NEW 8" GIZMO XL FROM PERFORMANCE ROCKETRY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think if I were to do it, I would sand both of them, but certainly wouldn't sand away the gel coat on the nosecone. I sanded a ton off the nosecone of my darkstar, and was scared I took away too much.

Braden

My wife had to sand the shoulder of hers also, but instead of complaining about it she just sanded until it fit. She said it was still easier than scratch building. I tell her & my son all the time, we BUILD rockets, if it was easy we probably wouldn't do it. I guess that's because even in this world of complete off the shelf Level 3 rocket kits I still prefer to scratch build mine.

Mike

Gizmo XL On a CTI L940DT, Alt 4008'
Photo by Patrick McConnel

MDRA2012_0415.jpg

MDRA2012_0416.jpg

Thats the 1st L640DT I've flown but it won't be the last, That in a 3 or 4" rocket will be sweet.

Just thought I would post a few pics of mine. I am using a Raven with the new Power Perch. The large magnet turns the Raven on and off through the nose and body tube. Perfect application for this set up. I will also be doing a cluster of 3 38mm airstarts. That is why there is 3 sets of terminals. I will be putting the blastcap somewhere near the hatch on the centering ring or just hang the charge in a latex glove.

Jason

Giz XL 002.jpg

Giz XL 001.jpg

Off to fly my Gizmo for a "shakedown" flight. L935 central with 2 H100 air starts. Will report results.

Jason let us know how the flight went. What size main chute are you useing? I am waiting to see how the piston worked out.
GP

Well, the flight went well. I would have liked less wind, but clear blue skies and 60 degree temps were great. Plus I got to hang out with Crazy Jim for a few hours.

Like I said, L935 central motor (54 6xl) and 2 air started H100 (38 2g) at 3 seconds after main ignition burn out (Raven controlled) I followed Gary T's build thread and built mine the same (Other than the air starts)

The flight went well, the rocket arced over into the wind pretty early into the flight. The 3 seconds after burnout seemed like 3 hours. I have never done an air start before, so this was a bit nerve racking.

Here are the pic's. (sorry no recovery pics)

I have video as well and will post later.

Photo's by Steve Pauling (Madbomber F/X)

---- I love the "dirtballs" in pick 4&5 ---

Princeton 2-10-12 028 (Large).jpg

Princeton 2-10-12 031 (Large).jpg

Princeton 2-10-12 035 (Large).jpg

Princeton 2-10-12 036 (Large).jpg

Princeton 2-10-12 037 (Large).jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! J, Great flight, What you get for altitude?

Baro-4582'
Accel-5239'

Speed 392mph

Air starts speed up...20mph ....lol!!

I popped a fin on landing. I think too small of chute. Tim and C/J say it was because of the wind blowing a sideways swinging touchdown.......bought a bigger chute (CERT3 L)

Jason nice flight except for one thing................

......Nah just kidding.. ...Outstanding!

Just every know & then we ALL find that one hard spot in the middle of a field. Lol It was just your turn.

CJ

Here she is, with fin repaired.....who would of thought I would paint it YELLOW???? (white stripe is because the nose cone is not down all the way)

Waiting on some decals and Thunderstruck.

Painting makes the dogs sleepy.

IMAG0065.jpg

Nice flight! What was your pad weight and what size chute did you use?

Sorry I never replied. I didn't weigh it loaded. The dry weight is 23 pounds. I was using a (too small) rocketman chute (size???) I now have a Sky Angle Cert 3 (L)

Next Flight will be at Thunderstruck with a (special) motor whipped up from our friends up north.

Look for the Pic's on the Thunderstruck thread.

Here is mine all dressed up. Is 3 enough for a gallery?? If so, permission to move.

The Stickers were provided by Mark at Stickershock https://stickershock23.com/

The "XL" is a carbon fiber looking decal. It looks really cool and the photo does not do it justice. Thanks Mark!!!

IMAG0087.jpg

IMAG0090.jpg

Looks great, Jason! I dig the c/f decals...wonder what the XL would look like with one fin covered in the same material (or Ultracote c/f)?

Planning to fly the XL at Thunderstruck?

-Eric-

Looks great, Jason! I dig the c/f decals...wonder what the XL would look like with one fin covered in the same material (or Ultracote c/f)?

Planning to fly the XL at Thunderstruck?

-Eric-
If I can land the thing without cracking a fillet, I might just do that. Yes Thunderstruck will be the next flight. 3 grain 75 Vmax and a pair if air-started 38-whites or sparkies.

Nice looking rocket Jason can't wait to see yours go up on that motor at Thunderstruck.

"If I can land the thing without cracking a fillet, I might just do that. Yes Thunderstruck will be the next flight. 3 grain 75 Vmax and a pair if air-started 38-whites or sparkies. "

Can you give any details about the 3 grain Vmax motor ? I have yet to hear about this one .

Eric

"If I can land the thing without cracking a fillet, I might just do that. Yes Thunderstruck will be the next flight. 3 grain 75 Vmax and a pair if air-started 38-whites or sparkies. "

Can you give any details about the 3 grain Vmax motor ? I have yet to hear about this one .

Eric

....Did I say 3 grain 75 Vmax....I must be mistaken, that motor doesn't exist ;)

....Did I say 3 grain 75 Vmax....I must be mistaken, that motor doesn't exist

I sure wish Dr. J would make some . gotta be about a 3200 ns L2800 there abouts . Buku thrust .

I sure wish Dr. J would make some . gotta be about a 3200 ns L2800 there abouts . Buku thrust .

Yeah, or something like 3260 ns L3208 (there abouts) with like 721.28 pounds of average thrust. I hope they make something like that in the near future. That would rock!!

Yeah, or something like 3260 ns L3208 (there abouts) with like 721.28 pounds of average thrust. I hope they make something like that in the near future. That would rock!!

If we all wish hard enough, maybe, just maybe one will show up at Thunderstruck:wink:

GRIFFIN, Your paint job and Marks decals are a killer combo.
Jerome...This man needs a demo motor...:D

Last edited:
Back