New Quest Micro Rocs Review

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MicroFlyer

Reaction score
I will start this by saying I have have always been a fan of the RTF MMX Models from Quest. They may not fly the highest or be the most stable, but they are kinda cute and a blast to fly when I can't get to a proper field. I have probably ran 200 motors through them since my first set in 200, and after years my firesale supply was running low. So when I saw Quest was bringing out new sets, I was excited to pick one up.

At my request, the HobbyTown closest to my house started carrying the sets (all 4 available!). I was surprised that they were priced about the same as my original twin set in 2000. I picked up two, the Critical Mass/No Mercy, and the UFO/Spacefighter. I'm a little sad that the SR-71/Tomahawk combo is not available anymore.

The set itself is quite nice. It comes in a sturdy cardboard range box with plastic handle. The colors remind me more of the original MMX sets, instead of the later "cloud" packaging. Inside, you find 6 motors w/ the new igniters in a ziplock bag, the new yellow MMX pad, the standard quest 9v controller, and two individually wrapped MMX rockets. Quest includes one of their glossy single sheet catalogs. The rockets are just the same original batch you may be used to, branded "1999 Toy Biz"

Even though I have a dedicated MMX range box, I thought it would be fun to use this set right out of its range box. For this test I chose the No Mercy/Critical Mass set. I found in interesting that the outside box makes no mention of MicroMaxx, and the instruction sheet is all MicroMaxx and no Micro Rocs. I unwrapped everything, loaded up a 9v in the controller, and headed for the park.

Having a bunch of experience with these in the past, I fly from the center of a baseball diamond. That way, if any parts should come off, they are on the fine dirt instead of in the grass. I set up, loaded up a motor in the No Mercy Rocket, attached my clips, and pushed the button. The familiar MMX pffft and the rocket took off straight up, popped the streamer and landed about 20ft from the pad. I would say I got every bit of the advertised 75 ft altitude. I was surprised that the streamer deployed fully and did not appear to be the scorched mylar ball I had been used to.

On recovery, I was sad to see that my nosecone was no longer with the rocket. The piston was there, the fin can was there, the streamer was perfect (not a single burned area), but the nose was gone. Bummer! I walked around for about 20 minutes, with no luck finding it. Its here that I should mention that I still have my original No Mercy rocket from 2000, and after over 50 logged flights it's still intact. When I went to load up the Critical Mass rocket, I tugged on all the parts and the glue holding the fin can end gave way. I have no doubt that had I launched it I would have ended the day with two broken rockets.

It seems that after sitting for 10+ years, the glue on these might be getting a bit brittle. If you pick some up, be sure to give them a good pre-flight check. Hopefully if these make it into the hand of new rocketeers they will have better luck, as one flight out of a rocket might not be the best way to begin the hobby.

Even with only one flight in, it was still a lot of fun to fly these again, and it brought back fond memories sitting in the grass with a cardboard range box and some rockets. If you missed these the first time around, pick up a set and have some backyard rocketry fun... just bring some CA :D

I don't understand why Quest would sell rockets that are so poorly built. I had the some problem or other problems with the micro rocs I had purchased. I would think this would discourage a lot of would be rocket hobbiests regarding the quality of Quest products.

Back