All-time Altitude List is back!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRP Crew

Reaction score
Hi everyone! The All-time alltitude list is back on line and more.
If you want to know the highest recorded altitude (taken from the Internet),
just click on the link and check out your favorite altitudes by motor.
The Single motor, Staged and Clustered, and Duration lists have been around for over 5 years. I've just updated it with a whole new guideline. Over 800 records listed and updated a couple of times within each week.
Check it out!

:jaw:
Unofficial All-time Single Motor Altitude Records (Taken Off the Internet)https://www.mts.net/~rns/rocketry/All-time Altitude records.htm

All-time Staged and Clustered Altitude Records (Taken Off the INET)https://www.mts.net/~rns/rocketry/All-time Staged and Clustered Altitude records.htm

All-time Duration Records (Taken off the Internet)
https://www.mts.net/~rns/rocketry/All-time Duration records.htm

Last edited:
Hi everyone! The All-time alltitude list is back on line and more.
If you want to know the highest recorded altitude (taken from the Internet),
just click on the link and check out your favorite altitudes by motor.
The Single motor, Staged and Clustered, and Duration lists have been around for over 5 years. I've just updated it with a whole new guideline. Over 800 records listed and updated a couple of times within each week.
Check it out!

:jaw:
Unofficial All-time Single Altitude Records (Taken Off the Internet)https://www.mts.net/~rns/URR/All-time Altitude records.htm

All-time Staged and Clustered Altitude Records (Taken Off the INET)https://www.mts.net/~rns/URR/All-time Staged and Clustered Altitude records.htm

All-time Duration Records (Taken off the Internet)
https://www.mts.net/~rns/URR/All-time Duration records.htm

Why were some disqualified for being too high?

On the one hand, thanks for making quite a complete list. I was hoping someone would do this someday. On the other hand, all of the "disqualified"s for flights that I personally know are legit, deserves a bit of mockery. So here goes:

Woo hoo! I haven't counted exactly, but I think I have more "disqualified--too high" than anyone else! Yay!

On the one hand, thanks for making quite a complete list. I was hoping someone would do this someday. On the other hand, all of the "disqualified"s for flights that I personally know are legit, deserves a bit of mockery. So here goes:

Woo hoo! I haven't counted exactly, but I think I have more "disqualified--too high" than anyone else! Yay!

Adrian,
The altitudes were probably off because you didn't use a featherweight altimeter.:wink:

John

Sorry Adrian A. I knew the disqualifications would finally get some attention. This is new on the list in hopes I would get some real proof. As far as a G37 going over 8,000 feet, I'll gladly keep it on there but it just doesn't seem possible. There's people that can't even hit half that height with a streamline airframe. Just sayin.
I would like to keep it on the list. Do you have any proof you hit these heights?

Last edited:
Sorry Adrian A. I knew the disqualifications would finally get some attention. This is new on the list in hopes I would get some real proof. As far as a G37 going over 8,000 feet, I'll gladly keep it on there but it just doesn't seem possible. There's people that can't even hit half that height with a streamline airframe. Just sayin.
I would like to keep it on the list. Do you have any proof you hit these heights?

F10 to 7492 that I submitted for a Tripoli record. With witness signatures, etc. This forum post also discusses previous attempts, designs, and results:
https://www.rocketryforumarchive.com/showthread.php?t=46394

Data from a G flight over 8200 feet:
https://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1999&page=7

Data and discussion of subsequent G flight over 8700 feet that I submitted for a Tripoli record. It had witness signatures, etc.:
www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2565

H160 to 14,264 in May this year:
https://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5667&page=7

H160 to 14,818 in July this year, With witness signatures, etc.:
https://www.tripoli.org/Membership/CompetitionsandRecords/HSingleMotorRecord/tabid/302/Default.aspx

I600 to 15,965 feet:
https://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2808&page=9

I600 to 16,539 according to a HiAlt45k (the only time I have used a non-Featherweight altimeter for a record shot)
https://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2808&page=16

I216 to 17,408 feet: (With witness signatures, etc.)
https://www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6636

J530 to 22,530 (With witness signatures, etc.)
www.rocketryplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6650

Those I and J flights were in the same weekend, and I think are the 2 that are least likely to be broken without a motor improvement.

L1115 to 32,030 (GPS) a couple of weeks ago (With witness signatures, etc.):
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=26383&page=7

I think I have all the downloaded data files from these flights, unless I lost some of the older ones in a computer crash.

I was kind of surprised to see how many record attempts I have made over the last few years. F,G,H,I,J, and L. No K record attempt yet. Next year the M record.

I think most of the above are already on your list. They're all legit. So are the ones from Chad Moore, John Wilke and Warren Musselman. Don't forget that these were launched from either 5400' (Pawnee North Site) or 8800' (Hartsel) ASL. That definitely helps. So does optimal mass, Von Karman skinny nosecones, thin carbon fiber fins, flush or tapered aft closures, and last but not least, shorter rockets by using small av-bays stuffed with small electronics.

As a former holder of several NAR and FAI LPR altitude records and developer of my own 6DOF flight sim, I think some of the"suspicious" pronouncements on the list are suspect. SRP marks an altitude of just over 2000' with a C6-7 as too high. At the 1980 world championships I had a C6-7 payload flight to 668 meters (a bit over 2000'), optically tracked with perfect closure, with an ounce of lead in the model. Tower launcher, 30" piston, glass finish. This record was certified by the FAI.

OpenRocket estimates an optimum mass C6-7 model at a bit over 1900 feet. Barrowman based simulations have been known for a long time to overestimate the Cd for small rockets, particularly for very smooth surfaces. There is nothing surprising about a good C6-7 flight cracking 2000'. With a piston launcher and without a payload I'd expect that it should be possible to get a legit flight in the 2200+ range.

Just the voice of competition experience...

Thanks for your input on this. I will take the comments off the F10, G37. I had to sim'd it at very tight drag coeficient number and touchy and fin thickness to get it in the ballpark. But what strikes me was that the thrust and altitude curves looked like. They made sense. The G37 is definitely going to be tough to beat. Both those are going to be tough to beat I can see now. As for the changes on the "list", they'll be made later tonight.

I'll check out the other High-powered for you later on.

Let me know if you have any others so I can add/maintain a truth list.

Thanks again

Rick
:wink:

Thanks for your input on this. I will take the comments off the F10, G37. I had to sim'd it at very tight drag coeficient number and touchy and fin thickness to get it in the ballpark. But what strikes me was that the thrust and altitude curves looked like. They made sense. The G37 is definitely going to be tough to beat. Both those are going to be tough to beat I can see now. As for the changes on the "list", they'll be made later tonight.

I'll check out the other High-powered for you later on.

Let me know if you have any others so I can add/maintain a truth list.

Thanks again

Rick

Thanks, Rick. I think the G is definitely beatable using a Von Karman nosecone and CTI motors, especially since Cesaroni offers a tapered rear closure. I was getting ready for another attempt with those, but I lost my 29mm rocket last spring.

As a former holder of several NAR and FAI LPR altitude records and developer of my own 6DOF flight sim, I think some of the"suspicious" pronouncements on the list are suspect. SRP marks an altitude of just over 2000' with a C6-7 as too high. At the 1980 world championships I had a C6-7 payload flight to 668 meters (a bit over 2000'), optically tracked with perfect closure, with an ounce of lead in the model. Tower launcher, 30" piston, glass finish. This record was certified by the FAI.

OpenRocket estimates an optimum mass C6-7 model at a bit over 1900 feet. Barrowman based simulations have been known for a long time to overestimate the Cd for small rockets, particularly for very smooth surfaces. There is nothing surprising about a good C6-7 flight cracking 2000'. With a piston launcher and without a payload I'd expect that it should be possible to get a legit flight in the 2200+ range.

Just the voice of competition experience...
Thanks caveduck. The list has been updated and reflect some of these concerns. Any other disputes, additions or concerns with the "list", please let me know.

Hi everyone.
I've been getting a lot positive input from the many flyers interested in this Internet Altitude Record list. A lot of great feedback as to how the data should read a well. The main thing is, it's a quick and dirty list which gets you the information. Nothing fancy. I've come to realize how important an altitude means for some, as and there is quite a few dedicating their efforts on doing this.

So, the updates keep happening everyday and the lists are still expanding. There's so many unclaimed motor-delay records waiting to be taken.:(

So if you know of any more links or records I'm not listing/linking, just email me or send me a public or private messege on this forum. Maybe I can get'em on this crazy list for you.

Keep reaching higher!
;)

Why oh why can't we get Gary to make some propellant formulas like Ellis did? Seems we got away from that with the coloured flames and sparky stuff. I can't make the fun stuff anymore thanks to the baking soda and vinegar mindset of the 'get another hobby' administrative wing and minions. Cesaroni has a moonburn and that's on the right track but PLEASE give us some slow-roasted, oven crisp, melt in your rockets, tasty, long lasting, propellants!
Either that or DQ:y: all the Ellis records.....

This is a very cool idea, but I don't understand everything I see in those lists. It looks like there are multiple and widely varying altitudes or times for each record, for instance, the way I read it, there are about a dozen C parachute duration records. And several of the numbers look (no offense to anyone) pretty unremarkable, like the 19 second C duration.

Maybe I'm missing something important that you could shed some light on.

Hi,
Thanks for your comments about the duration list.
The problem I have with the duration list is, that there is very little information online for this catagory. I was only able to find 3 or 4 sites with anything. So, until I can find more links it remains with awful 19 second durations for some motor types. That's where the rocket community can step up and help me out.

Therefore, the list has duplicates and is a little unsorted at this time. So it's a start and at least there is some content I suppose. Most of the focus has been on altitudes by a long way.

So, if you know of any information or some links so more better top end durations, please let me know.

Here' a submission sheet that goes directly to me so we can challenge this list:

https://www.mts.net/~rns/URR/Record Submission Form - Duration.htm

Let me know if you have any other ideas.

thanks again.

SRP Crew

Then you must have some contributions. Send'em over:eyepop:
records or formulae? Only record I ever had was in 1966 on an Estes Skyhook with the high school rocket club-made the (very) local paper! Won't post any formulae here! Verbooten!

Judging from your avatar and the word "Formulae", we might have more in common then one might think fyrwrxz.

And that might be a discussion we could have on another forum-ulae ...

cheers:

Don't have my l2 anymore..gave it up for lent...wife wouldn't lend me anymore! So... not allowed to go to the research forum. Anyways...what do you guys do? Semi retired aerospace manufacturing engineer ( Atlas, Titan, Shuttle. etc) kinda girl with a long history of model rockets. Fireworks as a hobby-always loved chemistry but never finished a degree in it. EX motors are very interesting and the support has grown exponentially over the years. Richard Nakka is a hero in his own right and I actually have one of Frank Kosdon's old T-shirts! But I blather...your turn!

Well can't match. You were right in the mix for sure.
I'm just a technical designer, was a mechanic for years. Tried to grow up from rockets...the wife said, "like that really worked!" The Crew moved on but not me. They lead their own lives now.
Let's see...Data collecter for the world, Chief bottle washer, second in command, and she'd like all the rocs gone. NOPE! Grandkids. Mad about Space since John Glenn did the loop. Big history buff. I can blame Willy Ley and the AVRO Aero legacy for that. Okay throw in the Geminis blah blah...Can't buy any big motors up here (911 snuffed that out) Dangerous goods act and all.
So KNO3 means the neighbors and their dogs think I'm a KNOB for trying to improve the thrust curves in the back 40. The space race is dead...right? hmm.
Yikes! Over and out! and tossed from this forum ...oops

Altitude (there- now the moderator knows we're on thread!) It's really a lot easier with the bigger motors to cast the grains but it gets really finicky at the smaller diameters. Flame front sustainability and nozzle calcs for 29mm (which I love) slow burns are crazy jig saw puzzles that don't play well together. Ellis actually made stuff for Aerotech when the plant went down. I was hoping to see Aerotech reciprocate when Ellis died. A lot of records were made with those and now there are really no replacements. I was hoping *somebody* would pony up the bucks for all the crap you need to commercially make and sell this type. Unfortuately, the lower ISP for AN based propellants (candy is too fast- I even tried powdered rubber-what a mess that was!)) now triggers an alarm due to Oklahoma. One crazy ruins it for us all. EX is fun and cool, but the litmus for a record is universal access to a standardized motor and reproducability of burn data amongst the lot. It SHOULD all come down to airframes and construction techniques. If I ever win the lottery......

Agreed.
We just don't have the alot of motor selection north of the 49th. We thought Animal Works and Cesaroni were going to get together with their "Kryptonite" motors up here, but I never heard anymore. I think it was a 24-29mm E to G Amonium Perchlorate product. At least that's what I'm guessing it was. Nothing happened. Oh well.

Rocketry is kinda misunderstood by the official laymen etc. To me, Fireworks is more dangerous. I'm sure the debate rages about all that stuff...

Didn't know that about Ellis. :jaw:That's why I haven't heard much of Ellis Mtn.
Why do you think so many are going to alternative fuels then. Cheaper? Just cuz? Different levels of rocketeers? Maybe it's case-by-case.

Very little Aerotech comes up here and Cesaroni is to far away to get. All too expensive. There's only a handful here out of the 3/4 million people that are rocket keeners here. The very small rocket club here flies in a phone booth park and haven't felt like doing that.
Especially when the inlaws have 4 sections of farmland just outside the city.
The math becomes simple.
:point:

Hi everyone,

I just gave my website a little bit of an overhaul. It's a little more user-friendly.
Come visit!

Clear skies and perfect launches to you all!

Rockoon of the SRP Crew

Back