MTN brand spray paints?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAKingsGeek

Reaction score
So I was wandering around Los Feliz village in Los Angeles the other day when I stumbled into a small independent art store. I figured I'd check to see if they have some useful supplies for rocket building.

Turns out they had a TON of spray paint, almost all from a brand called MTN. It's clearly designed for graffiti or "street art" as the cool kids call it. Anyone have any experience with this stuff?

The color selection is phenomenal but I'm not sure if it would be any good for rockets. Their "94" line of matte paints has 147 colors! The Alien line has 70 satin colors!

I'm relatively new to rockets and painting in general so I have no idea what to look for in a spray paint other than the general wisdom around here being lacquer is better than enamel. Their website is mtncolors.com if anyone with a bit more knowledge would like to do some research.

Last edited:
I'm relatively new to spray painting, so take this with a grain of salt. I tried the MTN Hardcore and the color was beautiful, but I found the paint really hard to get a nice smooth finish. Really amazing coverage though, lots of pigment in that paint. I tried a couple different nozzles and the narrower ones seem to work a little better at producing a finer mist, whereas the wider ones left me with quite a bit of orange peel. I should have left it because the color I was using was ORANGE and it looked kinda cool, but after all it is a rocket.

Anyway, just my experience.

I'm relatively new to spray painting, so take this with a grain of salt. I tried the MTN Hardcore and the color was beautiful, but I found the paint really hard to get a nice smooth finish. Really amazing coverage though, lots of pigment in that paint. I tried a couple different nozzles and the narrower ones seem to work a little better at producing a finer mist, whereas the wider ones left me with quite a bit of orange peel. I should have left it because the color I was using was ORANGE and it looked kinda cool, but after all it is a rocket.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll just have to give it a try. Love those colors.

I bought the caps to replace some Rustoleum ones that got plugged up. The replacement caps worked fine. I got Fat and Thin caps, plus an "assortment pack". I've really only used the fat and thin, for paints that the cap got plugged due to use error. They worked fine.

I haven't used any of the paints sold at that site (nor have I bought any of the apparel they sell :eek:

Marc

So maybe the slight orange peel effect on mine was due to the paint and not the humidity...

What was the weather like when you were painting?

Back