Noris Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Daddy...you weren't kidding when you said you were going to break out the ol green putty for sanding! looks pretty cool! this looks like a rocket that Hauptmann Kitty has requested you to build. Are you working on a way to jettison the nose cone and launch small rockets at B-17 formations? can't wait to see the paint scheme!

The basis for good technique is to have a clean and organized work area with plenty of room for a cutting pad and lots of light.

View attachment 174732

Where's Waldo? I mean Where's the Natter?

Pre beauty school pics:

View attachment 174733View attachment 174734

All new and bright blue the chubby little Natter reminds me of fat old Goering in his horrid light blue uniform. Time for some Dunkle Grun and decals.

View attachment 174735View attachment 174736View attachment 174737

Ta....:) I am looking forward to the challenge, seldom swear or stress ...well hardly ever anyway. I have only ever done a vacuform thing once...ages ago...and it wasnt pretty either.

Jal.....I hereby promise to do a build thread on the Natter that will be exhaustive and peobably very dull so dont blame me if your bored witless by step 2 LOL

You do great build threads and I think you will have a good time with the Noris kit. From the shock of first opening the box and seeing the components and instructions to finally flying the rocket many times and it turning out to be more durable than you first thought.

My first vacuform was the Estes Space Shuttle and the old Testors/Hawk Graf Zeppelin kit back in fourth grade. The only way I put them together was with extreme patience that I cannot replicate as an adult. Don’t sweat the vaccuform on the Natter, it is thick and easy to work with.

Here is something to get you started. Give the parts a quick wash, trace outline with BIC pen, cut out on the line with a sharp Xacto knife leaving the ridge, cut out the scrap tabs with scissors, rough up glue areas with coarse sand paper, get out the Testors and glue on the tabs. Then glue the haves together putting glue on the tabs and exposed ridges. End of step One and that is as far as I got before I got GOTCHYA’D. Good Luck!

Daddy...you weren't kidding when you said you were going to break out the ol green putty for sanding! looks pretty cool! this looks like a rocket that Hauptmann Kitty has requested you to build. Are you working on a way to jettison the nose cone and launch small rockets at B-17 formations? can't wait to see the paint scheme!

You have to leave a ridge to glue on in addition to the tabs then sand it down for strength. It is not a perfect fit so you have to gob on green putty and level it out. Better to use a bit too much and sand then not to use enough. Lots of sanding, lots of mess but it will turn out OK with out a ton of work. Put on two coats with more work and it can be perfect.

The Hauptmann was so pleased with the Natter and my forgetting to close off the doggie door he brought a big, half eaten rabbit into the house for me and the rest of his pride. Not so good with white carpet.

I think there is enough room for a parachute man after the first flight. Would have to upscale for nose blow rockets, but BP motors make good nose weight and they would not need to light all at the same time.

The paint job is just about done. I am hoping to launch this weekend if everything works out.

Ta....:) I am looking forward to the challenge, seldom swear or stress ...well hardly ever anyway. I have only ever done a vacuform thing once...ages ago...and it wasnt pretty either.

Jal.....I hereby promise to do a build thread on the Natter that will be exhaustive and peobably very dull so dont blame me if your bored witless by step 2 LOL

I very much look forward to it! thanks!

Could someone correct the name in the title to Noris please :)

With a real B 17 flying overhead the Natter flew on Saturday. A Natter in the air at the same time with a B-17, never happened until now. The Natter went up, did a couple of rolls and then leveled off and flew like an airplane during the long burn phase of the E 12 -4. Didn't get a whole lot of height and was nose down on ejection. On an E 12 6 it would have crashed. A D12 3 would have been better. Maybe an E15 - 4 composite? Pad Fuhrer doesn't like the idea of an F 24 - 4 with the card stock wings. The best I can hope for is more quick power to keep it spinning on the way up.

Pre-launch pics.

Natter 19.jpgNatter 21.jpgNatter 22.jpgNatter 23.jpg

El Prseidente not impressed with the shoulder length on the German Kit.

Attachments

• Natter Ron.jpg
    Natter Ron.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:
Having some trouble with the photos but here is the Hauptmann inspecting the initial paint job. He did not like the fact that I interrupted his relaxation time which is 95% of his day. He did however, insist on a nice dark spine with spots on either side. He said that is the way he likes them,

Natter 2.jpgNatter 1.jpg

He then showed everyone who is Boss.

WOW !!! That came out looking schon - schon - well done you :)

Did you spray that camo on or hand paint her ? Either way it came out looking great an amazing good job there and thanks for sharing thpose pics. Love your cat too :)

WOW !!! That came out looking schon - schon - well done you :)

Did you spray that camo on or hand paint her ? Either way it came out looking great an amazing good job there and thanks for sharing thpose pics. Love your cat too :)

I just glopped on the Testors straight out of the bottle then did a matte clear coat. The Noris Vostok and Ariane fly great. The Soyuz OK at best, and the Natter not so good. But they look good.

I just glopped on the Testors straight out of the bottle then did a matte clear coat. The Noris Vostok and Ariane fly great. The Soyuz OK at best, and the Natter not so good. But they look good.

You ought to be ashamed of yourself!

I ought to issue a temporary ban for inflicting feelings of inadequacy on the rest of us!

In all seriousness, I am very impressed. You have done an outstanding job.

If you can sand some green putty, spread some sanding sealer, basic primer and paint, then the Natter is not that hard to finish. Put on the decals on and put lots of little glops of paint on around them. That paint job is a bit spotty, but that is OK. It is easy and all hand done. The Soyuz is much harder to finish.

Used the new Krylon high fill primer. Tamaya light blue paint (expensive but worth it.) Testors RLM Dark Green right out of the bottle, nice and thick. Red Pactra tape and Stuka decals. The silver leaf paint is from the hardware store.

Another somewhat wobbly flight and the Natter might face a banning like the Spaceship One E.

Daddy! she turned out fantastic!!!

With a real B 17 flying overhead the Natter flew on Saturday. A Natter in the air at the same time with a B-17, never happened until now. The Natter went up, did a couple of rolls and then leveled off and flew like an airplane during the long burn phase of the E 12 -4. Didn't get a whole lot of height and was nose down on ejection. On an E 12 6 it would have crashed. A D12 3 would have been better. Maybe an E15 - 4 composite? Pad Fuhrer doesn't like the idea of an F 24 - 4 with the card stock wings. The best I can hope for is more quick power to keep it spinning on the way up.

Pre-launch pics.

View attachment 175434View attachment 175435View attachment 175436View attachment 175437

El Prseidente not impressed with the shoulder length on the German Kit.

ahh the Hauptmann relaxes next to his Natter. He has the look of a fighter pilot...one that hangs with the likes of Hanna Reitsch and Gunther Rall...the stories he must be able to tell!!

Having some trouble with the photos but here is the Hauptmann inspecting the initial paint job. He did not like the fact that I interrupted his relaxation time which is 95% of his day. He did however, insist on a nice dark spine with spots on either side. He said that is the way he likes them,

View attachment 175439View attachment 175438

He then showed everyone who is Boss.

Back