compressor supplied air. After spraying is there a time when I can bring it inside to final dry without the worry of blush? I'm sure the warm more humid air inside might fog the surface. Or should I just leave it out side til dry?

I'm not too worried about air pressure I'll be using a spray gun with compressor supplied air. After spraying is there a time when I can bring it inside to final dry without the worry of blush? I'm sure the warm more humid air inside might fog the surface. Or should I just leave it out side til dry?

I'd leave it overnight, then bring it in. Risk of blushing is less.
If it's simple condensation that collects on the rocket after bringing it inside, leave it alone, don't touch it until the condensation evaporates.

Thanks everyone for your replies, now to get all the prep out of the way.

Most finishes have the minimum temperature on the can. If sprayed at too low a temperature, the finish will not flow properly.

Unless you are running a humidifier, the relative humidity inside a house during cold weather is generally pretty low because the cold outside air can't hold much moisture and then when it comes into the house and warms up, the relative humidity (how much moisture is in the air relative to how much it can hold) is really low.

Back