Estes - (Astron) Cobra (K-10 or #1210) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fishhead

Huge Member
Reaction score
I'd clustered before, but this was my first "as designed" cluster bird.

EstesAstronCobraonpadatVOA.jpg

AstronCobramaidenvoyage.jpg

AstronCobracluster.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks great. I remember those in the very old Estes catalogs but I have not seen very many of them. There is something interesting about the large diameter airframe and small diameter payload.

Nice build, Bill! I'm gonna have to build one of those too - clusters are rapidly becoming one of my favorite rocketry activities.

I haven't made it pretty yet; the color you see is Duplicolor black primer. But here is a nice sequence of shots of my Astron Cobra clone when it made its inaugural flight at a CRMRC launch in June 2011. This has been its only launch so far. It became just a barely perceptible speck in the sky on three C6-5s, lit with a triplet of Quest Q2G2 igniters. Wow, are those igniters ever sweet for clustering! A beauty of a flight, if I do say so myself. :D

Photos are by Dave Lang of CRMRC.

markksastroncobraon3c65s%252520-zoomed%252520643x966.jpg
markksastroncobraheadsaloft.jpg

markksastroncobraunderchute.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the Estes - (Astron) Cobra (K-10 or #1210) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Estes - (Astron) Cobra (K-10 or #1210) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Estes: (Astron) Cobra: K-10 or #1210
Thrustline: Cobra: TACL-033

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Estes (Astron) Cobra (K-10 or #1210) Basic Information.

estes.gif
Estes Industries

MODEL NAME: Astron Cobra Also known as: Cobra

NUMBER: K-10 or #1210

Introduced: 1963
Final Year: 1973
Designer: Bill Simon

Type: Sport, Payload, Cluster
Motor Mount: 3x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 22.25"
Diameter: 1.6"
Span:
Weight: 2.5 oz

Mfg. Description: The ideal bird for getting started in clustering, yet challenging to the experienced rocketeer, the Astron Cobra gives you top performance. Medium size payloads (up to four ounces) get a real ride in the Cobra's 1" diameter capsule. Kit comes complete with all parts, instructions and a copy of Technical Report TR-6 on cluster techniques. (Estes 1964 Catalog)

=====

1966 Catalog text identical to 1964 Catalog
1967 Catalog text identical to 1964 Catalog
1968 Catalog text identical to 1964 Catalog

=====

Ideal for your first cluster bird. The Astron Cobra gives you top performance with medium size payloads (to 4 oz) in a 1" dia. capsule. ...complete kit and instructions the TR-6 report of cluster techniques. (less engines) (Estes 1969 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

estes-cobra%20k10-1964%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1964 Catalog
estes-cobra%20k10-1966%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1966 Catalog
estes-cobra%20k10-1967%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1967 Catalog

estes-cobra%20k10-1968%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1968 Catalog
estes-cobra%20k10-1969%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1969 Catalog
estes-cobra%20k10-1970%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1970 Catalog

estes-cobra%20k10-1971%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1971 Catalog
estes-cobra%20k10-1972%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1972 Catalog
estes-cobra%20k10-1973%20cat%20livery.jpg
Estes 1973 Catalog

Face Card(s)

estes-cobra%20k10-facecard.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Thrustline Cobra (TACL-033) Basic Information.

thrustline.gif
Thrustline Aerospace

MODEL NAME: Cobra Also known as:

NUMBER: TACL-033

Introduced:
Final Year:
Designer:

Type: Sport, Cluster, Clone
Motor Mount: 3x18mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length:
Diameter:
Span:
Weight:

Mfg. Description: DESC

Advertising Liveries

Face Card(s)

Instruction Header(s)

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
OK! It's near ready for Freedom Launch. Just a few touch ups and it's a go. The Duplicolor paint color made it a little difficult to to decide how to trim this one out but I'm reasonably happy with it. Yall just wish me luck getting 3 D motors to to fire all at once when I take this bish to Orangeburg.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• Cobra Cropped.jpg
    Cobra Cropped.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my finished Cobra clone:
IMG_3017.jpgIMG_3015.jpgIMG_3013.jpgIMG_3010.jpgIMG_3008.JPGIMG_3007.jpgIMG_3006.JPG

Its built more or less stock, as shown in the early plans with external recovery harness attachment. I did, however, replace the launch lugs with mini buttons and I used a bulkhead in front of the engine mounts to block the openings rather than stuffing it with wadding & glue. I only just finished it, so it won't likely fly until more of the white stuff in the background has gone...

4th of July Launch 2022...

I have one that looks likes yours. Flies great in a limited sized field on B6-4's and with more space C6-5's. I use a static line on mine to save the fins on landing and a lot of folks at large launches don't get the rationale of doing that to save the fins. Nose down tube on descent. Kurt

Good idea on the static line. This flight was on three A8-3s and it did well on that. Two fins got the dinged a little on landing but really minor. It would have been fine but it came down on the only piece of concrete within a quarter mile of the launch. 🤷‍♂️

Good idea on the static line. This flight was on three A8-3s and it did well on that. Two fins got the dinged a little on landing but really minor. It would have been fine but it came down on the only piece of concrete within a quarter mile of the launch. 🤷‍♂️
I use kevlar thread knotted and epoxied through a small hole in one wing. I attach a rubber shock cord to relieve stress and works every time. I make it so the rubber shock cord is replaceable if it begins to look worn. People who have never seen this type of deployment are amazed. I've never a fin on a K10 break doing this. It was mentioned in the instructions in the Cobra in the Vern Estes days when I was in grade school. (Am 65 now so gives the idea this is a really old modality and not new.) Kurt

I made one of these Cobras in the 1970s probably 1973 or 74. I wired up the three motors correctly I’m pretty sure but tried to launch it with a regular Estes launchpad controller and only one of the motors lit. It took off horizontally and landed inside the fence for a large built in swimming pool that was closed for the season. I remember climbing over a tall fence to get in the pool enclosure. I got the Cobra back but have always looked suspiciously at clusters ever since.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back