Estes - Rogue (#0818) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
One of the kids I flew with had one of these. (But he insisted on calling it the "Rouge".) If I'd gotten to JC Penney Toyland fifteen minutes sooner, it would have been mine.:cool: I cloned a big one with the PNC-55 cone, but eventually broke down and ordered the parts from BMS for a proper 1:1 clone.

EstesRogueonporch.jpg

EstesRogueonBigFootlauncher.jpg

EstesRogueatQuarklaunch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This one was a contest prize from EMRR. One of the best picks I ever made. Great build experience that everyone should try at least once and a SICK :D flier on an Estes E.:cool:

252.jpg

255.jpg

Next up is my Rogue. The build was easy; the decoration, not so much. Applying long, thin decals along the long axis of the tube so that they are straight, and getting them to remain adhered, are not easy tasks. It's a good thing that Excelsior provides extras in the set, because I needed them. Thank God for Micro Sol!

Front and rear shots shown. Look at the fin decals to see the difference.

Estes%252520Rogue%252520Mini%252520Brute%2525202-1.jpg
Estes%252520Rogue%252520Mini%252520Brute%2525201-1.jpg

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• Estes Rogue Mini Brute 2-2.jpg
    Estes Rogue Mini Brute 2-2.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 62
  • Estes Rogue Mini Brute 1-3.jpg
    Estes Rogue Mini Brute 1-3.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 70
OK, it's not Estes but it's Q Modelling clone of the Estes, hope that's ok. Flies on E and F engines. First flight was on an E20- econojet which went ok but afterward I lengthened the shock cord and added a nomex sleeve.

2012-05-21_19-16-17_780.jpg

Welcome to the Estes Rogue (#0818) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes Rogue (#0818) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: Rogue: #0818
QModelling: Rogue
Thrustline: Rogue: TACL-038

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes Rogue (#0818) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Rogue Also known as:

NUMBER: #0818

Introduced: 1973
Final Year: 1982
Designer:

Type: Sport, Pseudo-Scale
Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 11.7"
Diameter: 0.736"
Span:
Weight: 0.75 oz

Mfg. Description: Sounding research vehicle. A scale-like appearance with authentic decor. Excellent for sport flying has super performance. (Estes 1973 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-rogue%200818-1973%20cat.jpg
1973 Catalog

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
QModelling Rogue Basic Information.

qmodeling.gif
QModelling

MODEL NAME: Rogue Also known as: Mega Rogue

NUMBER:

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Pseudo-Scale, Upscale
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Length: 29"
Diameter: 1.637"
Span: 9.88"
Weight: 5.8 oz

Mfg. Description: The ROGUE is one of QModeling's top quality sports class model rocket kits. The ROGUE is a large scale recreation of the ½ A Estes™ Rogue. The original Rouge torched the skies in the late 1970's.

QModeling has created a MEGA BT-60 version of this classic that enables the use of both D and E size (24mm) rocket motors for spectacular high altitude launches. The ROGUE is a 2.22:1 MEGA scale of the original Rogue making it over 29 inches tall. Combined with QModeling's high quality laser cut parts and renowned easy step-by-step instructions your own ROGUE could be breaking altitude records in no time.

QModeling's ROGUE comes with a their unique Engine Mount eliminating annoying Primary Fin alignment problems while providing a very robust easy to build design. The kit includes QModeling's BT-60-TAP Nose Cone produced from their high quality nose cone liquid plastic process. The kit comes with a painting stencil that can optionally be used instead of the provided Primary Fin “33” Decal. This is another example of QModeling listening to customers in order to improve the overall quality of their kits.

Like the other MRS kits, QModeling has broken the deployment barrier by offering a wad-less high performance Recovery System based on a partnership with Top Flight Recovery. It consists of an 18” Octagon, Thin Mil, Ripstop Nylon Parachute with sewn in 24” Nylon shroud lines, Nomex® 5” x 5” Heat Shield Parachute Protector, 9’ Kevlar® Shock Cord, and a Snap Swivel. Now there is no need to search out any after market recovery system components, because QModeling builds top quality into all aspects of their kits.
Features

True Scale MEGA Replica of the Original Classic
Over 29" Tall
Authentic Nose Cone
Laser Cut Parts
Designed to use D, E, or F Size (24mm) Engines
Foil lined Engine Mount Tube for long life
Robust Interlocking Design
18” Octagon, Thin Mil, Ripstop Nylon Parachute
5” x 5” Nomex® Chute Protector
9’ Kevlar® Shock Cord
Snap Swivel
Detailed Step-by-Step Instructions (QModelling 2006 Web Ad)

Advertising Liveries

qmodelling-rogue-2006%20web.jpg
2006 Web Ad

Face Card(s)

qmodelling-rogue-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

qmodelling-rogue-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Thrustline Rogue (TACL-038) Basic Information.

thrustline.gif
Thrustline Aerospace

MODEL NAME: Rogue Also known as:

NUMBER: TACL-038

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Pseudo-Scale, Clone
Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Here's my BT-55 Rogue upscale clone with a 24mm motor mount.

IMG_0413.jpg

Hi - new member here, first post. After an extended break from rocket building, I pulled out my box recently and started up a few kits. One of those was the QModeling Rogue - I bought one for myself and one for my dad back in 2011 (according to the receipt I found) and it's been a fun build. The Rogue was the first rocket I ever built back in the 70's, and I'm partial to it - something about the proportions and color scheme just resonate with me and represent everything awesome about building rockets as a kid. Anyway, I'm not an expert builder, but I've been focusing on learning new techniques and putting them in play. After spending a lot of time working and re-working the orange paint on the Rogue, I was a little hesitant about using the "33" stencil to paint the numbers directly onto the fins, but decided to go for it in the name of learning new things. And I was really impressed with how well it worked - as others have noted it was a great add to the kit. Would be curious to know if there are sources for similar laser cut stencils - either for existing kits or custom designs?

Attachments

• IMG_5597.jpg
    IMG_5597.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5602.jpg
    IMG_5602.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5647.jpg
    IMG_5647.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5649.jpg
    IMG_5649.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Applying long, thin decals along the long axis of the tube so that they are straight, and getting them to remain adhered, are not easy tasks.
I like to add some light pencil tick marks to help keep things lined up. It also helps to keep the surface wet. The surface is a paper tube 😩. Dicey under any circumstances.

IMG_4619_Crop.jpg IMG_4621_Crop.jpg

Cloned Mini Brute. Turned the nose cone on my lathe. I could not find fin patterns, so I scaled them as best as I could.
Decals by the old Excelsior, the one before Gordy ran it.

Back