MicroMaxx in the desert

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mosquito_guy

Reaction score
I've pretty much recovered from my trip to BALLS 20 so I thought I'd post a couple photos for y'all. I had a good time. I knew there was no way I could even try to get the record for the largest motor flown at Black Rock but I might be a contender for the smallest. I flew a modified Estes Mosquito on a MicroMaxx-1. The launch officially started on Friday with a minimum of 'K' impulse for commercial motors. Not wanting to offending anyone by violating rules, Thursday evening I drove around in search of an unoccupied piece of the playa so I could do a quick launch. The rocket, if built stock, would use featherweight / tumble recovery but this one was made with a 6mm MMT. Since I don't have that massive 13mm motor in the way there was room to put an improved recovery system so the nose cone pops off. You might not be able to see it in the photo but there is a Kevlar(R) shock cord between the NC and body tube.

Enjoy!

1630_sm.JPG

1635_sm.JPG

that is a really cool mod to the mosquito! I never would have considered a micromaxx motor. very creative!

Mosquito is one of my favorite rockets ever. I've got my first one hanging up in my room, built stock, flown twice. once on a 1/4A and again on an A10!:jaw:

nice flight!
Braden

Mosquito is one of my favorite rockets ever. I've got my first one hanging up in my room, built stock, flown twice. once on a 1/4A and again on an A10!:jaw:

nice flight!
Braden

Actually, the Mosquito, Quark and 220 Swift fly great on micromaxx motors. I built all three with 6mm motor mounts and nose blow recovery (I just put the end of the shock cord in the tip of the nose cone and put a couple drops of epoxy in to anchor it in place. I also used the 220 Swift nose cone to make a BT-5 clone of the Alpha, and a Quark nose cone to make BT-5 clones of Der Red Max and the Cherokee D (Cherokee MMX?). Haven't done it yet, but I still plan to eventually do BT-5 clones of the Big Bertha, Baby Bertha and the Goonies. Some day...

From three years ago...

DSCF0671-1.JPG

Mount%252520with%252520motor-4.JPG

Actually, the Mosquito, Quark and 220 Swift fly great on micromaxx motors. ..

Great looking Mosquito...Looks a little lonely out there in the desert LOL!!!

Yeap! Just about any BT-5 model can be flown on MMX motors... Some fly better then others but they are fun conversions.

Many BT-20 size models make OK clustered Micro flying as well;)

MMX powered BT-5 & BT-20 kits-Lg_00-10.jpg

Back