A rocket, my grandson and I

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigd847

Reaction score
Hello All
A few months ago I went over to my daughters house to visit my grand kids. 4 girls ond one boy. The boy wanted me to go out to the patio and have a tea party with him. He is 8 years old. I think it's time for a rocket for this kid. For Chrismas I just got him a Estes Alpha III Model rocket Launch set. Along with the kit I got 3 of the least powerful engines and 3 mid level engines. I also got extra ignighters and parachute wading. I have looked on line and the local model rocket club has regular launch meetings scedualed out in the desert. I am sure he will love the thing along with being an opritunity for us to do some thing togather. The rocket need some assembly. I would like to do some thing in the way of paint or some thing to make it his. He is a special kid and deservs a special rocket.
Thank you all
Bigd

Hello All
A few months ago I went over to my daughters house to visit my grand kids. 4 girls ond one boy. The boy wanted me to go out to the patio and have a tea party with him. He is 8 years old. I think it's time for a rocket for this kid. For Chrismas I just got him a Estes Alpha III Model rocket Launch set. Along with the kit I got 3 of the least powerful engines and 3 mid level engines. I also got extra ignighters and parachute wading. I have looked on line and the local model rocket club has regular launch meetings scedualed out in the desert. I am sure he will love the thing along with being an opritunity for us to do some thing togather. The rocket need some assembly. I would like to do some thing in the way of paint or some thing to make it his. He is a special kid and deservs a special rocket.
Thank you all
Bigd

Well, this is my 2¢, but any rocket looks pretty snazzy painted with Lacquer. It's shiny, smooth, and it comes in alot of colours.

Cool and welcome!

Painting can be as minimal or as involved as the two of you decide. Craft paints work well and are easy to clean up, but model paint, spray paint and airbrushing are lots of fun too, all depends on the skill level you two share, and how much he is willing to learn. Keep it simple for the first one, and try to build with each rocket you build together.

Also don't be afraid to rope the girls in too. I've had a lot of fun building and flying with my nephew and nieces, and can't wait till my boys are old enough.

Welcome to the world of rocketry (and to TRF) :)

For painting, I would recommend most any water based paints that would be easy for the builder to work with (and clean up afterwards). As they gain experience they can then explore lacquer and spray paints (unless, of course, they already have experience with such paints).

good magic markers (sharpie, for example) and stickers make for an easy finish that they can call their own.

Most important is to let him explore with the finish and have fun!

Oh, and I couldn't agree more about inviting the girls to join in the fun with their own rocket :)

jim

Water base paints with brushes, fingers, sponges, etc. Then you can shoot them with clear to lock it all in.

My nephew and I built this from paper towel tubes, card stock and a thin wall 29mm tube I had laying around. He glued the tube fins together in pairs, glued foam core centering rings to motor tube and transition tube, glued tube fin pairs to bt, marked bt, etc. He did alot of work other than rolling the motor mount, card stock nose cone and transition. It hasn't flown yet but it's absolutely going to rip on a C6-5. It's really light despite it's size.

Get all the grand kids involved. It's good fun.

Not the best pictures but gives you start to finish.

1. Design phase
2. partial build
4. paint, clear, ready to fly

IMAG0281.jpg

IMAG0283.jpg

IMAG0322.jpg

the metalic sharpies will go good on that rocket if i am thinking correct. Is it black tube with orange fins and nose cone? For my nieces, no nephews... i painted some small estes rockets black and let them go to town with these glitter ink things they had and they loved them. They also really really loved my fliskits micromaxx's

Good for you introducing the next next generation of scientists.

That particular rocket doesn't need painting. They are the ones I used for my grandkids too.

You are certainly welcome to paint it but if you turn your grandson loose with the stickers that come with the kit I guarantee he will make it unique. Add some markers and he will be in heaven.

He will, if like most of the boys I've helped, use every last one of the stickers including the outlined part with no graphics on them at all. Girls are less obsessive.

It will be his own design. :)

You DO realize your are sealing his fate, don't you? Now he's doomed to a life of examining every tubular item he ever comes across...'for the next rocket' AND most likely will become a 'rocket geek', ensuring no date for the prom. Sure-for you it's just a kit, for him=indentured servitude to Estes Industries until he moves on to (baabABUMM! "the hard stuff"). You heartless big, ol' mean baddie! Oh BTW- welcome to TRF!

Forgot we wee talkin Alpha III. My girl used the wraps and highlighted them with irridescent fingernail polish on the black. It looks pretty cool.

Back