Estes - Cosmic Explorer (#2421) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Ron

Reaction score
this is a very nice well designed kit. Its an Estes Cosmic explorer however its is identical to the Centuri "Centurion". Stands at 24" tall, features a 2 piece Bt -55 tube that has to be coupled together to form the main body. Standard 18mm engine power. Thru the body fins construction and 18" chute recovery. Estimated altitude is around 650-700ft on C6-7. I may grab another one as this rocket is a great candidate for a Estes E/D engine mount which would make for a beast Im sure....

Last edited:
this is a very nice well designed kit. Its an Estes Cosmic explorer however its is identical to the Centuri "Centurion". Stands at 24" tall, features a 2 piece Bt -55 tube that has to be coupled together to form the main body.

The old Centuri Centurion used ST-16 instead of the ST-13 that would have been used if this was a simple redo of the Centurion using Estes parts. The Cosmic Explorer is like a Centurion that went on a diet.

Its an Estes Cosmic explorer however its is identical to the Centuri "Centurion.
Aside from the
body tube size,
nose cone shape,
over-all fin shape,
over-all dimensions
and
total decal design
- they are indeed "identical".;)

Thanks for the link.
I did refer to it and they all say pretty much the same thing that...

"Aside from the
body tube size,
nose cone shape,
over-all fin shape,
over-all dimensions
and
total decal design
- they are indeed "identical"."

It' seems most feel that the Comet has more in common than the Centurion does to the Cosmic Explorer.

I bet if you put an unpainted CE next to a unpainted Centurion, no one would agree that they appear similar.

Welcome to the Estes Cosmic Explorer (#2421) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Cosmic Explorer and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Cosmic Explorer: #2421

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works.

Last edited:
this bird reminds me of a Leviathan too. (hadn't thought about the Centurion until I saw this, and the other thread about, but I agree with that too...*resembles* not exact)

anywho, I decided to paint mine sorta like the Leviathan display pics...I like it, and plan to launch at our next club launch (amazingly yesterday's launch was cancelled due to rains earlier in the week: its July in Oklahoma fer cryin' out loud!!! but that means little chance of burn bans later too...)

DSC_5487MR.jpg

Estes Cosmic Explorer (#2421) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Cosmic Explorer Also known as:

NUMBER: #2421

Introduced: 2010
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 24"
Diameter: 1.33"
Span:
Weight: 2.75 oz.

Mfg. Description: No significant text in 2010 Catalog

=====

Just another great rocket! What can we say? Only that we employ some of the finest and best rocket designers in the world! A Skill Level 1 kit, the Cosmic Explorer is a high performance, sport rocket that won't take hours and hours to build.

Search the cosmos with the Estes Cosmic Explorer! This unique sport rocket has styling and power that's BIG on performance. The Cosmic Explorer is an easy to assemble, high tech marvel on the launch pad. Powered with standard Estes engines, this adventurer can easily top the 1,000 foot level, then returns safely on a large 18 inch preassembled parachute.

This easy to build, Skill Level 1 rocket is over 2 feet tall! It features quality body tubes, a super big balsa nose cone, laser cut wood fins and easy to apply waterslide decals. This action-packed rocket is great for beginners who are looking for awesome, high altitude performance in a remarkably streamlined rocket! (Estes 2013 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

Estes-Cosmic%20Explorer-2010%20livery.jpg
2010 Catalog

=====​
estes-cosmic%20explorer%202124-2013%20web.jpg
2013 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

estes-cosmic%20explorer%202124-face.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

estes-cosmic%20explorer%202124-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also:
TRF Build Threads

TRF Applicable Threads

LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:

Just finished it yesterday. Everything went fine until part of the decal stayed with the sheet. No amount of soaking could convince it to release. (It's the spot just below the second E in Explorer. I should be able to fix it with the extra red stripes on the sheet, but it still pisses me off.)

I don't suppose anybody has created a sim for this? I can't find one.

Here's my modified Cosmic Explorer, AKA Murphy's Rocket:

photo 2(4).JPG

I'm thinking I will clip the fins a bit. Sims out ok.

Screen shot 2014-11-23 at 10.18.52 AM.jpg

Here's my modified Cosmic Explorer, AKA Murphy's Rocket:

View attachment 248097

I'm thinking I will clip the fins a bit. Sims out ok.

View attachment 248098

How does it fly?

This is my sim attempt. I took careful measurements, but it looks a little off to me. The fins look really big compared to the body.

Cosmic Explorer Sim Attempt.jpg

I had to fudge the curved bits on the fins, too. I'm not sure how to do that.

Edit: The high altitude is because in this sim I bashed it to hold an E9. In my original sim with a C6-5, the simulation gave an altitude of much less than 400 feet, while Estes claims this goes about 600, I think. Makes me wonder if I got the measurements wrong.

Last edited:
How does it fly?

This is my sim attempt. I took careful measurements, but it looks a little off to me. The fins look really big compared to the body.

View attachment 248100

Edit: The high altitude is because in this sim I bashed it to hold an E9. In my original sim with a C6-5, the simulation gave an altitude of much less than 400 feet, while Estes claims this goes about 600, I think. Makes me wonder if I got the measurements wrong.

Haven't flown it yet. Cold and snowy here. I suppose I could have done it Saturday or this coming Saturday...

The fins are awfully big, but yours look a bit large. To get a curve you have to add lots of points in free form, and it was close.

When I run my sim on the Cosmic Explorer, I get 600 + on a C6-5:
Screen shot 2014-12-02 at 11.10.04 PM.jpg

What did you use for materials in your sim? I usually start with the simple model rocket demo example, and modify it until it's close. I had to change fins to balsa, use cardboard for tube, etc.

Here are the modified Murphy's Rocket, with a stock Cosmic Explorer and a Flutter-By:

Rockets.jpg

Video of 1st Murphy Flight:

[video]https://youtu.be/LbBp6kmzsAk[/video]

How does it fly?

View attachment 248100

I've got a tutorial on how to make your fins match the actual kit's fins.

I've got to say, I like the lines on this little rocket... If I only had a scanner and more time to work on my own sims of it.

IMG_3813_CROP.jpg

Just completed this build. Added a baffle to the coupler, and now I am waiting for good weather to fly.

Back