Balsa laminate

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Humma

Reaction score
I was given several thin sheets of balsa that I wanted to turn into a smaller but thicker piece of balsa.I know that i must alternate grain direction but are there any other hints?

When you stack up the plies, you will get best results (strength, warp resistance, material workability) if you use a main or center layer and keep both top and bottom plies symmetrical. Both outer layers at +45 degrees, for example.

This means same thickness, same grain direction, and preferably same material strength (even to the point of testing several sheets and picking out two that 'match' the best, or cutting one sheet in half to use literally the same balsa in two opposite layers)

Also, try to use about the same type and amount of glue throughout your ply stack. This may not be such an important factor but it can make a small difference

Then there's all the usual stuff about cleaning the joining surfaces well, applying uniform pressure across the ply stack (old magazines and books work well), etc

Just can't say enough about applying even preasure across the stack. And LET IT DRY !!

Back