Software to design my "Rocket Shop".

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RandyM

Reaction score
Well, I finally bought a new house and have room in the back to finally build a dedicated rocket shop. I will need to get a building permit since it will be bigger than 8 x 8 and to do that, you need to have a plan.

I've looked at a few different packages, but haven't found anything that will work for me. I need something that will draw a basic floor plan and elevations.

Years ago I used a program that was made by Softkey (I think that's right anyway) that did just that and it was only around $20. If I could find the disk, I'm sure it would still do what I want to do, but I'm sure it is long gone.

Anyone know of something out there that is easy to use and cheap if not free?

Graph paper, a scale rule, a pencil and your unending imagination :rolleyes:

Don't take it the wrong way. I'm old school and have turned in numerous "prints" to the building department in this fashion. If that doesn't suit you, try
floorplanner.com. I had a client from out of country present me her designs with this free program.

Thanks for the replies. I really don't have the skill to use pencil and paper. I was looking for software that is smarter than me when it comes to designing a building. Building it is easy, designing it isn't, at least for me.

Floorplan is ok, but only gives you the option of a hip roof. It didn't really suit me. Google Skechup looks like ti has a fairly high learning curve.

I did a little more digging and found just the program I was looking for. It's called Garage Designer. It was $30, but well worth it. I had the basic layout including prints in under a half hour.

https://www.bighammersoftware.com/products/garage.aspx

Back