Derek Deville's Qu8k

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edwinshap1

Reaction score
I'm subscribed to his youtube, and he posted his attempt at the Carmack Prize at BALLS. some pretty freaking amazing footage, 16 mins long, full HD, well worth the load and wait :D

[YOUTUBE]rvDqoxMUroA[/YOUTUBE]

This is truly amazing. Go to the fridge now, get a cold one, turn off the phone and sit down and hit play. :cool:

If that's not inspirational to a high power rocketeer, I don't know what is. Amazing project.

Simply incredible.

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

The on-board footage reminds me of the "Right Stuff" with Chuck Yeager's ascent in the NF-104.

Congrats Derek and team!

Greg

Did this rocket win the 100kft Carmack prize? I haven't seen an announcement yet. Maybe they're waiting to confirm the altitude before they announce the winner. I know that Jim Jarvis' rocket also reached 100kft, but part of the rocket was not recovered. Did any of the other rockets reach 100kft at Balls?

Wow, that was worth the price of admission! Thanks for posting the video. And, Derek, thanks for building that baby :)

I had the same question as Dave. >100k and recovered sounds like it should be a winner. But I thought I read where nobody won. Since this is the Internet, that info could be flawed :eyeroll: Waiting on official confirmation makes sense.

I had the same question as Dave. >100k and recovered sounds like it should be a winner.

One of the requirements was GPS data confirming the altitude. All four of the GPS systems on board were reported to have lost lock so there is no such data. (Two GPS data files have been posted and they are both borked.) All that is left is the altitude derived from integrating the RDAS acceleration data. Which is notoriously prone to error.

One of the requirements was GPS data confirming the altitude. All four of the GPS systems on board were reported to have lost lock so there is no such data. (Two GPS data files have been posted and they are both borked.) All that is left is the altitude derived from integrating the RDAS acceleration data. Which is notoriously prone to error.

Ah, thanks.

No offence to Derek, this was certainly amazing, but I still think Jim Jarvis's 100k flight was more impressive, in that it used two ceritifed motors, and there wasn't a hint of aluminum...it was all carbon fiber.

Braden

No offence to Derek, this was certainly amazing, but I still think Jim Jarvis's 100k flight was more impressive, in that it used two ceritifed motors, and there wasn't a hint of aluminum...it was all carbon fiber.

Braden

hiphopmediatraining-690313370-1253303071.jpg

putFoot.jpg

That has got to be one of the most impressive launches I have ever seen. I like that they actually posted onboard footage. I have noticed that isn't common with rockets this size.

Thanks for the support Braden - I appreciate it. But I liked Derek's flight too, mainly because it gave us a chance to meet up and talk about rockets for a while. And I'm happy to say that I contributed to his flight by passing on my experience in the proper location of his pad when he first arrived on the playa ("put it anywhere you want to Derek - nobody cares"). Great flight Derek!

Jim

That has got to be one of the most impressive launches I have ever seen. I like that they actually posted onboard footage. I have noticed that isn't common with rockets this size.

i agree, when i found out there was a camera i was extatic, i've always wanted to see a 100k+ shot, but then when i found out there were 3! cameras i was like WOOO!!!!!:pc:

That was simply amazing!!!! So many things that could have gone wrong and it all goes right. To bad about the GPS data though. Prize winner or not this flight sets the bar very high. AMAZING!!!!

It's unfortunate that neither Jim or Derek could claim the prize due to a technicallity. In the case of Derek's rocket, since we know the time to apogee was 92 seconds it can be shown through basic Physics that his rocket had to have gone at least 105kft.

Let's say the motor burn duration was 11 seconds. That means that the rocket coasted for 81 seconds. If there was no aerodynamic drag it would have travelled 0.5*g*t^2 = 16 * 81 * 81 = 105kft. The velocity at the beginning of the coast would have been g*t = 32 * 81 = 2,600 f/s.

Any drag at all would have required a higher initial velocity, which is consistent with the actual data showing a maximum velocity of 3,200 f/s. The combination of a higher initial velocity plus drag would still result in an 81 second coast time. With a higher initial velocity, the rocket would have coasted more than 105kft.

If we add in the travel during the motor burn the total altitude is even higher. Assuming a constant acceleration during an 11-second motor burn would yield an acceleration of a = v/t = 3,200/11 = 291 f/s*s. The altitude at motor burnout would have been 0.5 * 291 * 11^2 = 17,000 feet. So the combined altitude would be 122kft, which is very close the value derived from the accelerometer. Since the rocket had some aerodynamic drag, the actual altitude must have been higher than this.

Last edited:
Thanks for the support Braden - I appreciate it. But I liked Derek's flight too, mainly because it gave us a chance to meet up and talk about rockets for a while. And I'm happy to say that I contributed to his flight by passing on my experience in the proper location of his pad when he first arrived on the playa ("put it anywhere you want to Derek - nobody cares"). Great flight Derek!

Jim

Jim,
You humbly forgot to add that you kindly loaned us your small trailer platform so that we could carry the Qu8k to the launch pad and transport it back to the RV from the recovery site. Thank you from all of us on the Qu8k team!
Greg

Jim,
You humbly forgot to add that you kindly loaned us your small trailer platform so that we could carry the Qu8k to the launch pad and transport it back to the RV from the recovery site. Thank you from all of us on the Qu8k team!
Greg

I was impressed with the good sportsmanship all around. I was hoping that someone would take the prize out of the 9 entries, even if it wasn't Robert DeHate and I. And just about everyone was willing to discuss the details of their projects.

Someone brought back my 6" booster motor on their dune buggy.

Robert let the MIT team fly off of our pad and I helped them locate their rocket (except the 3rd stage planted somewhere in the mountains). I took a swing around the west side of the playa looking for Jim's sustainer... and it had absolutely nothing to do with him offering me a reward if I found it. ;)

I love how the cam. cover melted...When I was watching I was like what is this $&!* on the cam! :bangpan:

Last edited:
Okay...dumb question time:

- What is case bonding?

- What is fin-o-cyl grain?

- What is the benefit of that funky interior grain shape?

case bonded IRC is when the propellant is poured directly into the case so that the chances of propellant/liner being ejected from the motor are reduced.

fin-o-cyl is i think the grain shape,

and i believe that the grain shape helps promote a "progressive burn" with a strong oomph at liftoff.

i may be incorrect, can anyone verify my post?

Jim,
Greg

You're welcome. I've always been interested in "supporting" good projects. Nice basket though.

Jim

Basket.JPG

ED, you are correct, and can some one please explain the reference to the pic with the black guy and the white chick?

Back