Need some ideas for turrets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, a white and blue camo pattern sounds cool. I'll have to think about that one. I still haven't figured out how I would mask the angular pattern.

It would not really be that hard to mask.....just very time consuming.

Light color first ,then to the darkest ,and i would recommend Tamiya Tape.You could pretty much do it freehand ,just make yourself a rough drawing on paper to use as reference (plenty of pics on google) and go to town.

Down time is waiting for the paint to cure between layers......always a bummer :(

I`ve done plenty of camo patterns on 1/48 scale aircraft ,not that hard.I use an airbrush ,but rattle cans would do just fine.

You may want to check out Testors spray paints ,as they have great colors for what you want to do.

HTH

Paul T

I did some playing around today. I couldn't find a 3" diameter sanding drum, so I made one. I cut three circles from pine, put them in my lathe, and cut them to the correct diameter. I cut a slot in the side with my bandsaw, to put the end of the sandpaper in. I stuck the sandpaper to the drum with carpet tape.

21_sanding_drum.jpg

23_sanding_drum.jpg

24_sanding_drum.jpg

25_sanding_drum.jpg

I used some pieces of pine for the turrets. I drilled into the ends of the wood for the barrels, then shaped them with my stationary disc sander. Using the drum sander, I shaped the bottoms to fit the body tube.

26_turret.jpg

27_turret.jpg

28_turret.jpg

I'm leaning towards the tapered turret, but I haven't decided yet.

29_turrets.jpg

30_turret.jpg

31_turret.jpg

32_turret.jpg

Aye, matey...methinks the hole below the waterline is where yer rocket motor goes! Love the innovative thinking and nice use of tools-this is gonna be impressive!! Carry on, sir! (that's the fourth guy we lost swabbin' the decks...they keep falling off!)

For realism's sake, I like the straight sides, but a third design, with a taper more than straight and and less than your tapered turrets may be more realistic. Also, on most ships with two or more turrets on the same end of the ship, the second turret is usually "super-elevated", or raised up, so the second turret can fire forward at the same time as the first turret, without hitting the first turret. Check out the side profile pics you posted at the start of this thread, and you'll see what I mean.

The turrets do look good, and it's a great idea. The overhead profiles in the paint scheme pics I sent you show straighter sides, and don't forget the range directors (the little square projections on the back of the turrets).

So have you determined where you are going to put the CO2 cartridges?

[YOUTUBE]RmpMWnwiUq0&feature=player_detailpage[/YOUTUBE]

And everybody thinks sport rocketry is a niche hobby.

Last edited:
For realism's sake, I like the straight sides, but a third design, with a taper more than straight and and less than your tapered turrets may be more realistic. Also, on most ships with two or more turrets on the same end of the ship, the second turret is usually "super-elevated", or raised up, so the second turret can fire forward at the same time as the first turret, without hitting the first turret. Check out the side profile pics you posted at the start of this thread, and you'll see what I mean.

The turrets do look good, and it's a great idea. The overhead profiles in the paint scheme pics I sent you show straighter sides, and don't forget the range directors (the little square projections on the back of the turrets).

You're right, the Pensacola's turrets did have straight sides, so that might look better. But I need to make some more mockups, specifically the three gun turrets. I need to make sure they won't be too wide. And yes, I'm aware that the three gun turrets were mounted above the two gun turrets. But since this will be a space cruiser, and there is no up or down in space, I plan on on putting two turrets on top and two on the bottom. The three gun turrets will be pointing forward, and the two gun turrets will be pointing aft. I know it won't be all that realistic, since the turrets won't be able to rotate, nor the barrels raise. But it is a model rocket, after all, and one that'll fly. As long as I get the gist of the turrets, I'll be fine. Plus, I'm afraid that having all four turrets on top would unbalance the rocket, and probably make it unstable.

Back