Sheri's Mercury Redstone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I once launched a Com-3 D-A-A. The sustainer failed to ignite but came down slowly and horizontally with a little bit of spin. Fun to watch and seperated one fin on the bounce.

I've never owned a Mosquito.

The SHR Redstone is the only one one of that line I could afford, but I have no plans to buy one.

I got back an Estes Redstone flown on an E18, but that's not important right now.

JAL3 Did you ever fly this one again? If you did and it was a disaster and you can't talk about it just reply with a frown. I am looking for some inspiration to fly mine again.

Its still about 2 work sessions shy of being done. I need to finish it and fly it but have been working on other things instead.

I dusted off my Sheri's Mercury Redstone this weekend and flew it with a 29mm G64W-M.

I'd have to say this was the best flight to date. The first flight had issues with the tower snapping off due to a short delay deployment. The second flight also had a short delay deployment (threw away the remaining Aerotech delay grain). That flight the booster separated but fell flat causing minor damage.

Yesterdays flight was perfect. The capsule had its own chute and there was no damage at all. :)

Flyout.jpg

I really need to finish mine!

I just need to find the time.

The DARS Fall Classic had a NASA Spaceships competition. It was not a NAR contest, it was just a popular vote beauty contest. I entered my Liberty Bell 7.

LB7-f1-a.jpg

After putting so much work into the rebuild, I decided to give the body and capsule separate chutes this time. I also fashioned a yoke to bring the capsule down horizontally.

I loaded it with a G80-4 and set it up on the rail.

LB7-f1-b.jpg

LB7-f1-c.jpg

LB7-f1-d.jpg

LB7-f1-e.jpg

It really had a great flight with plenty of cheers from the crowd.

LB7-f1-g.jpg

LB7-f1-h.jpg

LB7-f1-i.jpg

Ejection was perfect and both chutes deployed. That meant trouble. I had been so intent on things, I failed to consider the very strong wind. Both pieces stayed together but drifted a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong way. With help, I managed to get a bearing for where they disappeared over the horizon.

The blue chute on the capsule was not such a bright idea either.

LB7-f1-j.jpg

LB7-f1-k.jpg

LB7-f1-l.jpg

LB7-f1-m.jpg

I started my hike and found the body at the far end of the next field. There was no sign of the capsule. I gave up on it and started trudging back to the launch area, all the time thinking about commissioning a Redstone missile nose cone from Roachwerks.

Long after I got back, another flyer handed me the capsule and its chute. He had been looking for his own and saw mine come down. He took a GPS reading and it was about 3 miles downrange.

The capsule and the tower were fine. The can on top of the LES and 2 nozzles were gone. I still have not decided what to do with it.

LB7-f1-n.jpg

LB7-f1-o.jpg

You have built a lead pipe - bullet proof tower. Now the rocket gods are calling you to finish the quest and build a totally bullet proof LES. The hardened SHR Redstone fliers do not give up, they rebuild and fly again. . . and mine, after that last flight, is still sitting on the shelf of shame. The video made for a crash highlight on the COSROC's web site. All I could do is say "Curse you Sherri" while picking up the little bits of racing orange plastic scattered in the dirt just off the range, with in full view of the crowd.

You have built a lead pipe - bullet proof tower. Now the rocket gods are calling you to finish the quest and build a totally bullet proof LES. The hardened SHR Redstone fliers do not give up, they rebuild and fly again. . . and mine, after that last flight, is still sitting on the shelf of shame. The video made for a crash highlight on the COSROC's web site. All I could do is say "Curse you Sherri" while picking up the little bits of racing orange plastic scattered in the dirt just off the range, with in full view of the crowd.

I have to admit, I was kind of looking forward to converting it to a Redstone missile. Less angst.

When the nice fellow showed up after having found the capsule, I have a case of the guilties for still considering the conversions since my excuse has evaporated. At least this repair should be easy...er.

It looks like a launched a few rockets over the weekend. Good for you, I hope it was as fun as it looks.

Back