1/4" launch lug for MMX body tube?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onesureshot

Reaction score
I searched a bit, but could not find anything about this. I ordered a package of six, 6" long 1/4" launch lugs by LOC Precision, but only needed one of them, so the other five got tossed in the parts box.

I was cutting some of the 1/4 launch lug tubing, it dawned on me that it would fit the MMX motors just about perfectly.

It is pretty thick cardboard tubing, but it does not seem that heavy. Has anyone ever used it to build MMX rockets? I was thinking of making a few downscales using it and turning nose cones out of a 3/8" dowel. Not sure what the weights would come in as, but know to keep it in the 10 gram range.

Sure; why not? Many different things can be used for MicroMaxx body tubing. Take the barrel of a white Bic Round Stik pen, for instance. It is just about ideal polystyrene body tubing for MicroMaxx rockets. So I don't see any reason why you couldn't use 1/4" LOC launch lugs for that purpose too. Standard spiral-wound, 0.013" wall body tubing in that size is called either T2+ or BT-2.5. It is available from BMS, ASP, FlisKits and possibly other vendors.

Sure; why not? Many different things can be used for MicroMaxx body tubing. Take the barrel of a white Bic Round Stik pen, for instance. It is just about ideal polystyrene body tubing for MicroMaxx rockets. So I don't see any reason why you couldn't use 1/4" LOC launch lugs for that purpose too. Standard spiral-wound, 0.013" wall body tubing in that size is called either T2+ or BT-2.5. It is available from BMS, ASP, FlisKits and possibly other vendors.

Ditto Marks reply. Loc lugs may be a bit harder to finish but They've been used in the past many time.

Well I slapped together a Micro Skeeter last night and took it for a test drive today just to see what it would do. Let me say that as my first MMX experience, I was happy as can be. It weighs less than 2 grams without the motor, so I was curious how high it would go. As little as it is, it disappeared in the sky. I figured it would be a loss, but then I heard it come through a nearby tree. When I picked it up, the second pic is what I found. Pretty funny.

I did not do the best job finishing it and did not get the scale perfect, as I was hurrying to get it finished last night.

My 4 year old son loved it. We also launched a Bic Stic and another one we made out of a full 6 inch long lug.

For nose cones I chucked up some 3/8 inch dowel and turned them using a file and sandpaper to get close to the shape I wanted.

I need to figure out a better way to track these little guys. I watched the Bic Stic come down ballistic and could only think it would stick you pretty good if it hit you.

Mosquito.jpg

MMX Mosquito recovered.jpg

Bic Stic rocket.jpg

Neato! I've built and lost many MMX Mosquitos, I can seldom find them after the first launch. Luckily you can whip one up out of scraps and printer paper in a few minutes. You can print the body wraps then form the tube on a 1/4 dowel or drill bit.

VERY nicely done. Those ll look great! I've found that you pretty much either love flying mmx or hate it -in the rocketry community, ther doesn't seem to be many who fall in between. Glad you're enjoying the "mmx bug"! :D

Great looking Models!

Best way to ensure getting them back is to include a Shockline and Streamer which helps tremendously in spotting the models on the way down.

Tumble recovery is OK if they are very light weight. Pens can also benifit for the addition of a shockcord and streamer. Below is the way I modified Art Applywhites original Bic Stick plan to add these items.

Teflon Plumbers tape in 1/2" or 3/4" width after a good Talc baby powder rubbing both sides Makes PERFECT permanent wadding/streamer for these little guys. McMaster-Carr and other places sell Colored slightly thicker Military grade PTFE (Teflon) tapes in a variety of widths from 1/4" to 2" in 4 mutted colors Red,Orange,Yellow & Green.

View attachment MM 258c_Bic Stic Pen Revised Dwg & inst_06-15-02.pdf

Teflon Tapes-sm_.5in to 2in Streamer tapes_06-02-04.jpg

Teflon Streamer attachment-a_Cut to length_04-17-11.JPG

Teflon Streamer Attachment-b_stretch 2 edges_04-17-11.JPG

Teflon Streamer Attachment-c_ knot to shockline_04-17-11.JPG

Last edited:
Back