Centuri - Thunder Roc (#5340) Gallery

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HemiLess

Reaction score
My son painted this rocket in celebration of the 100th anniversary of Scouting. A true crowd pleasure when he brought this out last summer during the packs summer time activity.

Thunder Strike

BSA 2010 - Thunderstrike-forum.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Since I really like simple, classic rockets the Semroc Thunder series is right up my alley. I just finished this ThunderBee, their 13mm, minimum diameter, rather long-ish rocket. The paints are Rustoleum white and key lime (from the 2x line). The green extends further up the tube than the cover art shows (due to an 'oops' when spraying the white), but I'm happy with the results.

I hope to fly this one soon.

Thunder Bee 1.jpg Thunder Bee 2.jpg

Good look'in rocket. Another one to put on the build list. Or maybe it's next tallest brother.

Here's mine, my second Thunderbee build.

I've flown mine plenty with a stash of old 1/2A3-5m MPC Minijets.
You'll be amazed at the performance on a A3-4t, it can reach 700'!

Be ready, the fins can crack at the root edge joint if it lands on a hard surface.

Thunderbee 003_WEB.jpg

Don't have one of semrocs Clones but do have an original from the Old Centuri Thunderhawk Series. This was one of my son's favorite flying models. it still is a great crowd pleaser on B and C motors.

043-sm_Thunderhawk (Centuri)_02-18-90.jpg

Welcome to the Centuri - Thunder Roc (#5340) Gallery on TRF.

This gallery showcases the Centuri - Thunder Roc (#5340) and those rockets derived from it. Particularly appropriate in this thread are the following:

Centuri: Thunder Bird: #5339
Centuri: Thunder Hawk: #5338
Centuri: Thunder Roc: #5340
Semroc: ThunderBee: KA-1
Semroc: ThunderChief: KA-7
Semroc: ThunderStrike: KA-16

as well as any upscales, downscales, clones, kitbashes or other derivative works. Even Goonies qualify!

Last edited:
Centuri Thunder Roc (#5340) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Thunder Roc, ThunderRoc, Thunderroc

Introduced: 1980
Final Year: 1983
Designer: Bill Stine

Type: Sport
Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Recovery: Parachute
Stages: 1
Length: 61.5"
Diameter: 1.64"
Span:
Weight: 6.6 oz

Mfg. Description: Biggest kit in the Centuri line, Thunder Roc lumbers off the pad under Super-C power, Or, remove the convertible engine mount and fly it with a D engine. Two 16" parachutes bring the big bird back for another exciting flight. (Centuri 1980 Catalog)

centuri-thunder%20roc-1980%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1980 Catalog
centuri-thunder%20roc-1982%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1982 Catalog
centuri-thunder%20roc-1983%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1983 Catalog

centuri-thunder%20roc-facecard.jpg

centuri-thunder%20roc-instr.jpg

First post in this thread featuring this rocket.

See Also: LINKS
EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Semroc ThunderStrike (KA-16) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

ThunderStrike

KA-16

Introduced: 2009
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x24mm
Length: 50.7" (128.8 cm)
Diameter: 1.34" (3.4 cm)
Span: 8.9" (22.6 cm)
Weight: 3.4 oz (96.5 g)

Mfg. Description: DESC

semroc-thunderstrike-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Semroc 2011 Web Ad

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

If you have any additional information on this rocket and/or catalog photos please let us know.

Last edited:
Semroc ThunderBee (KA-1) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

ThunderBee

KA-1

Introduced: 2004
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x13mm
Recovery: Streamer
Length: 14.7" (37.5 cm)
Diameter: 0.543" (1.4 cm)
Span: 3.3" (8.5 cm)
Weight: 0.3 oz (8.5 g)

semroc-thunderbee-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Semroc 2011 Web Ad

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Semroc ThunderChief (KA-7) Basic Information.

semroc.gif
Semroc Astronautics

ThunderChief

KA-7

Introduced: 2009
Final Year:
Designer:

Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 31.9" (81.0 cm)
Diameter: 0.908" (2.3 cm)
Span: 6.1" (22.6 cm)
Weight: 2.1 oz (59.6 g)

semroc-thunderchief-2011%20web%20livery.jpg
Semroc 2011 Web Ad

semroc-thunderchief-facecard.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
My clone has led a rough life. I built it using an Estes Mean Machine kit that I got with a 40% off coupon at Hobby Lobby. I made the decals myself with inkjet paper from Bel. Surprisingly great flier, but I set mine up for the Estes E9 and on one flight got an E9-1 when I was expecting an E9-4. Estes response at the time was to mail me a new coupler.:y: (Glad there's a new regime at Estes.)

ThunderRocVOAII.jpg

SamwithThunderRoc.jpg

ThunderRocdecaldetail.jpg

17inchzipperinThunderRoc.jpg

Centuri Thunder Hawk (#5338) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

Thunder Hawk, ThunderHawk, Thunderhawk

Motor Mount:
Recovery: Streamer
Length: 21.5"
Diameter: 0.716"
Span:
Weight: 1 oz

Mfg. Description: A great performer, this sleek long Thunder Hawk is easy to build and impressive in the air with flights to 1,000 feet. Streamer recovery slows the model's descent to a gentle landing. The Thunder Hawk is ideal for beginners and a super quick kit for more advanced rocketeers. (Centuri 1980 Catalog)

centuri-thunder%20hawk-1980%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1980 Catalog
centuri-thunder%20hawk-1982%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1982 Catalog
centuri-thunder%20hawk-1983%20cat%20livery.jpg
Centuri 1983 Catalog

centuri-thunder%20hawk-facecard.jpg

centuri-thunder%20hawk-instr.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
Just thought I would post a pic of my Thunder Family.

Thunder Roc, Thunder Bird, and Thunder Hawk.

The Thunder Bird is all original the other two are clones but with authentic recovery systems.

Post copied to gallery with permission

Attachments

• Thunder Family.jpg
    Thunder Family.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 88
My Semroc Thunder Bee

Attachments

• Thunder Bee.1JPG.JPG
    Thunder Bee.1JPG.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 70
Here is my Centuri Thunder Bird. Built it sometime in the 80s, so it's around 30 yrs old. Flew it only a handful of times back then. Ever since it has been on display in my home. Took these pics today of it, one with flash and one without. The white paint has yellowed a bit over the years but the pics don't really show it. Maybe I should fly it again.....

Thunderbird 1.jpgThunderbird 2.jpg

Centuri Thunder Bird (#5339) Basic Information.

centuri_engineering.gif
Centuri Engineering

MODEL NAME: Thunder Bird Also known as:

NUMBER: #5339

Motor Mount: 1x18mm
Length: 41.75"
Diameter: 1.0"
Span:
Weight: 2.7 oz

Mfg. Description: BIG, EASY & IMPRESSIVE!

A great demo bird, the long, thin Thunder Bird is recovered by a large 20" parachute. Two piece body assembles quickly and easily. Add this big bird to your fleet today! (Centuri 1980 Catalog)

Advertising Liveries

centuri-thunder%20bird%205339-1980%20cat.jpg
1980 Catalog

Face Card(s)

centuri-thunder%20bird%205339-face%201.jpg

Instruction Header(s)

centuri-thunder%20bird%205339-instr%201.jpg

EMRR
RocketReviews
Mfg. Page

Last edited:
DSCN1211.jpg

The Thunder family: Thunder Chief, Thunder Strike, Thunder Storm, Thunder Bee, Thunder Roc, Thunder Hawk, and Thunder Bird. Three are SemRoc kits, three are clones, and the Storm is an assumption as to size.

Only three of the series: Thunder Bee, Thunder Chief, Thunder Strike. All from Semroc. Love their kits.

Thunder.jpg

This is not a Centuri model Retro-Repro. It was hard to take a photo. I didn't care for the Thuder Strike decals and so, didn't use them.

From Semroc:
The ThunderStrikeTM is the fifth largest member of the Thunder-kit series. It is based on a design produced by Centuri Engineering in the early 1980’s. Each member in the family of seven is about 1.25 times the size of the previous member. All of the Thunder-kits are designed for the same long-and- lean look providing slow, realistic liftoffs. The ThunderStrikeTM is great kit for entry into mid- power.

Thunder Strike.jpg

I originally got my Thunder Roc as a promo/freebie (I ordered a lot from Centuri) My parents thought it was a mistake and made me send it back:mad: Six weeks later it came back with a note telling me that it was MINE!!! Man I wish I still had it ,it was tossed in the trash:jaw: and it only flew twice.

Last edited:
ThunderBee and recently completed (not flown yet) ThunderChief from Semroc. With the impending closure of Semroc I also bought a ThunderStrike and at some point I guess I'll have to make a HPR ThunderRoc clone which will give me rockets 1,3,5,7 in the series :)

ThunderFamily.jpg

I had the Centuri Thunder series fleet at one time, and I lost them all. Here are some screen grabs from an old Super 8 film that was converted to DVD. This is me at 12 years old in the summer of 1980 with my Thunder ROC. My brother is catching it. Apologies for poor image quality.
vlcsnap-13808782.jpgvlcsnap-13808924.jpgvlcsnap-13810719.jpgvlcsnap-13810731.jpg

I still have and occasionally fly my son's Centuri ThunderHawk.
It was one of his Favorite flying models in the early 1990's. His log book showed 23 flights on this model A8-3 to C6-7's. When he left home it handed this model to me asking that I keep it and fly it as long as I could. It's been my pleasure to launch it at least once a year since then.
Always a Super flying model. Long ago I traded the supplied chute for a 2" x 30" mylar streamer to help ensure it comes back on whatever motor is flown:)

043-sm_Thunderhawk (Centuri)_02-18-90.jpg

Back