12 y.o. daughter wants to build a rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

themoz

Reaction score
Hello All:

I'm new to this forum and rocketry.

My 12 year old daughter is taking a technology education class in middle school and they just built "bottle rockets" in class made from a plastic bottle filled with hot water and air. She got really jazzed about rockets and now wants to build a model rocket. Thought this would be a cool "daddy daughter" project. :cool:

I'd appreciate any input on the model/type/class of rockets, engines, manufacturers, etc. that would be appropriate for her at this age and skill level. I'd be helping with the project and am sure her 8 year old brother won't allow himself to be left out either. ;)

She's a smart kid so I want to challenge her but not overwhelm. I'm a pretty geeky, handyman type myself. :grin: We live in the Denver area if that matters.

I'll take any other input/advice anyone whats to give.

Thanks in advance.

themoz

Quest "Novia" is a good starter. Small, good performance with small engines, enough parts to challenge a little, and it's $8 CDN. Dirt cheap.

For the little rockets, I look towards Quest more than Estes. Estes makes fine kits, but I find that the lower end kits can be a bit sloppy with fit of parts. Quest is considerably better.

On the larger kits, both Estes and Quest are pretty much dead even.

I started building the Quest Novia in second grade, and an Estes Hi-Flier in first grade. Both were good kits, but the Novia was better quality for its price. The first rocket I built by myself was in fifth grade, and it was a Quest Superbird. Another great kit, but for when they get better at building.

Unless she really thrives on challenging projects or detailed building, I wouldn't worry about the challenge part quite yet. I'd just let her get something built and get to the good part (the launching!) ASAP. What I've found is that when kids get hooked they naturally will gravitate towards more challenging kits.

If you don't already have a launcher, an Estes starter set can be a good way to go, especially if you have a Hobby Lobby nearby and can use a 40% coupon.

I've really like Fliskits Thingamajig for a starter kit. It goes together quickly due to the fin design and flies well. But don't let the fact that it's simple rule it out for your daughter--a number of grown-ups around here have one for themselves.

https://fliskits.com/products/01prod_fs.htm

My daughter's first rocket was white with pink and purple stripes, and hot pink glitter. :)

Welcome aboard--we'll await your build and launch report!

I've done a bit of both (water rockets) and mostly model rockets, and there is a little bit of difference between the two. If you're just starting out with model rockets (powered by manufactured black powder motors) then there's a slight learning curve compared to the much simpler water rockets.

A good place to start is a 40% off coupon from Hobby Lobby's website and a visit to their store's rocketry department (usually the next aisle over from the plastic model kits). Find a STARTER KIT that tickles her fancy, pick up a bottle of white glue (not school glue- Elmer's Glue All is much better) and follow the directions. You'll get a launch controller, laund pad and rod, and the kit. Pick up a package or two of rocket motors from Hobby Lobby while your there (located next to the kits-- get ones recommended on the starter set box labeling).

To learn more about rocketry, you've come to the right place! There's also a lot of great information on Ye Olde Rocket Forum (YORF) and Rocketry Planet (RP). I'd also suggest that if you and your daughter want to learn more about rocketry and really get into it, pick up a copy (or borrow from the library) and read "The Handbook of Model Rocketry" by G. Harry Stine. It's pretty much the "Bible" of model rocketry-- everything you ever wanted to know is pretty much in there.

Also, check out the National Association of Rocketry website and look for local clubs you can go out and watch a launch or fly with. LOTS of good friendly folks nearby with lots of neat projects and rockets to fly-- fun times! Plus, if you don't have a lot of open spaces nearby, flying off their field solves a few problems... :)

Good luck to you and your daughter... My daughter Keira is six and just finished her first build, (and build thread I might add!) with Daddy's help and she had a blast... now if it would just rain enough to lift the burn bans so we can FLY... :) Here's Keira's build thread-- kinda walks one through a simple but fun kit from Dr. Zooch Rockets... :)

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=26606

Good luck and have fun! OL JR :)

Good point on the starter set: if your daughter builds a rocket, she is going to want to have some way to launch it. The starter set include a launch pad along with the ignition wiring you need to get the rocket safely in the air.

Many Estes starter sets include "ready to fly" rockets, where all you have to do is insert a motor and parachute wadding, set up the pad and you are good to go.

Many hard-core rocketeers who are more into the "craft" aspect of the hobby tend to look down on the "RTF" rockets as being "kids stuff" but they are a good way for the stone-cold beginner to learn how a rocket basically works and learn how to get one in the air.

Most of the manufacturers mentioned -- Estes, Quest, Flis and many more -- have some very simple introductory models (such as the Estes E2X series) which are quite easy to put together (as long as you follow the directions!! :y: )

There are plenty of model rocketeers your daughter's age and younger (I started when I was a couple years younger than her -- 40+ years ago. I was just about the age of her brother).

If she is pretty smart and you are a handyman-type who knows his way around a workshop, building a couple introductory-level rockets should not be a huge challenge.

But once you get that first one in the air there is an incredible variety of more complex rockets for any "challenge level" you may want to try.

As Luke Strawwalker suggests above, you are in near-rocketry nirvana in the Denver area with several active local clubs who can give you tons of info and hold regular launches -- you could probably drop in on one and see some of the many different types of rockets different rocketeers get into.

Good luck. My 5-(well almost 6)-year-old twin nieces are talking about launching their own rockets next spring!!

I also recommend one of the Estes starter kits as you get everything you need with the possible exception of motors. Quest make something similar, so either one of these would be good.

If the starter kit comes without motors check the box for the recommended motors and get at least one package of the SMALLEST motor. Until you learn how high the rocket goes and how to deal with wind and other recovery problems you want to fly low.

Walmart and other big box stores sometimes sell starter kits. Hobby Lobby or Michaels and their 40% off coupons can't be beat for getting started. We have some awesome vendors with great kits if you decide to get into the hobby long term.

Last edited:
themoz,

First, welcome to TRF and to rocketry!

Visit our (FlisKits) selection of beginner kits found here.

Any of these would be perfectly suited for a beginner in the hobby. Extra attention to the dooDad, Whatchamacallit and Thing-a-ma-Jig due to the use of our trademark Jig-Tech laser cut fins (fins won't fall off while the glue dries and you can't put them on crooked).

As for ground support equipment, if you like building things consider making your own simple set up like this.

Good luck to both you AND your daughter :)

Since Jim has jumped in and tooted his own horn I will second his recommendation. Fliskits are fantastic kits. I have several in my fleet and several in my build queue. I design and build a lot of my own designs, but I can't resist a good Fliskit once in a while.

Something else to consider would be hooking up with the local club, Northern Colorado Rocketry.

This way, while your daughter launches her rocket, she can also see and enjoy what others are up to.

-Kevin

What I've found is that when kids get hooked they naturally will gravitate towards more challenging kits.

I second that. My daughter started in rocketry when she was 6 with Estes stuff that I helped her build. She's now 10 and building 29mm motor rockets on her own. We had launch gear, so a starter set wasn't needed, but I agree it would be a good purchase if you don't have one. (The components in a starter set are a MUCH better value than individually purchased.) And join a local club... you'll both meet like-minded people and make good friends.

IMGP3290.jpg

Last edited:
Hello All:

I'm new to this forum and rocketry.

My 12 year old daughter is taking a technology education class in middle school and they just built "bottle rockets" in class made from a plastic bottle filled with hot water and air. She got really jazzed about rockets and now wants to build a model rocket. Thought this would be a cool "daddy daughter" project. :cool:

I'd appreciate any input on the model/type/class of rockets, engines, manufacturers, etc. that would be appropriate for her at this age and skill level. I'd be helping with the project and am sure her 8 year old brother won't allow himself to be left out either. ;)

She's a smart kid so I want to challenge her but not overwhelm. I'm a pretty geeky, handyman type myself. :grin: We live in the Denver area if that matters.

I'll take any other input/advice anyone whats to give.

Thanks in advance.

themoz

At 12yo just about anything in the model rocket category would be appropriate for her. Get her just about any starter set, either from Estes or Quest, add a couple of other rockets such as a Big Bertha, or really any "skill level 1" kit that she takes a fancy to. Take an afternoon to fly them with various size motors. If she does well with those, do a couple of skill level 2 rockets, and see where her interests go from there.

I'm not a fan of introducing rocketry to kids younger than 8 (due to attention span and skill issues), but, at 8, if he's interested in what she's doing, get him a kit as well and see how he does.

I'll second or third looking at the Thing-a-ma-jig. as her first "build it" construction model rocket. It's interlocking fin plan is wonderful for first time glue up construction. totally self aligning an makes and awful good looking model as well! One or two picture is often worth more then a thousand words;)

I wouldn't worry much about the Challenge at this point, It's really all about the Woosh for now. Perhaps either a Quest or Estes almost ready to fly starter set with a couple packs of A8-3 and B6-4 motors to start well get the excitement going.
Also If you can find and join or at least attend an area Model rocket club launch. an NAR Section would probly be better than a HPR prefecture at this point tho both "should" be able to welcome your LRP models with open arms.

463lp01e-sm_TAMG 1st Flt B-PD 4-pic_03-24-07.jpg

463a-sm_Thing-A-Ma-Jig (Fliskit) _03-01-07.jpg

Edmonds Aerospace has the CiCi and the Tinee. These are boost gliders that are incredibly easy to build, require no finishing or painting or sanding, and fly great with no trimming. They are very inexpensive kits and need no wadding, parachute folding, or streamer rolling.

They can be decorated with magic markers just for kicks.

Caveat for Colorado is that they are engine eject models so not a good choice if there is a burn ban going.

These are a nice change from the three fins and a nose cone, and more satisfying than the already built or nearly already built kits.

Hello All:

My 12 year old daughter is taking a technology education class in middle school and they just built "bottle rockets" in class made from a plastic bottle filled with hot water and air. She got really jazzed about rockets and now wants to build a model rocket.

themoz

Unless she really thrives on challenging projects or detailed building, I wouldn't worry about the challenge part quite yet. I'd just let her get something built and get to the good part (the launching!) ASAP. What I've found is that when kids get hooked they naturally will gravitate towards more challenging kits.
Once you get her (and her school) hooked on rockets ask her school to consider TARC www.rocketcontest.org - maybe not this year but in upcoming years, it is a great STEM challenge for kids - 7th - 12th grade

Last edited:
Back