NEW 8" GIZMO XL FROM PERFORMANCE ROCKETRY

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good choice, Mark is awesome!
Braden

According to the folks at Rocketry Warehouse, when I ordered my XL, the decal is part of the kit and will be sent as soon as received fron Stickershock. Hope it's soon as my kit is built, primed, and ready for it's red paint---just need a warm day.

Fred

Fred Pics????

Ok, Here we go.. Been a little distracted lately.

Tne first jpg showes the nosecone motor extension bay. I used 98mm Blue-Tube and rather than use the provided glass bulkplate, I opted for a baltic Burch centering ring and saved the glass bulkplate for another project, as it is a perfect match for 7.5" tube, (another project)...:wink:

The next four images show the instalation of the ARRD recovery device, altimiter mounting cut-out, and altimiter assembly. The unit uses a screw type arming switch for powering up the Adept 22. Still working on the recovery harness and chute configuration---looks like it will be a tite fit.

DSC00399.JPG

DSC00400.JPG

DSC00401.JPG

DSC00402.JPG

Last edited:
Ok, Here we go.. /QUOTE]

The first image showes the altimiter installed and the remaining two images show the framed rocket under primer and it's base coat of red paint. Still on hold for my stickershock decal from Rocketry-Warehouse.:sigh:

PS: JB-Weld was used as the primary construction adhesive, with fast cyclonate used to tac glue fins, motor mount, and centering rings. West Systems epoxy and carbon fiber pulp was used on the nosecone assembly.

DSC00403.JPG

DSC00397.JPG

DSC00411.JPG

Woot!!!

Mine came in the mail today. It is MASSIVE! I can't wait to get started building, but it'll have to wait till after Red Glare. This looks to be fun.

Well the rocket is complete... Could not wait for the decal to arrive from Rocketry-Warehouse, so I took the next best option. My wife has this neat printer called Cricket. It prints and cuts all kinds of graphics, using paper, film and just about any material less than 90 mil. After visiting the local Michaels store she found a role of Oracal brand film, in black and also white. I think the results speak for it's self...:cool:

PS: The decal set did arrive by mail yesterday from Rocketry-Warehouse--i guess I should learnpatiance...:D

DSC_0030.JPG

Last edited:
Looks great.... I really like the color and the sticker is fantastic!

Looks awesome Fred, Whats it going up on at RG?

Good question: Unless I decide to make a three grain 75mm white or red load, it will be an AMW L-1860 ST or a CTI/AMW Pro K-700 pink load that I did not have the opportunity to use @ RG IX. Might also use a 75mm AMW two grain blue I have been saving.

Fred

These look awesome, I am new to HPR (Level 1 last month) and still not getting the grasp of the dual deploy on this kit. I understand how you did the nose cone, but how is the drogue and the main setup in 2 different compartments? I know I am missing something.

Thanks,
Rob

These look awesome, I am new to HPR (Level 1 last month) and still not getting the grasp of the dual deploy on this kit. I understand how you did the nose cone, but how is the drogue and the main setup in 2 different compartments? I know I am missing something.

Thanks,
Rob

Rob:
The Drogue and its shock cord are in the body tube, One end connected to the BT the other the NC.

The Main and Its shock cord are in the 4" BT in the NC, Drogue charge goes off separating the NC and BT, Main charge goes off blowing the main and its shock cord out the 4" tube in the NC.

Gotcha, went back found where you mentioned the tape and such. I know I went through this thread 3-4 times. But catch more things I missed the time before each time I do go through it. Thanks for all the info.

Rob

Awesome build, I am building a LOC 7.5 in V2 and decided to put the Parachute in the nose come. I wasnt sure how to mount the Altimeter until this post. I have one question for you where did you place the drogue chute in relation to the nose cone? If attached directly to the nose cone I would think there is a possibility to cause the Main to get fired directly into the drogue chute causing a tangle. I think it should be close enough to the nose cone to make sure the parts separate but not too far. I was thinking about a 20ft shock cord with the drogue about 4ft from the nose cone to allow the main and pilot shoot to be able to deploy without tangling. I will be using a deployment bag for the main.

Awesome build, I am building a LOC 7.5 in V2 and decided to put the Parachute in the nose come. I wasnt sure how to mount the Altimeter until this post. I have one question for you where did you place the drogue chute in relation to the nose cone? If attached directly to the nose cone I would think there is a possibility to cause the Main to get fired directly into the drogue chute causing a tangle. I think it should be close enough to the nose cone to make sure the parts separate but not too far. I was thinking about a 20ft shock cord with the drogue about 4ft from the nose cone to allow the main and pilot shoot to be able to deploy without tangling. I will be using a deployment bag for the main.

Exactly how I set it up, My drogue is approx 3-4' from the NC, I used a 28" drogue for its 1st flight but that can probably be dropped to a 24".

You basically want to use a drogue just big enough so on its descent you get the proper orientation, That being the NC above the aft section.

Exactly how I set it up, My drogue is approx 3-4' from the NC, I used a 28" drogue for its 1st flight but that can probably be dropped to a 24".

You basically want to use a drogue just big enough so on its descent you get the proper orientation, That being the NC above the aft section.

Cool thanks.

Hey Gary, Nice build (as usual). What size main chute did you go with?

Hey Dave thanks!

My GIZMO XL came in at 23lbs all loaded up (No Motor) so you'd have to choose a chute according to your build weight.

I use the Star Chute Large from Rocketry Warehouse.

Here is the GIZMO XL on the CTI L1350CS Demo at Reg Glare XI, Rocket is 23lbs (No Motor) Pad weight was 32lbs, Altitude 6135' Very Nice! Motor.

[youtube]UnRwS944y9g[/youtube]

GizmoXLL1350CS.jpg

Last edited:
Here is the GIZMO XL on the CTI L1350CS Demo at Reg Glare XI, Rocket is 23lbs (No Motor) Pad weight was 32lbs, Altitude 6135' Very Nice! Motor.

Still in a holding pattern for Peter A to finish editing Sundays flight videos. Only went 3553 on the two grain AMW L-700. Because of the unintended drag race on Saturday---no video of the AMW L-1750 flight, only went 4632". Both flights did recover as advertised using the Rat-Works ARRD for free-bagged main deployment.

https://www.mdra-archive.org/photos.../Full/November_2011_Fred_Wallace_Gizmo_XL.wmv

Last edited:
Hello Gary T and all
Gary
I am picking up a Gixmo XL from Wildman. Do you know the CP of the GXL kit?
Thanks Much
GP

G:
When calculating CP using Rocksim and the Barrowman equations you'll get 2 different values, What I do is take a ratio between the 2 to try and get about as close as you can.

That being said the CP for the GIZMO XL is 36.25" from the nose cone tip.

Thank you very much Gary. A friend of mine is going to pick up a Hellfire kit form WR.
That is a very nice kit also. Not sure if you would know this but can PR do white colored fiberglass tubes. It would be a very nice color for some scale kits.
GP

Back