Rascal, Estes Kit #2021

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...or a cross between a Scout and a severely truncated Apogee II upper stage!

I have the original kit, instructions, and decals. All primed and awaiting paint.

When I became a BAR, it was the kit I wanted to complete as I had started it almost 30 years before.

Still haven't quite finished it yet...

I have the original kit, instructions, and decals. All primed and awaiting paint.

When I became a BAR, it was the kit I wanted to complete as I had started it almost 30 years before.

Still haven't quite finished it yet...

If Scotty Dog finds out about the thirty years he'll be all over ya 'bout it. Ask me how I know that.

Got some pictures of your Rascal you could post?

Last edited:
What's the normal time period between ordering and receiveing custom decals?

To Tennessee, 3 days.

Order them now and I can have them in the mail in about an hour!

You could have them by Thursday.

Last edited:
Three days is good.

Nose cone filled with Elmers Carpenter's Wood Filler. Rubbed it in with a finger tip.

Rascal 008.jpg

Attachments

• bnc-60l.jpg
    bnc-60l.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 50
Here's a picture of the Rascal from last year after I completed the assembly and prepared it for the base coat.

For those who have not been paying attention, it's the gray primered bird in the center (relatively speaking) surrounded by a painted Big Red Max and a Baby Bertha in primer. Although the body tube and nose cone are similar/identical to the Baby Bertha, the fins are quite different. IIRC, the Rascal was a short run kit from around 1982-1983.

Regrettably, it is in the same state as we near the end of 2011.

So many rockets, so little time.

https://www.rocketreviews.com/estes-rascal-2021-bill-eichelberger.html

I was lucky as my Rascal came with the decals untouched. It was an Ebay rescue. Someone had bought the starter kit, botched it badly, then put it away and forgot about it until me and PayPal came calling. ;-)

036.jpg

067.jpg

Last edited:
I know the instructions say that the nose cone is a 60L but that sure looks like a 60MS.

I first saw the Rascal about a month ago. When I first saw it, I was like "That thing is so awesome!" I've been meaning to start a clone, but the last few days I have been involved in my Maxi Mosquito and Big Daddy.(Now complete!) Once I get some nose cones, I'll start a clone.

Here's a picture of the Rascal from last year after I completed the assembly and prepared it for the base coat.

For those who have not been paying attention, it's the gray primered bird in the center (relatively speaking) surrounded by a painted Big Red Max and a Baby Bertha in primer. Although the body tube and nose cone are similar/identical to the Baby Bertha, the fins are quite different. IIRC, the Rascal was a short run kit from around 1982-1983.

Regrettably, it is in the same state as we near the end of 2011.

So many rockets, so little time.

Great looking group of rockets you have in the picture. Thank you for showing off your Rascal.

I know the instructions say that the nose cone is a 60L but that sure looks like a 60MS.

You could print out the 1st picture Fishhead posted, do the math and find out.

The 60MS is 2.6'' long and the 60L is 3.1'' long

You could print out the 1st picture Fishhead posted, do the math and find out.

The 60MS is 2.6'' long and the 60L is 3.1'' long

No need to print it out. A few quick measurements from the screen a little bit of math and we can say that the cone is about 2.5" long. However it is the shape that is the real give away. The BNC-60L is an ogive and the PNC-60MS is elliptical. The cone in Fishheads pic is clearly an elliptical.

The BNC-60L was used on the original Ranger and the early Berthas.

I may be wrong about this but I think that when Estes started making plastic nose cones the BNC-60L was replaced by the PNC-60L. The PNC-60L was not only shorter but also elliptical in shape. At some point the PNC-60L was redesignated the PNC-60MS.

As to why the instructions for the Rascal would call out a part number that was obsolete at the time is hard to say. Perhaps the design had been kicking around at Estes for a long time before its introduction in 1990 and the part number was never updated on the instructions.

Last edited:
No need to print it out. A few quick measurements from the screen a little bit of math and we can say that the cone is about 2.5" long. However it is the shape that is the real give away. The BNC-60L is an ogive and the PNC-60MS is elliptical. The cone in Fishheads pic is clearly an elliptical.

The BNC-60L was used on the original Ranger and the early Berthas.

I may be wrong about this but I think that when Estes started making plastic nose cones the BNC-60L was replaced by the PNC-60L. The PNC-60L was not only shorter but also elliptical in shape. At some point the PNC-60L was redesignated the PNC-60MS.

As to why the instructions for the Rascal would call out a part number that was obsolete at the time is hard to say. Perhaps the design had been kicking around at Estes for a long time before its introduction in 1990 and the part number was never updated on the instructions.

The math does support your observation.

I prefer the sleeker look the balsa 60L imparts to the Rascal. Plus it is called for in the instructions and I already have it!

The 60MS gives a badmitten birdie kinda look to the Rascal because of its large fins and their sweep. This look may appeal to others.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other type of deal I guess.

bnc-60ms.jpg

Attachments

• bnc-60l.jpg
    bnc-60l.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Rascal 004.jpg
    Rascal 004.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
How 'bout that! Are you timing me? :shock:
Nope,just busting on you.Hope your skin is thick enough to take it.Cuz,I really do(as I mentioned before) enjoy your threads.You do very good work and I have gotten some good tips and ideas from your threads. Anywhoo- HURRY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:

Nope,just busting on you.Hope your skin is thick enough to take it.Cuz,I really do(as I mentioned before) enjoy your threads.You do very good work and I have gotten some good tips and ideas from your threads. Anywhoo- HURRY UP!!!!!!!!!!!!:roll:

My skin gets a real work out here, but it's plenty thick enough to fight off the average TRF'er (I like the way TRF'er sounds like I'm cuss'n). Even some not so average F'ers.

Good to hear you like the threads.

Last edited:
The math does support your observation.

I prefer the sleeker look the balsa 60L imparts to the Rascal. Plus it is called for in the instructions and I already have it!

The 60MS gives a badmitten birdie kinda look to the Rascal because of its large fins and their sweep. This look may appeal to others.

I have to agree with you. The ogive shape of the BNC-60L is more pleasing to the eye on this model. However I have to point out that the plans call for the PNC-60L and not the BNC-60L. These are two different cones varying in both shape and length from one another. Semrocs replacement for the PNC-60L is listed as the BNC-60LP.

https://www.semroc.com/Store/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1855

The fact that semroc offers two nose cones with the same shape and only differing by 0.05 inches of length (BNC-60LP and BNC-60MS) is fascinating to me. Was there really a difference between the Estes PNC-60L and The PNC-60MS?

Anyway all of this nose cone talk is probably a subject for another thread and I do not wish to take this thread off subject. Please continue with this great build, I am really enjoying it.

I like the 60L better. The Rascal looks less like a Baby Bertha with it.:cool: Until this I never realized that there were two cones that could be used to build a Bertha.:y:

Back