MicroMaxx Questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WizardOfAZ

Reaction score
Just a few quick questions.

1. What is the max weight that a MMX motor can handle stable?
2. Are tumbles more common, or streamers? Does anyone use chutes? :D
3. What kind of altitude does a standard (kit) MMX attain?
4. Are there any MMX specific events? Local? National?
5. Where is the best place to view photos of some good MMX rockets?

Thanks!

1. i cant remember micromeister has it down a science tho
2. Generally i leave the streamers out of my models and just eject the nc and let it tumble
3.a few feet to barely visible
4. i believe the nar has 1/8th a class that is for mmxII motors
5. the galleries just type in mmx or micromax, micromeister's are def the majority and all very well put together.

1. I'd say the upper limit is about 14 grams and it's not going very high at that weight.

2. Nose blow recovery works fine in most cases but you have to consider that these are small rockets and can be hard to find in even a few inches of grass. A little bit of streamer can make it easier to spot in the air and on the ground.

3. I've never built an MMX kit but many of my scratch builds go several hundred feet high.

4.NAR does allow for 1/8A competition classes. I've flown in a 1/8A streamer duratuon contest it was a fun and challenging event. I've also flown MMX in spot landing competitions.

5. TRF is one of the best places to see pics of MMX rockets. The Micro Max forum on yahoo groups is a great resource for all thing MMX.

14-16 grams. Launch in very low wind conditions.

Streamers are very helpful for visibility, but most can just use break-apart or nose blow recovery. The FlisKits Diminutive Deuce is actually large enough to require a streamer, but it is a 2-motor cluster. Parachutes aren't really needed for rockets with such low mass. They are only used in contests.

What is a standard MMX rocket? They are all different, and small differences have noticeable effects on performance. But 60' to 100' flights are common. That may not sound like much, but remember: these are very tiny rockets.

1/8A (MicroMaxx are the only motors that qualify in this category) is an established class in NAR contests. You can see what events are flown in 1/8A by reviewing this document.

Galleries:

Aerospace Speciality Products (ASP)
Micro Hawk
Micro Jayhawk

Art Applewhite
Bic Stik

FlisKits
Three's A Charm
Buckshot
Dead Ringer
Doo-Hickey
Honest John
Mudwasp
Stinger
TOG

Last edited:
Just a few quick questions.

1. What is the max weight that a MMX motor can handle stable?
2. Are tumbles more common, or streamers? Does anyone use chutes? :D
3. What kind of altitude does a standard (kit) MMX attain?
4. Are there any MMX specific events? Local? National?
5. Where is the best place to view photos of some good MMX rockets?

Thanks!

1) * Best performance will be from micro models with Empty wights between 1 and 7grams.
*Decent altitudes will be had from models 7.1 to about 12grams. IT IS BEST to shoot for micro models 10grams and under;)
*OK flights in the 20-35foot range can be had from models in the 12.1 to about 17grams range depending on Frontal area as well as mass.
*Over 17grams is frankly a crap shoot as to weather the model will clear the rod. Heavies single motor model I've flown and had a successful recovery from had a lift off weight of 18.5grams. any model over 12-14grams should only be flown vertically regardless of wind conditions. Incidentally Micro do not like breezy conditions....10mph is about their max wind tolerance.

2) Personally I use Streamers in nearly all my Micro Models for two reasons. First and foremost it sets a better example for everyone if our models contain some form of POSITIVE recovery system. Second Streamers Greatly aid in Seeing returning models making recovery Much more certain even in fairly high grass and weeds. My personal Streamer materal of choice is Teflon Plumbers tape and the slightly thicker military grades that come in colors that are Flameproof so they act as permanent Wadding and Recovery Streamer.
These Teflon Streamers need a good talc baby powder coating before the first fold/rolling and a bit of re-sprinkling after every other flight or so to help them unroll easily at ejection.
Chutes are also used often Generally made from Drycleaner very thin Plastic or 1/4mil mirrored mylar. I've used Chutes as small as 1-1/2" but have found 3", 4", 5", 6", 8" and 10" are the most useful with some of the heavier micros. I almost always use 2strand 26lb kevlar shroud lines with mylar Tape dics or mirror Chrome trim monokote tape disc. Chutes are almost always used in my Clustered Micro Models.

3)Altitude is directly affected by the Body dia and overall mass of the model. Model is the .5 to 7gram LOWT range can reach 100 to over 260feet. The NAR current single motor 1/8A Altitude record and the 2x1/8A cluster altutude record are 82m or (269feet). These altitudes are limited more by the .854s average delay then by the power of the motor. I've had Tracked and closed micor models well over 300 feet on the older MMX-1 motor that had a slightly longer delay.
Model in the 7 to 12 grams range can usually expect 60 to 120feet again depending on Frontal area and overall mass.

4) Yes: the NAR has included the 1/8A motor class in nearly all it's Competition events (Pink book) We've even currently have a Pee-Wee Payload 1/8A evert using a 3.5gram standard payload as a provisional event.. If we can get enough NAR sections flying this event it will be added as a contest event in the next couple years. Currently the only events not covered is some sort of Eggloft event but we're looking at that also.

5) Well That's sort of what this Micro Maxx forum is all about. We also have a Micro Maxx Gallery that currently contain at least 190 or so differentl Micor models.
If you're looking for lots of different peoples models I'd strongly suggest joining us over on the yahoo group. Once you've joins the group there are a ton of photos in the PHOTOS Files in Albums by the various owners. You'll also find in the files secion over 150 one-page Plans for Downscale Classics, Competition, Odd-Rocs, Plastic model conversions, Scale, Micro Gliders and all kinds of Ground support equipment, Launchers, igniter tests and Night Launch micros. If it's being done in Model Rocketry it's being flown in Micros. The FAQ files contain info on just about all things micro.
Hope this helps.

Back