Source for decals for ASP micro kits?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have both the micro Red Max and micro Goblin kits from Leading Edge. I would like to find a source for decals in the style of the classic kits. Does anybody have a suggestion?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have both of those decal set and they are easily scaled.

I just need to know the body tube sizes.

Like I explained in my email to you. Those decal are so small the shipping would be more than the decal price if I posted them.

I'm trying to put together a Micro Maxx decal set that would include Der Red Max and Goblin but...I'm not sure what else to include.

Any ideas????

These are the Micro Maxx decal I have already drawn up ready to print.

Big Bertha
Sprint
Space Cruiser Excalibur
Dragonship 7
Honest John (K-27 version)
Interceptor
SS Cassiopeia
Andromeda
Alien Space Explorer

Any more you guys want or want me to delete. OK, the interceptor may be a bit hard to do but not everything in Micro Maxx should be easy!

Below are some of mine sitting in a shoe box lid.

DSCN0654.jpg

Like I explained in my email to you. Those decal are so small the shipping would be more than the decal price if I posted them.

I'm trying to put together a Micro Maxx decal set that would include Der Red Max and Goblin but...I'm not sure what else to include.

Any ideas????

Big Bertha
Sprint
Space Cruiser Excalibur
Dragonship 7
Interceptor
SS Cassiopeia
Andromeda
Alien Space Explorer

Any more you guys want or want me to delete. OK, the interceptor may be a bit hard to do but not everything in Micro Maxx should be easy!

Gordy,

In many respects you are asking the same question as is being asked by this other thread

Obviously, the answers vary from modeler to modeler, but if you read through the thread, there appear to be some kits that get mentioned by multiple people: Citation Starship Vega, Citation Patriot, Big Bertha, Cherokee D, Mark, Alpha, Drifter, Orbital Transport, etc.

Personally, (and I know somebody will disagree with me as soon as I say it) I would not include Space Cruiser Excalibur and Dragonship 7 in the offering. Those 2 kits didn't stick around very long, so I suspect they didn't generate as much interest as some of the others I listed above.

Personally, (and I know somebody will disagree with me as soon as I say it) I would not include Space Cruiser Excalibur and Dragonship 7 in the offering. Those 2 kits didn't stick around very long, so I suspect they didn't generate as much interest as some of the others I listed above.
Yup, and I'll be the first one. I think you must mean the Patrol Cruiser Excalibur, right? I find retro sci fi kit designs to be quite appealing. I wasn't active in the hobby at the beginning of the 80s, so these old kits are new to me! Downscaling them to micro rocket size would be an interesting project.

Yup, and I'll be the first one.

Ah! As predicted by the Amazing BARnack! :wink:

so these old kits are new to me! Downscaling them to micro rocket size would be an interesting project.

LOL. And once you are finished applying those teeny-tiny decal strips of rivet dots on the micro Dragonship in the prescribed panel pattern, you'll be ready for therapy!
:2:

Ah! As predicted by the Amazing BARnack! :wink:

LOL. And once you are finished applying those teeny-tiny decal strips of rivet dots on the micro Dragonship in the prescribed panel pattern, you'll be ready for therapy!
:2:
Have you seen my Jayhawk? That's the challenge of building on that scale, a challenge that I find enjoyable.

Let me ask you, though: if you find building rockets on this scale to be so unpleasant, then why are you bothering with these kits?

DSCF1198.JPG

DSCF1199.JPG

Last edited:
Have you seen my Jayhawk? That's the challenge of building on that scale, a challenge that I find enjoyable.

Let me ask you, though: if you find building rockets on this scale to be so unpleasant, then why are you bothering with these kits?

DSCF1198.JPG

DSCF1199.JPG

HA HA! Your turn LW.

Don't get your knickers in a twist. I was talking about a specific model and specific decals. Applying those decal strips on the original BT60 model was challenging as it was. So I was musing over the concept of how much more challenging that decaling task would be on a micro scale. It was intended to be a humorous commentary of the level of that specific challenge. I'm sorry if you inferred a different meaning.

And speaking of likes and dislikes, beautiful job on that Jayhawk! Is that a scratcher or is that the ASP kit?

Don't get your knickers in a twist. I was talking about a specific model and specific decals. Applying those decal strips on the original BT60 model was challenging as it was. So I was musing over the concept of how much more challenging that decaling task would be on a micro scale. It was intended to be a humorous commentary of the level of that specific challenge. I'm sorry if you inferred a different meaning.

And speaking of likes and dislikes, beautiful job on that Jayhawk! Is that a scratcher or is that the ASP kit?
Thank you. It is the ASP kit.

White Knight takes pawn at F-7, Ckecks King at D-8. Next move. Aw POO! Day late and a dollar short.

Last edited:

Any ideas????

Big Bertha
Sprint
Space Cruiser Excalibur
Dragonship 7
Interceptor
SS Cassiopeia
Andromeda
Alien Space Explorer

As for me, I'll take em all! Working with some of Gordy's decals right now and they are sweet. Like working on 1/144 scale fighters on the deck of a carrier!

Do you have the nike-ajax or super loki darts set up as kits, or just turned bits and templates? I'll buy em.

As for me, I'll take em all! Working with some of Gordy's decals right now and they are sweet. Like working on 1/144 scale fighters on the deck of a carrier!

Do you have the nike-ajax or super loki darts set up as kits, or just turned bits and templates? I'll buy em.

I'm all out of the Nike Ajax kits and honestly they weren't big sellers.

I could make a few more but I have to make parts. I'm all out.

I do have the decals for the Super Loki Dart!

They are scaled for a BT-55 booster and BT-5 dart.

Super Loki Dart.JPG

Actually LW; applying the rivet details to both Excaribur and DragonShip-7 in BT-5 size was really not much more of a challange then doing the original BT-60 size.
Further there are now Raised rivet decals available, that will make the next Excalibur even more exciting. Both are pretty fair flying models at this micro scale as well.

Gordy: it's really going to be a challange to include a rounded assortment on a single sheet.
I'd suggest: T5- Patrol Crusier Excalibur, T5- DragonShip-7, T3 and T4 Goblin, T3 & T4 Der Red Max, T2+ & T3 Orbital Transport, T5 Laser-X, T4 Cherokee-1/8A, T4. & T5 Alien Space Probe, T2+ & T3 Interceptor, along with T2+ Jawhawk, and T3 Honest John body wrap for red/white & black versions sould more then fill a single 8.5 x 11. your nesting will determine which of what can be included.

MM 373a_MM T5 Patrol Cruiser Excalibur_04-17-11.JPG

MM 374_MM T5 Dragon Ship-7_04-17-11.jpg

Last edited:
Actually LW; applying the rivet details to both Excaribur and DragonShip-7 in BT-5 size was really no much more of a challange then doing the original BT-60 size.
Further there are now Raised rivet decals available, that will make the next Excalibur even more exciting. Both are pretty fair flying models at this micro scale as well.

Gordy: it's really doning to be a challange to include a rounded assortment on a single sheet.
I'd suggest: T5- Patrol Crusier Excalibur, T5- DragonShip-7, T3 and T4 Goblin, T3 & T4 Der Red Max, T2+ & T3 Orbital Transport, T5 Laser-X, T4 Cherokee-1/8A, T4. & T5 Alien Space Probe, T2+ & T3 Interceptor, along with T2+ Jawhawk, and T3 Honest John body wrap for red/white & black versions sould more then fill a single 8.5 x 11. your nesting will determine which of what can be included.

Great! Just keep the suggestions coming and I'll try to have the Micro Maxx decal set ready this weekend.

Thanks!

Because Leading Edge produces micro versions of classic kits, you may want to consider including decals for them.

Yep,

Yellow Jacket
Asteroid Explorer
Big (OK not so big) Bertha (which decal? Puffy letters, Post Damon???)
Goblin
Red Max
Patriot
Scrambler (cluster)

Any more?

Fliskits
Honest John (same as the Estes K-27)
Micro Deuce???

I can do them if people will buy them.

Scaling is not that hard.

Yep,

Yellow Jacket
Asteroid Explorer
Goblin
Red Max
Patriot
Scrambler (cluster)

Any more?

Fliskits
Honest John (same as the Estes K-27)
Micro Deuce???

I can do them if people will buy them.

Scaling is not that hard.

I'm partial to the post Damon style of Bertha decals.

If you need to fill in a small spaces on the sheet, might I suggest including the decals for iconic kits such as Alpha, Mark, Skyhook, and Astro 1?

Although it's a new(er) kit, I think a lot of folk might want to try a Micro Skywriter pencil rocket.

Yep,

Yellow Jacket
Asteroid Explorer
Goblin
Red Max
Patriot
Scrambler (cluster)

I have this decal set, can anyone confirm the tube sizes for each?

Thanks

I have the Leading Edge Yellow jacket...it is the same size as the Fliskits BT-4, ID: 0.422" / OD: 0.448" / Wall thickness: 0.013"

Those are great kits, I hope Leading Edge makes some more...I really wanted a Scrambler.

Sandman replied by email identifying the decals were for the Leading edge micro kits, and it looks like the yellow jacket is still available. From the wayback machine, the Scrambler was based on a bt-20, the Asteroid Explorer was bt-5 and the rest were bt-4. For the scrambler the payload is the St7 2.25" long semroc (erockets) plastic tube. Gordon can do the transition from St7 to bt 20 for a resonable price.

Thanks for that info, I was looking at the Leading Edge site periodically over the last 6-9 months, it looks like they recently sold out of the Scramble, Micro-Goblin and a couple other of their MMX kits. I should email to see if he plans on making more, then I'll see about the need to "roll my own" and search for parts.

I'm also eyeing the Semroc full-sized Scrambler. I remember building that as a kid, loved it...good times!

I have the Leading Edge Yellow jacket...it is the same size as the Fliskits BT-4, ID: 0.422" / OD: 0.448" / Wall thickness: 0.013"

Those are great kits, I hope Leading Edge makes some more...I really wanted a Scrambler.

I don't know if this will help you at all but I have a T3 (.375") Yellow Jacket One-Page Plan available for free 2.6x download over on the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group Files section. The plan includes the decals if you have access to an Inkjet printer and In-jet decal paper.

I've found over time that T3 (.375") main body size seems to give the best balance between Detail and great flying performance. Photo of my Yellow Jacket is below. I'll try to add the One-Page pdf file if it isn't to large.

MM 326a-sm_Micro Yellow Jacket_11-17-06.jpg

View attachment MM 326c_Yellow Jacket Plan_11-14-06.pdf

Last edited:
I don't know if this will help you at all but I have a T3 (.375") Yellow Jacket One-Page Plan available for free 2.6x download over on the MicroMaxRockets yahoo group Files section. The plan includes the decals if you have access to an Inkjet printer and In-jet decal paper.

I've found over time that T3 (.375") main body size seems to give the best balance between Detail and great flying performance. Photo of my Yellow Jacket is below. I'll try to add the One-Page pdf file if it isn't to large.

Thanks for the PDF file!

BTW, with Yahoo having security issues and just being bought, are there any plans to backup & safeguard the downloads and other files over at Yahoo?

Thanks for the PDF file!

BTW, with Yahoo having security issues and just being bought, are there any plans to backup & safeguard the downloads and other files over at Yahoo?

None of my files are stored on Yahoo alone. I have the entire McCoy's Micro Wonder Works drawings, Photors and articles at home on 3 redundant sources:) I honestly don't know of the yahoo group owner has made any arrangements for backing up the other data on our site. I'm just a moderator over there:)

Back